Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jin Yong -- Rewarding References To His Loyal Readers

Default Jin Yong -- Rewarding References To His Loyal Readers

What are some references in the novels that you would only understand (to a good extent) if you had read other novels by Jin Yong? I'm thinking of the Yellow-dressed Lady in HSDS, who was made to be extremely mysterious without much explanation; but if you know about ROCH, then she makes a lot of sense.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    What are some references in the novels that you would only understand (to a good extent) if you had read other novels by Jin Yong? I'm thinking of the Yellow-dressed Lady in HSDS, who was made to be extremely mysterious without much explanation; but if you know about ROCH, then she makes a lot of sense.
    I call these things "easter eggs". Yi Tian has plenty of easter eggs, which Jinyong used to try to connect the novel - which is fundamentally a standalone work - to the rest of the Trilogy.

The story opens with a poem about Xiaolongnu written by Qiu Chuji, which is a nice touch. In Chapter 7, Xie Xun unleashes an insane rant in which he vents against pretty much everything under heaven: God, the Buddha, Guanyin, Yao, Shun, Yu, Confucius, Yue Fei, Damo...and even "Eastern Heretic, Western Venom, Southern Emperor, Northern Beggar, Divine Centre...Guo Jing, Huang Rong, Yang Guo, and Xiaolongnu". (This rather cheekily connects the internal mythology of JY's world with Chinese mythology in general.)

I also got a kick when, in Chapter 15, Zhang Wuji came across "The Two Beauties of Snowy Mountain" - Zhu Jiuzhen and Wu Qingying - who, as descendants of Zhu Ziliu and Wu Santong, are in Yideng's martial lineage. Readers who've seen and admired Yideng through the two Diao novels will see the treatment of ZWJ by this bunch not just as a betrayal but as sad evidence of how morality seems to have declined along with martial arts.

Yes, but those references are more or less explicit, i.e. Jin Yong actually says Wu Lie is the descendant of Wu Santong, whereas I am thinking more of references that aren't really spelled out, but are understood by avid fans, such as the Yellow-dressed Lady, i.e. it was never said that she is the descendant of Yang Guo, but the hint is definitely in the air.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Yes, but those references are more or less explicit, i.e. Jin Yong actually says Wu Lie is the descendant of Wu Santong, whereas I am thinking more of references that aren't really spelled out, but are understood by avid fans, such as the Yellow-dressed Lady, i.e. it was never said that she is the descendant of Yang Guo, but the hint is definitely in the air.
    Was Yang Tie Xin being a descendant of the famous Yang family a fact? Or is this mere speculation by fans. If so, does this count.

Quote Originally Posted by Felix View Post
    Was Yang Tie Xin being a descendant of the famous Yang family a fact? Or is this mere speculation by fans. If so, does this count.
    It's a fact.

The Demon Cult in SPW, which is called the Sun Moon Cult. Combine the words, and you get the Ming Cult, also known as the Demon Cult.

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    The Demon Cult in SPW, which is called the Sun Moon Cult. Combine the words, and you get the Ming Cult, also known as the Demon Cult.
    This might be true, but it hasn't been confirmed yet. If I'm not wrong, there isn't any mentions of Ming Cult or any of their personnel in XAJH.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post

I think its the other way around. Split Ming to get Sun and Moon as Ming Cult existed earlier than Sun Moon Cult.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    I think its the other way around. Split Ming to get Sun and Moon as Ming Cult existed earlier than Sun Moon Cult.
    What's the difference?
    ..ext88

The Yellow-Dressed Lady thing is a good reference, but still I think it isn't a very "strong" rewarding reference.

I think most people would surely have known a little bit about YG and XLN - and what happen to them, before reading/watching HSDS.
    ..ext88

How about this, the "Wu Liuqi reference" that was linked to the treasure in A Deadly Secret.

The reference is very short, and most would not have known who the heck he really is, if the reader didn't read DOMD before.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88 View Post
    What's the difference?
    One spawned the other, not the other way around.

But it doesn't matter.

The Yellow-Dressed Lady thing is a good reference, but still I think it isn't a very "strong" rewarding reference.

I think most people would surely have known a little bit about YG and XLN - and what happen to them, before reading/watching HSDS.

I thought it was great....implies that they had children...awesome....if you're saying it wasn't obscure enough and that eveyrone would know not just diehard fans...well...too obscure isn't good either.

Quote Originally Posted by Aventinus View Post
    I thought it was great....implies that they had children...awesome....if you're saying it wasn't obscure enough and that eveyrone would know not just diehard fans...well...too obscure isn't good either.
    I always find it depressing when these great heroes live out their lives in seclusion with hot women. Don't they ever get bored?

Quote Originally Posted by Aventinus View Post
    I thought it was great....implies that they had children...awesome....
    In a way, it was good to know that they did get into some real action instead of just hugging / cuddling around.
    ..ext88

In a way, it was good to know that they did get into some real action instead of just hugging / cuddling around.
    I've always been under the impression that Chinese people back then didn't like sex. They always talk about it as a chore or something unavoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    I've always been under the impression that Chinese people back then didn't like sex. They always talk about it as a chore or something unavoidable.

Lol what gave you that impression.

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    It's called "doth protest too much."

Banned

in lu dng ji theres one part where the guy was like "in the previous dynasty there was this guy called ling hu chong..."

whats that dialogue got to do with anything????? its totally out of place.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    Lol what gave you that impression.
    Reading wuxia novels not written by Gu Long and Huang Yi. And I'm only referring to the honorable"good" people. Obviously there are rapists and seductresses.