Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Olympics: When will these whining stop?

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    IMO the performance on the bar itself was close enough to call it even but the landing was totally different, side stepping I believe is 1/10 of a point and that should have made a difference.
    they already deducted 0.975 from the execution. you have the eyes to differentiate between a 0.875 deduction and a 0.975 deduction?

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    they already deducted 0.975 from the execution. you have the eyes to differentiate between a 0.875 deduction and a 0.975 deduction?
    do you not understand? the execution was scored "better" for the chinese girl when she didn't even stuck the landing. How's that possible? both the girls made minor mistake on the bar and one stuck the landing, yet at the end it was a lower score.

do you not understand? the execution was scored "better" for the chinese girl when she didn't even stuck the landing. How's that possible? both the girls made minor mistake on the bar and one stuck the landing, yet at the end it was a lower score.
    Legs coming apart, less than vertical handstand, lack of extension, poor artistry, lack of connection, etc could all be deductions.

A step on the landing is only a tenth of a point in deductions.

Back to the original question:

Olympics: When will these whining stop?
    When the Olympics ends, hopefully.

ARTS.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Legs coming apart, less than vertical handstand, lack of extension, poor artistry, lack of connection, etc could all be deductions.

A step on the landing is only a tenth of a point in deductions.
    but that was on both girls, I think the commentator was also shocked that it was even a tie score. They could be bias but in this case 1/10 of a point could have decide who got the gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I personally thought Nastia's routine looked cleaner in execution. Shame that she lost to such a sad way. Maybe if she got a lower score, she wouldn't feel as bad.

and I just watched how they did a"tie" breaker..., i don't buy the math, but that is the way it goes.

I have to say KeXin had a nice release skill, looked better than Nastia.
    I also thought her routine looked better. She did a much better landing than Kexin. IMO, her mistakes were not as obvious as Kexin's. She really should have won. But I'm very proud of Nastia for being a good sport.

Yang Yilin's routine was actually quite good too, except for a few minor spots. She should have gotten a slightly higher score.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    I also thought her routine looked better. She did a much better landing than Kexin. IMO, her mistakes were not as obvious as Kexin's. She really should have won. But I'm very proud of Nastia for being a good sport.

Yang Yilin's routine was actually quite good too, except for a few minor spots. She should have gotten a slightly higher score.
    Agree with this.

if you're just judging from audience perspective...i think yang yilin's routine looked cleaner than nastia's, and yet she got an even lower score. but i won't claim to be more of an expert than the judges

they all started off with the same difficulty.
    I'm not an expert either, but there appears to be so many experts on spcnet.

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    I'm not an expert either, but there appears to be so many experts on spcnet.

well, i don't call myself an expert but I guess watching the olympics gymastics since 96's gave me a general idea on what judges like to see. Of course, I dont' understand the points given all the time by the judges
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

I believe I read somewhere that they changed the judging system this year and that's why it's been receiving a lot of complaints and "whining" if you will.

I guess people (audience, media, etc.) just don't like change, and they're ready to jump at it if they see something they believe is "unfair". If this keeps up, maybe they'll revert back again.

Heh, being a judge in this sport is real tough. You can never please everyone. The track and swimming "judges" sure have it way easier.
    Last edited by 999roses; 08-19-08 at 11:57 AM.

but that was on both girls, I think the commentator was also shocked that it was even a tie score. They could be bias but in this case 1/10 of a point could have decide who got the gold.
    the overall execution score was the same. but HE's middle range scores were better than Nastia's middle ranged scores.

Quote Originally Posted by bunny
    she only missed the gold by 0.075. any slightly higher and she could've gotten first. i find it funny how "self-claimed experts" keep comparing Nastia & HE's routine, while Yang's looked almost just as clean as Nastias and no one asks why she didn't get a higher score.
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 08-19-08 at 01:10 PM.

Are these new rules made clear to the team and gymnasts from the very beginning?

I find it perfectly acceptable to call the rules unfair, because that's just asking for people to re-evaluate them for future Olympics. Although really, experts should have more authority to make these claims than "self-claimed experts". But some people like to, and that's fine.

I find it UNacceptable to call the rules biased towards certain gymnasts/countries, because honestly, these rules should've been made BEFORE th competition. If it's unfair, everyone is on equal playing ground anyway, so it's "equally" unfair to everyone. It's not like they made up these new rules AFTER they saw the performances.

Although I find it interesting that the vast majority of people never research on rules themselves, and only when results come out (and often results they do not like), then there is a huge backlash on the rules.

Whenever the US wins the Olympics, (which it does quite frequently), no one seems to complain.

Now that China is winning, no one seems to be complaining except the US.

Both, Liukin and Kexin, deserve the gold medal. Liukin can whine because she had the same score as the gold medalist. The Olympics is held once every four years. It's no guarantee Liukin will be back in 2012.

For those who have played sports or games, nobody remembers 2nd place finishers.

Quote Originally Posted by jay_z View Post
    Both, Liukin and Kexin, deserve the gold medal. Liukin can whine because she had the same score as the gold medalist. The Olympics is held once every four years. It's no guarantee Liukin will be back in 2012.

For those who have played sports or games, nobody remembers 2nd place finishers.
    did you see the vault? the chinese girl that landed on her knee won the medal lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 999roses View Post
    Heh, being a judge in this sport is real tough. You can never please everyone. The track and swimming "judges" sure have it way easier.
    How does track and swimming "judges" have it way easier? There are no panel of judges except what is called referees/officials who are there to evaluate the situation/condition in all fairness. Obviously, track&field and swimming events, winners are determine by electronic pad/devices. So, no bias situation there unless you want to file a protest, claiming there might be some malfunctioning problem with the devices? lol

did you see the vault? the chinese girl that landed on her knee won the medal lol.
    LOL! How bizarre! I was more concerned why the 33 yr old German lady got the silver instead of the gold.

she was also the only one who could score over a 16.

actually for the women vault, i was shock to see that the North Korean girl won. i mean, she stepped out of bounds back alot. I supposed according to the rules, it isn't that big of deduction, but it didn't look that nice and clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    actually for the women vault, i was shock to see that the North Korean girl won. i mean, she stepped out of bounds back alot. I supposed according to the rules, it isn't that big of deduction, but it didn't look that nice and clean.
    high start value.

high start value.
    go figure, it didn't look as impressive, but no complaints.