View Poll Results: Will Team USA Men's Basketball win the gold?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, for sure.

18 94.74%
  • No, they'll choke.

1 5.26%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is USA Men's Basketball a lock for the gold?

Team USA is struggling behind the 3 point line. I don't know how Coach K run his offense but I did catch the late 2nd half of US vs Greece game. Team USA's defense was tenacious forcing turnovers and disrupting the Greeks.

There was a lot of turnovers that the US converted into fast break points. If they keep this up throughout the Olympics most likely they don't have to put up 3's.
    "You can't make the world come out right just because you want it that way."

Did anyone watch Team USA vs Team Spain in men's basketball? While watching the game it reminded me of an organized pick-up game at the playground. It seemed like Coach K just let them run loose with the ball and create their own plays on the fly. There was no half-court game and Spain thought they could run win the US?

Team USA defensive intensity was amazing, they went after every pass, contested every shot, and stuck to their man "like white on rice".

Quote Originally Posted by MrPhotastic View Post
    Did anyone watch Team USA vs Team Spain in men's basketball? While watching the game it reminded me of an organized pick-up game at the playground. It seemed like Coach K just let them run loose with the ball and create their own plays on the fly. There was no half-court game and Spain thought they could run win the US?

Team USA defensive intensity was amazing, they went after every pass, contested every shot, and stuck to their man "like white on rice".
    they're not a well coached team, they have way too much talent though, that's why they're going men to men all the time, zoning out expose too much weakness. Most of the guys on the US team are good defenders to begin with.

Sucks to be the other team, kobe go out and dwayne wade comes in...

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    they're not a well coached team, they have way too much talent though, that's why they're going men to men all the time, zoning out expose too much weakness. Most of the guys on the US team are good defenders to begin with.

Sucks to be the other team, kobe go out and dwayne wade comes in...
    I disagree on them not being a well coached team. You don't have that defensive intesity unless you are very well coached. The USA team is doing a great job of playing team defense. They rotate when they need to rotate, they cut off passing lanes, they take away penetration, they fight through picks and screens.

On offense, they don't run many offensive sets, but it's shades of the new mode in offense, the dribble drive offense. You saw it featured prominently last year with the Memphis team. They space the floor, and depend on their perimeter players to beat players 1 on 1, and then rotate their players to stretch the defense as far as possible. This puts a lot of pressure on the opponent's and usually leads to easier drives and open shots.

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    I disagree on them not being a well coached team. You don't have that defensive intesity unless you are very well coached. The USA team is doing a great job of playing team defense. They rotate when they need to rotate, they cut off passing lanes, they take away penetration, they fight through picks and screens.

On offense, they don't run many offensive sets, but it's shades of the new mode in offense, the dribble drive offense. You saw it featured prominently last year with the Memphis team. They space the floor, and depend on their perimeter players to beat players 1 on 1, and then rotate their players to stretch the defense as far as possible. This puts a lot of pressure on the opponent's and usually leads to easier drives and open shots.
    honestly, they're not really playing basketball, they're playing street ball, and that's a sign of a non well coach team. You don't expect them to when they haven't really play together that much. What they have is better skill/speed/power when they man up, and it works well so they'll leave it at that.

honestly, they're not really playing basketball, they're playing street ball, and that's a sign of a non well coach team. You don't expect them to when they haven't really play together that much. What they have is better skill/speed/power when they man up, and it works well so they'll leave it at that.
    Then you're not watching them on defense.

You have to coach defense. Defense doesn't come from playing "street ball." If you've ever played street ball, you'll know that hardly any defense is played. This USA team rotates, traps, pressures, and attacks the ball on defense.

As for the dribble-drive offense, there's a reason why so many teams are going to it, because it's the one great way to exploit an advantage in shooters and penetrators. Though predicated on beating a player off the dribble, it contains rotations, positioning, and movement to create easy baskets. This USA team is making the adequate rotations to make the offense work. Their floor spacing spreads opposing defenses to the limit.

As I said, this team is well coached and they are playing well together.

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    As for the dribble-drive offense, there's a reason why so many teams are going to it, because it's the one great way to exploit an advantage in shooters and penetrators. Though predicated on beating a player off the dribble, it contains rotations, positioning, and movement to create easy baskets. This USA team is making the adequate rotations to make the offense work. Their floor spacing spreads opposing defenses to the limit.

As I said, this team is well coached and they are playing well together.
    Yes, Team USA's main forte in the last game was dribble penetration. It was used excessively to break down the defense forcing 3 or 4 defenders to help out. This leaves somebody open and the PG could just easily passed to the open guy for a easy dunk or layup. If Team USA's defensive intensity is consistent thru out the Olympics. A gold medal is a lock for them.

As for defense what can I say, They are putting the "clamp" on every team they played against. I can't wait to see them play Dirk and the Germans.

I believe it's both.
    Then explain why they lost 3 times in 2004, as well as in 06. They had a superior talent advantage as well then. The USA will **always** have the talent edge in basketball over other countries. Sure the other top countries can boast 3 or 4 or 5 NBA-caliber players -- doesn't matter when the team you facing requires all of it players to be in the NBA. If our players don't show heart, we can have an off-game (it's best of 1, not best of 7 -- we'd never lose if it werent).

They're not doing any such thing. Coach K has made a concerted effort to close up the defensive shortcomings that have plagued the team the last few years. They switch on all pick and rolls now, and defend them much better than in 06, which is something that you can't do without practice. On offense, he's implemented a zone offensive scheme which moves the ball to the center of the lane to break down the zone and then feeds to the wings or kicks for the three. They're also running a motion offense instead of the strict isolation schemes of the past.

