Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Spcnet Members

There ya go!

What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I would guess the showstopper for him is probably the question alluding to his multiple accounts.

Really, we already know he's PeterBahn, so why ask and scare him out of the interview?
    Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    I bet someone asked him if he had a crush on Ken Cheng
    Both of these question were asked. I did include a disclaimer that he can decline to answer any question or ask for a replacement question. I'll wait a bit and PM him again. He really is one of the highlights of this interview series.

That said, I'm still waiting for a couple more interviews anyway. It's been less than a week.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    Both of these question were asked. I did include a disclaimer that he can decline to answer any question or ask for a replacement question. I'll wait a bit and PM him again. He really is one of the highlights of this interview series.

That said, I'm still waiting for a couple more interviews anyway. It's been less than a week.
    Maybe TC needs a translation software. His current one, which he has been using all along, may be down. Translation from Caveman lingo to Modern man lingo?
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

The intention of this interview series is to offer an opportunity for spcies to know more about intriguing members, and for elected interviewees to speak their heart/mind. The last thing we want to do is to scare any interviewee away.

I hope we hear from the remaining interviewees soon.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I would guess the showstopper for him is probably the question alluding to his multiple accounts.

Really, we already know he's PeterBahn, so why ask and scare him out of the interview?
    Do have shame PJ. It is Peter Banh. Not Peter Bahn. Remember what happened with the beloved Sword God, Zhuo Bufan. Are you going to make September TC/PB month now and inform us on this character?

PJ is the first screen name I used when I was initially exposed to the world wide web in the late 90s. No, it's not denoting Peanut Butter & Jelly or Pajamas. It stands for Personal Jesus, a song by my favorite band. I had first logged in to their chatroom as Personal Jesus, but people called me PJ in abbreviation, and the name was born.

In terms of the next great ELOC, please direct your attention to the forgotten Quanzhen Master Liu Chuxuan, whom I will allude to later in the interview.
    Thanks PJ, for the longest time I have wondered what PJ stands for. I guess I was lazy to ask. Am glad this interview finally gave me an answer. Perhaps I can ask CC the same question next time. Hmm, wonders if there is more to 0-0-0 then meets the eye.

Lightbulb Interview with Ren Wo Xing

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present our next interviewee --

Master Ren Wo Xing!

1. What is your real-life occupation? What do you do for a living?

For the past year, I've been working as a legal clerk at a law firm in Los Angeles. Not the most exciting of work, and I won’t go in depth, since there’s no way in hell I consider this a ‘career’. It's a straight-out-of-college type position, which I took since I am considering law school. In a month or two, I'll be going on a 2-3 month long vacation to China, and after that, we'll see.

2. What do you do as past-time, other than visiting spcnet?

Reading and writing, primarily fiction and/or news for the former. I'd troll the novel I'm working on, but I'm in the middle of significantly revising/retconning it right now. Also some translation on the side. Some video games on occasion; primarily RPG's. I don't watch much TV, although I try to keep up with episodes of The Daily Show, since 30 minutes of that is worth more than an entire 24 hours news coverage of the actual news networks.

3. Why did you initially join SPCNET? What about SPCNET makes you stay?

Wuxia Fiction, and Wuxia Translations. Virtually the entirety of my post count is and remains there. I am at this forum first and foremost for those two sections, and if they ever disappeared, by and large I would as well. I love literature, and I love discussing literature almost as much.

4. Have you met any SPCNET member? If so, who are they? What was your first impression of the person(s)? Was the person's real life personality similar to that of his/her online personality?

RYY and Bunny. The three of us, plus a friend of mine, hung out for a night. It was fun, and both of them are great girls. When I first met her, I was unprepared for how short Bunny was. And then, a few minutes later, I noticed she was wearing heels. (Yes, that was for you, Bunny). Both of them were pretty chill. I met up with RYY first, and we grabbed some food at Subways while waiting for Bunny, who was rather more subdued than her online counterpart at first.

5. Are you always serious in real life? What can make you laugh heartily?

Actually, as I think everyone who has met me, spoken to me, or even chatted to me using some form of IM software can attest, I'm pretty laid back and relaxed in real life. I laugh easily and enthusiastically at clever things. I think the issue at hand is that I've always done a great deal of reading, both before and during college, where I studied political science. Forums don't really work like a 'back and forth' conversation to me (I'm pretty laid back/casual for those); when I see posts, I go into a somewhat more logical, analytical, 'thinking' mode, as opposed to chatting, where I usually just blurt out whatever comes to mind. On forums, here and elsewhere, when I post, I am in my 'thinking' mode, and when I am in my 'thinking' mode, I tend to be much more serious. In particular, when I am in my 'thinking' mode I can often be biting and do not lightly suffer nonsense or silliness, much less insults and stupidity. I tend to find that they often come together in one package, and as people have probably noted by now, I'll definitely snap back if someone bites at me.

