Thread: Liu Xiang's withdrawal from Hurdles 110.

Default Liu Xiang's withdrawal from Hurdles 110.

Liu Xiang withdrew in the Heats due to tendon injury.

What do you think about this? Let down for China's high hopes? Understandable? What will happen to him from now on?

Understandable. Treat his wounds now and he can have all the chances to seize glory for his country in the future. Run through the pain barrier now and he may ruin his own future.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Understandable. Treat his wounds now and he can have all the chances to seize glory for his country in the future. Run through the pain barrier now and he may ruin his own future.
    I think, by the looks of the footage before his run, he seemed physically unable to complete the run. He was limping afterwards pretty badly.

Feel kind of bad for him, but nevertheless, he's still a great athlete, and I hope he's able to recover.
    门前若无东南西北路,此生可免悲欢离合情

It's definitely understandable. Personal safety should still be above everything else.

I also think safety is paramount. Liu Xiang made the right choice to step out today if he was injured.

I think its also a massive let down for the people of China. They have been building up the Liu Xiang hype for 4 years. With constant replays of his Athen Olympics victory and endless advertisments on TV, posters, internet etc. Apparently he knew of the injury 6 years ago, and he obviously did not see the need to warn his countrymen about it, as well as his sponsors. Liu Xiang will be 29 by London Olympics. If he continues to keep form, he might still be fit for it.

Sorry if I sounded a little harsh but I feel massively dissapointed.

I also blame the pressure build-up on him to do well. But Liu Xiang made the right choice today to say NO rather than to continue and risk further injury.

It is disappointing definitely, I was also hoping for a China gold medal in track. No point in pushing himself while he's down with injury, he's not going to win and he'll just aggravate his body even more.
    留着青山在,不怕没柴烧

I don't know who he is, but if the guy is injured, then he should not be in the competition. He is not going to win anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I don't know who he is, but if the guy is injured, then he should not be in the competition. He is not going to win anyway...

He's the only Chinese who have won a gold on track, and short distance track.
    Imagine Donovan Bailey (who's actually Canadian bred, not Jamaican) getting injured in the 100m heats when he was about to defend his Olympic title in say a Vancouver Olympics.

But yeah, why bother race. If you are carrying a niggle, you can't medal, well unless you are bolt (pfft running a race with shoes untied).
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    You don't even know who he is, and yet you say that he wasn't going to win anyways. Sometimes ( a lot of times ), you just don't make any sense to me.

I think he means that if he was injured, he should not compete, since he isn't going to win (while injured) anyways.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    I think he means that if he was injured, he should not compete, since he isn't going to win (while injured) anyways.
    Now I see. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Thank you for your clarification....
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 08-18-08 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    I also think safety is paramount. Liu Xiang made the right choice to step out today if he was injured.

I think its also a massive let down for the people of China. They have been building up the Liu Xiang hype for 4 years. With constant replays of his Athen Olympics victory and endless advertisments on TV, posters, internet etc. Apparently he knew of the injury 6 years ago, and he obviously did not see the need to warn his countrymen about it, as well as his sponsors. Liu Xiang will be 29 by London Olympics. If he continues to keep form, he might still be fit for it.

Sorry if I sounded a little harsh but I feel massively dissapointed.
    sadly enough...i think it might have been even more disappointing for the chinese crowd if he ran and lost instead. but best wishes for him.
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 08-18-08 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    sadly enough...i think it might have been even more disappointing for the chinese crowd if he ran and lost. but best wishes for him.
    I'm fine with his withdrawal, I know he made a legit attempt to represent.
    Hatred is a curve blade. The harm we do to others, we also do to ourselves.

i tell you, some ppl argue for the sake of arguing.

To present something I read on another forum (translated):

Liu Xiang quite possibly had an injury and most probably cannot win the medal again. He had 3 choices to choose from.

1) Compete and by a minute chance, win the Gold Medal. Be hailed as national hero for years to come. Not to mention the sponsorships that will be piling his way.

2) Compete, and lose. Chances are, Chinese crowd will not be interested in hearing any excuse if he actually competed in the finals and lost. He will lose sponsorships and fame very very quickly. (IMO I think competing as in appearing to be running fine, not like the American silver-medal hurdler who stopped half-way due to injuries.)

3) Not compete at all and claim it is because of injuries. Knowing option one is very unlikely due to poor personal level and strong opposition, and trying to prevent option two, Liu took this option. In this case, Liu can still be hailed as the best hurdler who simply did not compete due to injuries. This way, he can still maintain a fair number of his sponsorships and support.

It is also estimated that sponsors lost approximately 3 billion yuan due pre-purchased advertisement slots on TV, radio, internet, newspaper etc, as well as decreased sales.

Major losers are Nike, Visa, Coca Cola, Lenovo etc.