This ain't 04, and this team ain't playing streetball my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by KChill View Post
    Then explain why they lost 3 times in 2004, as well as in 06. They had a superior talent advantage as well then. The USA will **always** have the talent edge in basketball over other countries. Sure the other top countries can boast 3 or 4 or 5 NBA-caliber players -- doesn't matter when the team you facing requires all of it players to be in the NBA. If our players don't show heart, we can have an off-game (it's best of 1, not best of 7 -- we'd never lose if it werent).
    It's not that easy, these guys rarely play international ball, rules are different, lines are different, if you ask me spain and greece play better as a team, they just happen to be slower, less skill, and less powerful. the 04 US team is no where near as talented as this 08 team.

The reason why the 2004 and 2006 Men's team didn't do so well because they didn't have a lot of team chemistry. They were all assembled at the last minute and put on the court to play. HEART has nothing to do with it! They weren't ready to play team ball because they weren't acclimated to each other.

Also the reason why Team USA are doing well this time around they spent more time preparing. They included more shooters in Kobe Bryant and Michael Redd, added PG 's who could play D. Most important of all these guys have spent the last couple of summers together to build up their team chemistry.
    Last edited by MrPhotastic; 08-18-08 at 12:43 AM.

The 04 and 06 teams couldn't stop the pick and roll.

This team can.

It really is that simple.

It's not that easy, these guys rarely play international ball, rules are different, lines are different, if you ask me spain and greece play better as a team, they just happen to be slower, less skill, and less powerful. the 04 US team is no where near as talented as this 08 team.

Not true..check the rosters. As far as play better by a team, I assume you mean because SPA and GRE run more offensive sets. That's true, but that doesn't mean they play better as a team. The USA 3 on 1 fast break is the epitome of teamwork, also you're only talking about offense. Who plays better team defense than the US?

The reason why the 2004 and 2006 Men's team didn't do so well because they didn't have a lot of team chemistry. They were all assembled at the last minute and put on the court to play. HEART has nothing to do with it! They weren't ready to play team ball because they weren't acclimated to each other.

Also the reason why Team USA are doing well this time around they spent more time preparing. They included more shooters in Kobe Bryant and Michael Redd, added PG 's who could play D. Most important of all these guys have spent the last couple of summers together to build up their team chemistry.

I'm gonna address what you're saying point by point, because I'm tired of jawing about wack stuff:

1. Yes 04 and 06 were assembled last minute ----but so had all of the other previous teams since 92. No heart.

2. Your 2nd paragraph's 1st sentence is simply restating your first paragraph, so see #1.

3. Michael Redd barely sees the light of day. Until the Spain game, Kobe could buy a three pointer -- and has been the 4th or 5th most effective player overall. His biggest contribution has been on the defensive end. So no, I'm not buying that argument either. No heart.

4. Your final sentence AGAIN talks about the time the team has spent together. Rehashing your first paragraph for the 3rd time is not making a new point, so see #1 again. No heart.

--In conclusion we've determined that the Americans in 04 and 06 had the same personnel (All All-Stars) and the same length of time to prepare as did the previous and current Dream Teams. The difference is defense, and willingness to battle when you get down by a few points. The old saying goes, "It takes heart to play defense". That's what this team has and what it didn't have in 04/06.

--All that being said, why are we giving them the gold already?

I'm gonna address what you're saying point by point, because I'm tired of jawing about wack stuff:

--In conclusion we've determined that the Americans in 04 and 06 had the same personnel (All All-Stars) and the same length of time to prepare as did the previous and current Dream Teams. The difference is defense, and willingness to battle when you get down by a few points. The old saying goes, "It takes heart to play defense". That's what this team has and what it didn't have in 04/06.

I'm restating all these points for you to get it through your skull that HEART and SKILLZ are what it takes to win.

What are you talking about 04 and 06 had the same personnel? Only 4 players returned from the 04 and 06 teams and the coaches now are all new. Their philsophy are different now, they are required to committ three years to play for Team USA, whereas in the past they didn't have training camp or practice to prepare for the games. And yeah I'm tired of jawing about whack stuff with ya too. I wanna see you try and go out there and play with heart and with no talent see how far you'd go.
    Last edited by MrPhotastic; 08-18-08 at 03:02 PM.

I'm restating all these points for you to get it through your skull that HEART and SKILLZ are what it takes to win.

What are you talking about 04 and 06 had the same personnel? Only 4 players returned from the 04 and 06 teams and the coaches now are all new. Their philsophy are different now, they are required to committ three years to play for Team USA, whereas in the past they didn't have training camp or practice to prepare for the games. And yeah I'm tired of jawing about whack stuff with ya too. I wanna see you try and go out there and play with heart and with no talent see how far you'd go.

Ok, which court? I've got the heart, you've got no talent.....we should be able to challenge anybody

Seriously though, don't be shortsighted. Tell me what year the US fielded a team that was less talented than any other team in the world since 92, and I'll accept your "talent is what it takes" argument.
    Last edited by KChill; 08-18-08 at 11:15 PM.

Not the same caliber of players at all. Additions like Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant are huge. They both make a big commitment to pressure defense and can break down opposing defenses. Players like LeBron and Carmelo are older and wiser, and are better all around players.

And, unlike the 04 and 06 teams, this team actually has some players that can bury a three. Shooting on those earlier teams were awful. Players would pack the lane, and cut off penetration, and that would force the USA team into a contested shot.

The three point shooting thing I agree with, but keep in mind that the US has only started shooting well the last two or so games. When you play defense like they're doing now, you're gonna get most of your points from fast breaks. Teams are still trying to zone us because they don't believe we can consistently shoot it.

Most of my boys think the big factor was upgrading the HC from Larry Brown, a natural enemy of mine b/c I went to NC State, to Coach K. I don't have a problem with this theory also, everyone who's been around the ACC knows that you either play defense in Coach K's system or you ride the bench.