Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should coaches forgive athletes for death-blowing mistakes?

Default Should coaches forgive athletes for death-blowing mistakes?

Many people saw what happened with Alicia and the gymnastics team final. Her female coach was NOTTTT happy at all. Do you think she deserves this treatment?

Morally, I think no, because it's not very "nice". BUT, at the same time, she DID let down her team members. Then again, I think most do forgive her because really, it could've happened to anyone in such a high-pressure situation.

Personally, I thought it was a bit harsh of the coach to do that in public. At least do it in private or something. Her Chinese coach went and gave her a hug.

If you were the other gymnasts or team members, would you blame her? I think it's human nature to be upset, but I think overall, they have been through a lot together and have gained common ground and understand that such things happen. She probably feels worse than anyone.

It's understandable that they'd be pissed, given that this is very important to them and they trained so much for it. But at the same time, they are under so much pressure, and unless you're in their shoes, you don't know what goes on in their heads and can't just so easily blame them.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

I think the answer is YES.
    Human is not perfect. People make mistake.... I think we should not blame her and move on... It's not her intention to screw up....

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I think the answer is YES.
    Human is not perfect. People make mistake.... I think we should not blame her and move on... It's not her intention to screw up....
    china don't win their coach jump off a building, so no this is probably going easy on her part already.

I really felt sorry for her..I mean there's just too much put upon her, especially someone so young. Ugh.then when she started to cry .
    Also, I remember just a few days ago a Russian female weightlifter failed on a snatch 3-times in a row and started crying a lot. Her coached tried to comfort her(good job on his part) but she just kept crying loudly..I'm pretty sure there a clip of it on the internet. Really, it's the athletes who are the ones under the microscope..coaches should be there for encouragement.

Men get their arses kicked all the time for making those mistakes. Bloody women, stop crying if you want equality.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post

Personally, I thought it was a bit harsh of the coach to do that in public. At least do it in private or something. Her Chinese coach went and gave her a hug.
    i thought the chinese coach was only the little one's coach (forget her name).

I saw the lady coach, and that wasn't a very nice thing to do. Understandable that they'd be pissed off, but it's the worst for her. She's going to have to live the rest of life knowing that her mistakes cost the team the gold medal, and there's no way she can make up for it.

I felt so bad for her. Well, life moves on. Just a few minutes can make or break a career.

i was watching cbc and apparantly, they had this poll about highlights and the choices were

1. Michael Phelps's 11 gold medals
    2. Alicia Sacramonie's fall
    3. Canada's 3 home runs in their only victory

ouch for her.

Well, it's a matter of risk-gain.

If you do well, you get the gold medal.

If you don't, you risk embarrassment, getting blamed broadly, and bearing an emotional scar for the rest of your life.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    i was watching cbc and apparantly, they had this poll about highlights and the choices were

1. Michael Phelps's 11 gold medals
    2. Alicia Sacramonie's fall
    3. Canada's 3 home runs in their only victory

ouch for her.
    That's really an 'ouch'. :\

What did the coach do to her, actually? Since I missed the whole thing...
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

so what actually happened? Was it anything like that russian/ukraine/soviet swimming coach that was caught on camera punching and shoving their student at the world swimming championships a few years ago?

No, no, nothing like that. She basically shunned her. I just don't find it very professional on international television. She can do whatever she wants off-screen, but it's kind of rude for the athlete and the country's image to do that publicly. But I guess emotions got to the better of her.

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    No, no, nothing like that. She basically shunned her. I just don't find it very professional on international television. She can do whatever she wants off-screen, but it's kind of rude for the athlete and the country's image to do that publicly. But I guess emotions got to the better of her.

really? where did u see that?
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

On TV?

---filler----

^ ARTS!!!!!

I just wanted to do this first before Ken gets here.

Coaches are mentors, teachers, and motivators and they should be supportive of their players no matter how disastrous the players performed.

This is not a matter of forgiving but a matter of growing and striving for perfection next time around. Besides, even if Team USA didn't have those mishaps will it be enough to get the gold? As I recall Team China had a nearly flawless performance and it'd be hard to catch up.
    "You can't make the world come out right just because you want it that way."

The lesson here is...if you're a gymnast and your coach is a Karolyi...you better not MESS UP!!!

From wiki:

In the day following the Olympic team finals, Sacramone was largely blamed for the American team's silver medal placement, and was the subject of negative commentary in media reports.[30][29] Sacramone herself took responsibility for the results, noting, "It's kinda hard not to blame myself."[29] However, several members of the gymnastics community, including UGA head coach Suzanne Yoculan, former Olympian John Roethlisberger and International Gymnast editor Paul Ziert, have noted that mathematically and logistically, Sacramone could not have been personally or exclusively responsible for the U.S. team's results.[28][31][32]

Ziert, in his analysis, noted that the Chinese team performed more difficult routines than the American gymnasts, giving then an A-score advantage of between 1.3 and 2.0 points before the competition even began. He also noted that Sacramone's overall scores in the team finals were 1.15 points lower than her total for the qualifying round, and that even with hit routines, the USA team would still have finished with an approximate 1.35 deficit to the Chinese.[31] Yoculan corroborated this analysis, noting on the night of team finals, "In the end, it was not the falls or mistakes of the U.S. team members that cost them the gold. It was the superior level of difficulty that the Chinese team had over the U.S. team. With this new scoring system in place, the team with more difficulty going in has more room for error. The Chinese team had over 2 points more in difficulty than the U.S. team. This advantage is hard to overcome."[28]

Sacramone has also received support from the American team. In one interview, teammate Bridget Sloan stated, "We've all made mistakes. It's just really hard to see her go and leave these Olympics knowing that she thinks it's her fault. It is definitely not and we've all been encouraging her very much."[33]
    Her team mates seem really nice. The coach is terrible... not even a word of consolation.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by MrPhotastic View Post
    Coaches are mentors, teachers, and motivators and they should be supportive of their players no matter how disastrous the players performed.

This is not a matter of forgiving but a matter of growing and striving for perfection next time around. Besides, even if Team USA didn't have those mishaps will it be enough to get the gold? As I recall Team China had a nearly flawless performance and it'd be hard to catch up.
    actually, i think chong fei also fell off the balance beam.