6. Describe yourself. Do you think people perceive you in the same way? How well does your online personality reflect your personality in real life?

I'd really rather not describe myself in length, since doing so smacks of narcissism. If I could use only a single word, I would choose the word, ‘pragmatic’, but that in no way fully represents myself. So why don't I give a few of my personal favorite quotes instead? Naturally, none of them perfectly represent me and my way of thinking...but as some of my favorite quotes, I think they can give a degree of insight into how I think with regards to certain aspects of life.

"天生我才必有用,千金散尽还复来" - "Heaven has given to me talent for a purpose; though a thousand pieces of gold be scattered, they shall all return." The poet, Li Bai.

"宁可我负天下人,不可天下人负我" - "Better that I betray the people of the world, than allow the people of the world to betray me." The warlord, Cao Cao, in perhaps the most deliciously brutal and ruthless quote of all time.

"人生自古谁无死,留取丹心照汗青" - "Since the days of the ancients, what man does not one day die? Leave believe a noble heart and illuminate posterity." The general, Wen Tianxiang.

“成者为王,败者为寇 " - "Those who succeed are named kings. Those who fail are named bandits.” Chinese axiom.

“History is written by the victors” – The politician, Winston Churchill.

And a personal favorite, which most aptly describes me, as well as many people, I think:

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes." – The poet, Walt Whitman.

I think I answered the second part of this question in the previous one. With regards to the first, I've often wondered, but never too much. No one will ever really know what other people think when they see someone else. A person can present himself one way, but be viewed totally differently by others.

7. When was the last time you cried, and what made you do it?

As of just a few months ago, I would've had to look back years. But to answer your question, the last time I shed tears was when I received news that my great grandmother had passed away. We were very close. She was 99 years old, and approaching her 100th birthday, for which I was going to be in China and which everyone was intending to celebrate. Unfortunately, the unusually cold spring of this year, which saw huge snowstorms in China, torpedoed that. Old people can't handle the cold very well, and she caught sick. She will be deeply missed.

8. What is the first thing that attracts you to the opposite sex? What is your dream girl like?

To be absolutely honest here, as with almost all guys, the first thing is generally looks. Guys who claim otherwise are generally (although not always) full of it. It's not the only thing, nor necessarily even the most important thing, but looks are an important thing, and one which can be easily judged in a moment; whether or not a person is intelligent, humorous, kind, etc., are all equally if not more important, but take longer to determine, and can even be hidden. So looks are the first thing which determine my interest.

To utter a bit of self-indulgent profundity, I think when a person falls in love with someone, they won't be dreaming of another, so that person would be my 'dream girl'. Short of that, there's no such thing for me, and I actually think this sort of question is a bit inane. Dreams can be wonderful things, but they lose much of their mystery and enjoyment when you try to define them. I'm not really interested in looking for or defining a 'dream girl' or a 'perfect match'.

9. If you were stranded on a deserted island for about a month or so, which 5 spcnet members would you want to be with you? Why?

Do we have food on this island? If not, I would select whoever is the plumpest...

If we do have food, I'd bring along five hotties amongst the ladies and treat it as a vacation. It's only a month, after all.

10. What is the soup of your dream?

Dear lady, the stuff of my dreams is formed from things far deeper, darker, and grander than soup.

But I suppose clam chowder is decent.

Thank you very much, interviewees and readers! We are half-way there!

I am proud of you all!

Calling for additional/follow-up questions for PJ and RWX.

Mine to RWX:
    - Who is your favorite ancient Chinese poet?
    - Which places in China are you visiting? Are you going to climb Mt. Huashan?

To RWX:

Your quotes are definitely the well-written ones, however, I do not see how they actually depict you. Based on your quote (rather I betray the world than the world betray me), you seem to fall into the filthy lawyer category, do you see yourself as one?
    Hatred is a curve blade. The harm we do to others, we also do to ourselves.

i tell you, some ppl argue for the sake of arguing.

That's a good one Panda. => Lawyer vs. Lawyer.

People, TC has agreed to be interviewed. Do ourselves a favor and don't scare him away okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie
    9. If you were stranded on a deserted island for about a month or so, which 5 spcnet members would you want to be with you? Why?

Do we have food on this island? If not, I would select whoever is the plumpest...
    you and Candy should take each other to the island....

