Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overrated Oscar movies?

Default Overrated Oscar movies?

So, I just watched Casablanca. I understand it was made WAYYY back etc. But I could not sit through it. SO BORING. And the acting was kinda ...ick. Tagline = "Here's looking at you kid" and I wanted to bop the guy on the head everytime he said it.

What other movies did you find overrated that Oscar critics loved and showered with awards?

Lord of the Rings - Return of the King. I liked it, but it's not that great for an Oscar winner.
    Braveheart.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

This kind of comparison is very flawed. Each year has to have a 'best picture.' If you don't like Casablanca and Return of the King, who else would you have preferred?

The other nominees for best picture in RotK's year were as follows:
    * Lost in Translation
    * Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
    * Mystic River
    * Seabiscuit

Any of those jump out at you as being more deserving?

I liked Seabiscuit better.
    My love and my agony.

Titanic....O.O
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr View Post
    I liked Seabiscuit better.
    But Seabiscuit isn't an Oscar caliber movie in the artistic sense.

Meh, I thought Casablanca was a timeless classic. One of my favorites of all time
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

The Sound of Music.
    I got dragged to it when it came out and caught hell from my former wife and a lady sitting beside me. I started giggling when I realized how the audience was being set-up for the tear-jerking scenes. It was so blatant to me that I couldn't help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    This kind of comparison is very flawed. Each year has to have a 'best picture.' If you don't like Casablanca and Return of the King, who else would you have preferred?

* Lost in Translation
    * Mystic River
    * Seabiscuit

Lol I thought Mystic River was better. Well, it's purely opinion anyway, right? But I guess even if I didn't feel another movie was more deserving, that just reflects on the quality of movies that whole year and how the Oscar that year is worth less than an Oscar in another year with more outstanding movies.

See how subjective this is....I think Sound of Music is an absolute classic!

Yeah, it is all opinion in some sense. There are still some objectivity to it though. I'd say it's probably 30/70 objective/subjective.

The English Patient for me dragged. The book was much better.

And Shakespeare in Love robbed Saving Private Ryan.

Departed was a big failure. But it got many Oscars. I don't understand the logic how the critics evaluate movies. The Hong Kong version was way better. I don't think Departed deserved any Oscars at all.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

Quote Originally Posted by odbayarb2000 View Post
    Departed was a big failure. But it got many Oscars. I don't understand the logic how the critics evaluate movies. The Hong Kong version was way better. I don't think Departed deserved any Oscars at all.
    The Departed was a good movie, probably one of the best of its year.

Now, it won Best Director because Scorsese was owed one from the Academy, and that was a big reach, but it was a very solid Oscar film.

The Departed was a good movie, probably one of the best of its year.

Now, it won Best Director because Scorsese was owed one from the Academy, and that was a big reach, but it was a very solid Oscar film.
    Agreed.
    I liked the Hong Kong version better, but The Departed is still one solid film.
    My love and my agony.

American Beauty was overrated. I didn't think it was all that. I thought The Green Mile was a better movie.
    "You can't make the world come out right just because you want it that way."

* Lost in Translation
    * Mystic River
    * Seabiscuit

Lost in Translation without hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by odbayarb2000 View Post
    It's obvious that the Academy wanted to award the director for all these years of movie making without winning.

Brokeback Mountain is another one in my book.
    Last edited by Canuck21; 08-17-08 at 05:16 PM.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    Lost in Translation without hesitation.
    But again, that's not the point. You're going to find people, for every Oscar movie, that prefers some of the other nominees over the winners. Hell, that's why the Academy is so large, because there are so many votes that it reduces the possibility of chance error.

But what makes Lost in Translation a more deserving Oscar winner than Return of the King? In order to be overrated, it has to be rated higher/better than it deserves.

And I can't believe no one mentioned Crash. That was arguably the 5th Wheel that snuck in there for the win.

Yeah, but who does the rating? A committee that is subjected to subjectivity (ha).

I'm not sure for these things, how we can really measure objectivity. It's more like--what the MAJORITY thinks. Hwo can you objectively measure one's acting talent? Or cinematography? It's not even like gymnastics where you have to complete a number of moves and if you can do them well without falling on your bum and maintain good posture, then you get more points. For art, there is no real objectivity in my opinion....only whether the majority of people agree with something.

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    Yeah, but who does the rating? A committee that is subjected to subjectivity (ha).

I'm not sure for these things, how we can really measure objectivity. It's more like--what the MAJORITY thinks. Hwo can you objectively measure one's acting talent? Or cinematography? It's not even like gymnastics where you have to complete a number of moves and if you can do them well without falling on your bum and maintain good posture, then you get more points. For art, there is no real objectivity in my opinion....only whether the majority of people agree with something.
    There are some objective rules to art. It's why you won't see a 4 year old's work in the Louvre.

Art works on expressionism, and while what is better at the elite level is often subjective, what makes something artistic is actually pretty clear.

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    So, I just watched Casablanca. I understand it was made WAYYY back etc. But I could not sit through it. SO BORING. And the acting was kinda ...ick. Tagline = "Here's looking at you kid" and I wanted to bop the guy on the head everytime he said it.
    I totally agree with you about Casablanca. Casablehca is more like it. Somehow I managed to sit through it, but still fail to understand why it has an 8.8/10 average rating on IMDb.com.

I'm also not particularly impressed with Shakespeare in Love, Ordinary People, Dances with Wolves, or The English Patient.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

There are some objective rules to art. It's why you won't see a 4 year old's work in the Louvre.

Art works on expressionism, and while what is better at the elite level is often subjective, what makes something artistic is actually pretty clear.
    Actually, abstract art is pretty hard to define sometimes by any set of rules. I think that what makes something artistic is very subjective because everyone defines art differently. One's trash could be another's treasure.