Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olympics: Poor sportsmanship or justified anger?

Default Olympics: Poor sportsmanship or justified anger?

Hmm didn't watch this bit so I was wondering if this guy is merely a sore loser or was his anger justified.

Angry Swede throws down medal, quits
    Fri, Aug 15, 2008
    Reuters

BEIJING, CHINA - Swedish wrestler Ara Abrahamian threw down his greco-roman bronze medal in protest on Thursday after his bid for Olympic gold was ended by a decision denounced by the Swedish coach as "politics."

Abrahamian took the bronze from around his neck during the medal ceremony, stepped from the podium and dropped it in the middle of the wrestling mat then walked off.

I don't care about this medal. I wanted gold," he said.

A bitter Abrahamian, silver medalist at Athens 2004 who had high hopes of top honors in the 84kg competition in Beijing, announced he was quitting the sport.

"This will be my last match. I wanted to take gold, so I consider this Olympics a failure," he said.

The Swedish wrestler had to be restrained by teammates earlier when a row erupted with judges over the decision in a semifinal bout at the Chinese Agricultural University Gym with Andrea Minguzzi of Italy, who went on the take gold.

Abrahamian shouted at the referee and judges then went over to their seats to speak to them up close. He angrily threw off the restraining arm of a team official then turned and left.

Swedish fans booed loudly as the judges filed out of the arena. Abrahamian said nothing to waiting reporters but whacked an aluminium barricade with his fist as he left the hall.

Abrahamian later said he believed his loss to the eventual gold medalist Minguzzi was "totally unjustified." The wrestler said his friends "called me just 20 minutes before the (bronze) competition, begging me to compete."

"I decided that I had come this far and didn't want to let them down, so I wrestled," he said.

Swedish coach Leo Myllari said: "It's all politics."

Myllari did not say if he intended to lodge a formal protest over the decision by referee Jean-Marc Petoud of Switzerland, judge Lee Ronald Mackay of Canada, and mat chairman Guillermo Orestes Molina of Cuba.

Other favourites went out in the semi-finals or earlier.

Athens 96kg gold medallist Karam Gaber of Egypt failed to make it to the quarterfinals. Aleksey Mishin of Russia, who took Athens gold in the 84kg class, was beaten by Minguzzi. Ramaz Nozazde of Georgia, who took silver in Athens, succumbed to Marek Svec of the Czech Republic, still fighting at age 35. Svec then lost to Russia's European champion Aslanbek Kushtov, who caught him with a spectacular fall.

In the heavyweight 120kg class, Armenia's Yuri Patrikeev and Dremiel Byers of the United States, both favored as finalists, failed to go through. --REUTERS

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest%...815-82403.html
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

He was classless for making such a scene. But if he was legitimately robbed, he has every right to be pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    He was classless for making such a scene. But if he was legitimately robbed, he has every right to be pissed.
    Came to the same conclusion.

However, It's hard for an outsider to judge since we have never been in such rigorous training. it takes a lot of dedication so i can definitely understand and probably would have done the same thing myself.

I'm a sore loser. I hate losing and I make sure the whole world knows when I'm pissed. Not very good traits I say.

if he lost because of the judge I'll give him that much... if he clearly lost the match then he's a sore looser (to be honest, I've never seen a true gracious looser, they might appear gracious but in the back of their mind they're still bitter about it).

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    if he lost because of the judge I'll give him that much... if he clearly lost the match then he's a sore looser (to be honest, I've never seen a true gracious looser, they might appear gracious but in the back of their mind they're still bitter about it).
    They wouldn't be elite athletes if they were gracious about losing.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Hmm didn't watch this bit so I was wondering if this guy is merely a sore loser or was his anger justified.
    he was just mad b/c he didn't win n the judge didn't give him the right score o something......

if u want to know SORE LOSER....look up Women USA gymnastic coach.....

No, he's not even the coach anymore. He retired...but yes, he does come across as a whiner.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    No, he's not even the coach anymore. He retired...but yes, he does come across as a whiner.
    no, i'm talking about the moron with the white mustache's wife.....the female team usa coach....his wife = sore loser.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyKing View Post
    no, i'm talking about the moron with the white mustache's wife.....the female team usa coach....his wife = sore loser.
    they're coaching for national pride, china coach said he'll jump off a building if they don't win, so being a little *****y about loosing isn't much IMO. Shit i'm *****y when I loose too haha.

"Lose" you mean?

Good sportsmanship is very important too. It's what makes an athlete/coach not a huge prick just because they have talent. No one likes pricks. That Chinese coach was just lame in making such a statement. I don't care much for Michael Phelps, but I have to admit that guy shows good sportsmanship all the way through. Great athlete all around.

the commentators mentioned something about someone stepping on phelps' goggles to see what his reaction will be.

anyone care to elaborate more on this?

Quote Originally Posted by pandamao View Post
    the commentators mentioned something about someone stepping on phelps' goggles to see what his reaction will be.

some1 "accidentally" stepped on his goggles...n water came in....(it's not during the Olympics)

Uh.....

I'm sure he has a spare so it won't affect him....what a loser if they did it on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    Uh.....

I'm sure he has a spare so it won't affect him....what a loser if they did it on purpose.
    Did you guys watch how they analyzed his body and said he had the perfect body to swim?!?!?

Amazing!

it was his coach during practice time.

Did you guys watch how they analyzed his body and said he had the perfect body to swim?!?!?

Amazing!
    it's all bull shit, there's no such thing as "perfect body to swim", he just happen to be in a super program with alot of people taking care of him. He's a super swimmer through hard work, there's probably a million swimmer with his physical ability that can't do what he does.

Sports and arts are both considered areas where it's not pure hard work. I may think he has better INTUITION for learning strokes, but body build definitely has to do with it. Others with similarly "great bodies for swimming" may not put in as much hard work and have great intuition, but that doesn't mean they don't have a physical advantage.

That being said, sure, most things in life is about hard work unless you're super lucky all the time.

it's all bull shit, there's no such thing as "perfect body to swim", he just happen to be in a super program with alot of people taking care of him. He's a super swimmer through hard work, there's probably a million swimmer with his physical ability that can't do what he does.
    i wouldn't say such. there may be a million people with his physical ability...but they chose either not to swim, or they did not have the luck to meet a good coach, or have the wealth to be in a good program.

No such thing as the perfect body? I say there is. There's such in all sports. I don't argue that hard work won't get you there, but sometimes the same amount of hardwork on two different bodies may yield opposing results.

Taller people excel in basketball. Are all tall ppl excellent in basketball, no. Are all short people not good in basketball, no.

My point was, almost every part of his body was structured in a way that allowed him to achieve these alarming results.

Amazing!
    That's what being on the juice will do for ya.....
    The US loves to suspend it's belief in that stuff only
    when it suits their purpose. You'd think we would have
    learned a lesson with Lance Armstrong, the last "fallen hero".