Quote Originally Posted by Personal Jesus
    In terms of the next great ELOC, please direct your attention to the forgotten Quanzhen Master Liu Chuxuan, whom I will allude to later in the interview.
    How do you decide which ELOC to promote next? Do you suddenly have the passion for the character, randomly pick off the top of your head, carefully select from a list, or others?
    Last edited by S Beaver; 09-08-08 at 04:35 PM.
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

Mine to RWX:
    - Who is your favorite ancient Chinese poet?
    Definitely Li Bai. There is a certain inspired and inspiring energy to his poems, especially the alcohol related ones! I'm suddenly reminded of a poem Du Fu wrote about Li Bai:

"With each swig of wine, a hundred poems pour from his mind,
    At a wine-house on the road to Chang'an Li Bai slumbers, reclined.
    The Son of Heaven beckons to him, but he pays no mind,
    Proclaiming himself, instead, the God of Wine."

My humble translation.

- Which places in China are you visiting? Are you going to climb Mt. Huashan?
    Chengdu and Shanghai are pretty certain. There's also a decent chance that I will pay a visit to Yunnan with a lady friend of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandamao
    Your quotes are definitely the well-written ones, however, I do not see how they actually depict you. Based on your quote (rather I betray the world than the world betray me), you seem to fall into the filthy lawyer category, do you see yourself as one?
    Sure they do. I'll give a quick breakdown:

"天生我才必有用,千金散尽还复来": Me and money. I rarely spend much, mostly because I don't really want much, but the word niggardly will never apply to me; I once blew around $3000 USD on alcohol and bar-hopping in about two weeks or so in China, after spending that amount on all expenses (including rent) for maybe half a year before that. And, like the God of Wine, I'm confident about making it back.

"宁可我负天下人,不可天下人负我": Me and people screwing me over. Not so much filthy lawyer, but vindictive SOB. I'm a pretty placid guy IRL generally and I don't take much to heart, but if I really think you're trying to unjustly screw me over, well...I pay my debts, and, thanks to GWB, I have presidential sanction for pre-emptive payment

"人生自古谁无死,留取丹心照汗青": Me and character. This quote is a pretty famous one, and I'll let it stand by itself.

“成者为王,败者为寇 "/“History is written by the victors”: A combination of pragmatism, cynicism, and belief in relative morality. I honestly believe there are really only two types of idealists in the world; the frauds, and the blind (willfully so or otherwise).

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes.": A note that all of the above should be taken with a grain of salt. People aren't and can't be fixed down as 'X' type of person or 'Y' type of person. I don't really believe in black and white, save as general starting points of principles. The real deal for almost everything is found in the grey.

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 09-08-08 at 04:38 PM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Cool. I've identified someone to chat poems with.

That's a very nice translation actually.

"人生自古谁无死,留取丹心照汗青" vs. "宁可我负天下人,不可天下人负我" + “成者为王,败者为寇 "
    Poor Mr. Wen, the opposite of Cao Cao. But I'm sure he did die holding his head high.
    ~求仁得仁~

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    Definitely Li Bai. There is a certain inspired and inspiring energy to his poems, especially the alcohol related ones! I'm suddenly reminded of a poem Du Fu wrote about Li Bai:

"With each swig of wine, a hundred poems pour from his mind,
    At a wine-house on the road to Chang'an Li Bai slumbers, reclined.
    The Son of Heaven beckons to him, but he pays no mind,
    Proclaiming himself, instead, the God of Wine."

My humble translation.

Chengdu and Shanghai are pretty certain. There's also a decent chance that I will pay a visit to Yunnan with a lady friend of mine.

Sure they do. I'll give a quick breakdown:

"天生我才必有用,千金散尽还复来": Me and money. I rarely spend much, mostly because I don't really want much, but the word niggardly will never apply to me; I once blew around $3000 USD on alcohol and bar-hopping in about two weeks or so in China, after spending that amount on all expenses (including rent) for maybe half a year before that. And, like the God of Wine, I'm confident about making it back.

"宁可我负天下人,不可天下人负我": Me and people screwing me over. Not so much filthy lawyer, but vindictive SOB. I'm a pretty placid guy IRL generally and I don't take much to heart, but if I really think you're trying to unjustly screw me over, well...I pay my debts, and, thanks to GWB, I have presidential sanction for pre-emptive payment

"人生自古谁无死,留取丹心照汗青": Me and character. This quote is a pretty famous one, and I'll let it stand by itself.

“成者为王,败者为寇 "/“History is written by the victors”: A combination of pragmatism, cynicism, and belief in relative morality. I honestly believe there are really only two types of idealists in the world; the frauds, and the blind (willfully so or otherwise).

