Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reading Xiao Ao Jiang Hu

Quote Originally Posted by cristal entity View Post
    What about Ding Dian?
    At least DD always had the unbreakable love and support of Ms. Ling, who disfigured herself for life -- this was more difficult for a woman than death IMO. Also, he could have broken out of prison had he wished to after he completed his training. Thirdly, at least DD could defend himself against anyone, whereas DY was powerless until near the end of the story, where most of the suffering was already in the past. Fourthly, DD's woman died for him, whereas the woman DY loved died for the very same guy who caused all of his suffering.

I can think of more reasons, but I'll stop at 4.
    This account is retired.

I just watched some clips from XAJH 2001 on Youtube. I had been thinking of purchasing it anyway because I enjoyed the book so much, but after seeing a little of it I definitely will buy it.

I know they changed the story significantly in some places, but I can understand that. Having the hero incapacitated through so much of the story does not make for a good tv drama.

I just wish there was a complete box set available. I'm not happy about having to buy multiple sets to get the entire series.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

LHC still fights a good amount, he just has to win with technique rather than power. It's hard to portray DG9J on TV however. If DG9J was portrayed like in the book, it would look rather silly.
    This account is retired.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002 View Post
    LHC still fights a good amount, he just has to win with technique rather than power. It's hard to portray DG9J on TV however. If DG9J was portrayed like in the book, it would look rather silly.
    Yes, I can imagine that it would by the way it's described. A lot of the martial arts combats would look silly if dramatized as described.

Now I just have to decide whether to buy it from yesasia, amazon, or ebay.

The SOD 1996 is better imho.

You should explore buying that if you can speak cantonese. (although the dubbed version would exist too)

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    The SOD 1996 is better imho.

You should explore buying that if you can speak cantonese. (although the dubbed version would exist too)

Han Solo
    Han, I second that thought. Though I don't think they have it on DVD yet. I think there is a Mandarin VCD version somewhere? I love that adaptation so much, the acting is like the characters are alive in the actors.

I don't know. I felt the 2001 version lack that feel to the story.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I would not recommend anyone actually buying XAJH 2001. I've finally finished the last episode just because I don't like leaving things unfinished. I felt really disconnected throughout the whole story, and I have a feeling it's not the novel's fault.

But then again, this seems like a hit or miss series. Some will hate it with a passion, while some might just love it off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    I would not recommend anyone actually buying XAJH 2001. I've finally finished the last episode just because I don't like leaving things unfinished. I felt really disconnected throughout the whole story, and I have a feeling it's not the novel's fault.

But then again, this seems like a hit or miss series. Some will hate it with a passion, while some might just love it off the bat.
    Well I ordered it from an Amazon seller last night. As I said, I've watched several clips on Youtube and I liked what I saw.

I've also just finished reading the novel within the past week and it's fresh in my mind. That may not necessarily be a good thing, but I think it will help me understand the story better.

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    I don't speak Cantonese. I'm learning to speak Mandarin, so I prefer the Mandarin audio with English subtitles.

I saw a clip or two of the '96 version on Youtube also and it didn't grab me. I kind of like Li Ya Peng after seeing him in LOCH '03. He looked pretty good as Linghu Chong in what I saw.

I guess I'm becoming a bit of a ZJZ fan. I own four ZJZ-produced JY adaptations now. (runs away before she can be castigated by the ZJZ-haters)

Han Solo! I found the Mandarin dubb version of XAJH96!

We can watch it here: http://www.tudou.com/playlist/id/2478041/

The quality of the videos are not bad. I'm still not convinced that XAJH2001 should be rated over this one. The only fault to TVB's adaptation is that it's not readily available on DVD for everyone and there's no English subtitles for people to watch. It's only the slight disadvantage.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

LHC of XAJH 2001 treated RYY like crap from the beginning till like Ep. 36 which is totally bs to me! In the romance aspect I even think that XAJH 2000 (Anita Yuen & Richie Ren) which was an awful 'adaptation' did a better job than XAJH 01 did. I'm also really disappointed by the Xiang Wentian of this series. Heck that man looked like a petty burglar whereas XWT is supposed to be a grandeur haughty martial artist. By and large SOD 1996 is easily the best adaptation of XAJH so far, tho its cast members and the fighting scenes werent as good-looking as those of the 2001 version but the essences of and the connections between the characters were portrayed very well. XAJH 2001's RYY is the best IMO however. If only XAJH 01 had Li Yapeng replaced by Jackie Liu of SOD 1996 it would've become a near perfect series.
    日暮乡关何处是?烟波江上使人愁。