Thread: Los Angeles eateries

Default Los Angeles eateries

i've been using multiple sites (zagets, citysearch, google) to find great local eateries. and interestingly enough, some of the places i really enjoy eating at do not appear in these sites.

perhaps those of us who have explored some eateries in the area which they highly recommend can share it with the rest of us?

which place do you go to get really good peking duck? excellent thai food (especially drunken thai)? great korean bbq at reasonable prices? excellent al pastor tacos (or if you know the corners where the vendors/taco trucks frequent? best brick oven pizza in town? creme brulee? amazing indian food?
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

maybe the place is too big?
    maybe you have to look more specifically. ie, if you're looking for peking duck, try seaching sites for montery park or san gabriel. for korean bbq, try looking at sites specifically for k-town. etc

I'm not sure if this site is as big in Socal, but I use Yelp for everything from restaurants to hair salons.

yelp.com is your friend.

yes, i heard about yelp.com, but i've never used it. must start doing so.

the reason i ask is because many hole in the walls aren't rated or even mentioned on most sites. zaget and citysearch allow you to search by cities and even specific regions in the cities (i.e. westwood within los angeles), but despite the narrowed search, the recommendations aren't the best. at times, they are even disappointing. so i was hoping that i can check out significantly underrated or not even rated excellent eateries.

take for example, my korean friends tell me to go to garden grove for great korean food without giving me a name or address of a restaurant, but i don't even know where to start. i've actually encountered moderately decent korean food in garden grove. but when my friends finally take me to the restaurants they have in mind, it's such a huge difference!
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    take for example, my korean friends tell me to go to garden grove for great korean food without giving me a name or address of a restaurant, but i don't even know where to start. i've actually encountered moderately decent korean food in garden grove. but when my friends finally take me to the restaurants they have in mind, it's such a huge difference!

Let me guess, the one by corner of Magnolia and Garden Grove?
    "A girl asked me if she should spent money to change the way she look, I told her that she should use it to change her personality instead."

Quote Originally Posted by levendis d'orange View Post
    Let me guess, the one by corner of Magnolia and Garden Grove?
    i think i know which place you're referring to and that place is also delicious but more on the pricey side (it is worth it for the quality of the meats). there is another place my brothers took me to more recently that was equally fantastic (more limited meat selection but all you can eat for a price of $16.99). so that's why i opened this thread to see if others have more suggestions that i would otherwise never discover!

Have you tried Boiling Crabs, also in Garden Grove, yet?
    "A girl asked me if she should spent money to change the way she look, I told her that she should use it to change her personality instead."

You can go to Thai Town for some Thai food in LA, cuz some restaruant doesn't close around 2 in the morning. Price is reasonably.

Quote Originally Posted by levendis d'orange View Post
    Have you tried Boiling Crabs, also in Garden Grove, yet?
    yes! the shrimp is soooo yummy. oysters are good too!

Quote Originally Posted by SKYLINE GT-R 32 View Post
    You can go to Thai Town for some Thai food in LA, cuz some restaruant doesn't close around 2 in the morning. Price is reasonably.
    i've been meaning to. since i'll be unemployed soon, i will be visiting the place frequently! or at least once. can't wait.

btw, anyone know of a good mussel restaurant or where to buy fresh mussels for cheap?