Thread: Question about a veteran HK actor, "Sun Ma Jai"

Default Question about a veteran HK actor, "Sun Ma Jai"

During the 1950s and 1960s, an actor popularly known by the nickname "Sun Ma Jai" (i.e. "New Horse Kid," taken literally, or "New Sidekick/Flunky" if taken colloquially) appeared in a number of black and white films made in Hong Kong.

This actor amassed quite a fortune during his lifetime, and when he passed away around 10-12 years ago, his children and widow fought over his fortune, the story becoming the obssession of the Hong Kong tabloids for a year.

I'm not interested in Sun Ma Jai's life and career so much, but I'm curious about this stupid pose he always did at EVERY photo opportunity.

It seemed that during his later years, no matter what the situation or context...coming out from a restaurant after dim sum lunch with his family or friends, during a TVB promotional activity, or in the company of entertainment, political, or business celebrities...Sun Ma Jai *always*, *always* did this pose with two pistols held in his hands, his arms crossed around his chest.

What weirds me out is:

1. Why did he *always* do this pose? Regardless of whether or not it was appropriate?

2. Why did he *always* have prop (at least I'm guessing they're props) pistols to hold no matter where he went?

To me, it didn't seem unusual the first time I saw it: I thought...ah, just a veteran actor having fun with some old, iconic role of his, I guess...but then when I began to see multiple photos of him in that pose, I began to think of it as weird...and a little bit pathetic. It got crass and redundant, as if the man were known for that one role and one role only during his career and constantly needed to remind people of it.

It'd be the equivalent of William Shatner walking around town in his Captain Kirk outfit.

In case you're not sure whom I'm referring to, it's this dude.