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes.": A note that all of the above should be taken with a grain of salt. People aren't and can't be fixed down as 'X' type of person or 'Y' type of person. I don't really believe in black and white, save as general starting points of principles. The real deal for almost everything is found in the grey.

I hope this helps!
    Lol, should have met you earlier. I was struggling in an upper division Chinese Lit class reading "Mad Man's Diary." Boy, that was sure a struggle!

You pretty much summed it up nicely, quite scary as a person though. I'll probably keep you in close proximity to only spy on your every moves in fear of future revenge.
    Hatred is a curve blade. The harm we do to others, we also do to ourselves.

i tell you, some ppl argue for the sake of arguing.

Expression, stealing my RWX for interview.

I like RWX's quotes though. I guess RWX must be a pretty big person.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Maybe TC needs a translation software. His current one, which he has been using all along, may be down. Translation from Caveman lingo to Modern man lingo?
    Be nice. Or I'll start being serious.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Expression, stealing my RWX for interview.
    Thank you. I take that as a compliment.
    Yushi is my target for the next round.

I like RWX's quotes though. I guess RWX must be a pretty big person.
    Very cool, yet also contradictory. You can't be both Wen Tian Xiang and Cao Cao at the same time. But we all know that Ren Wo Xing is modeled after Cao Cao.

Lightbulb Interview with Trien Chieu

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present our next interviewee --

Mr. Trien Chieu.

1. What is your real-life occupation? What do you do for a living?

I hold a master degree in mathematics and unfortunately still have no luck to land a teaching job in community college yet. Those jobs are very scarce. Currently work part time as a private math tutor.

2. What do you do as past-time, other than visiting spcnet?

Watching wuxia/ancient series, news, discovery channel, some sports, talk show, ect...

3. Why did you initially join SPCNET? What about SPCNET makes you stay?

To debate, express opinion, talk about wuxia...

4. Describe yourself. Do you think people perceive you in the same way? How well does your online personality reflect your personality in real life?

I am quiet, social conservative (believe in abstinence, against legalizing of drugs and prostitution), believe in personal responsibility and personal behavior... Like to spend time stay home watching tv/series. Only spend what I can afford, do not like to carry a balance on my credit card. I infact always pay off in time...

5. Who is your favorite male and female SPCNET member? Who would you want to meet in real life?

Happy Kadaw even though he rarely make a comment about my posts, I agree with him mostly on politics. I tend to like people who are social conservative more than liberal even though I am an atheist....

6. You seem to hold a number of views and values that differ from many. Why do you think this is the case? What or who has the biggest influence in shaping your views?

Well, I think most people here are very social liberal who are for abortion, legalizing of drug and prostitution, ect... which I strongly against...

7. How do you explain the coincidence of heavy overlap between your viewpoints and those of previous poster PeterBanh, who sadly discontinued posting before you joined this forum?

Well, I don't know. I guess he is very social conservative and you guys teamed up against him so I think he gotta quit...

8. What is the most expensive luxury item you have ever bought?

I am very careful about money so I rather pay off all my debt such as student loan than spend money on luxury. I rather save up money for rainy day. I rather spend the money that I have for penny stock hoping for a big gain than buy luxury item that I don't need. As you guy probably know, I just bought a 2004 honda civic for $14,500 including tax... That is the priciest thing I ever bought, I don't know whether you considered that as a luxury item or not.

9. If you only had three months to live, how would you spend them? Would you come to spcnet and tell the forum you are going to die? Would you ask to meet any Spcnet members? Or will you just disappear from the forum?

If that is the case then I would spend those precious time with my family as they are my only loved ones. You know, I just turned 30 and still single. I will probably posted on SpcNet, but not ask about to meet anyone here... I am always very careful about what I eat, don't do anything foolish, don't go to any dangerous neighborhood, ect... so I expect to live till 80s or 90s or more...

10. Do you really have a crush on Ken Cheng? How about Ji Gong? Have you ever had a crush on someone in real life?

No, I am not gay. However, I admire him because he is a teacher. In addition, he said he is like 35 and still single. I have a feeling that I might head down that road as well as there aren't many people out there share my conservative beliefs...

Yes, had many crushes back in high school and university but unfortunately, they don't like me so I move on with my life... Right now, I am just focusing on job searching and live a quiet life. Don't care much about relationship as I see many of my relatives and friends got burned so badly... Life is much easier as single and I like easy and simple life...

Trien Chieu, as the host of this interview series, I thank you for your interview.

As a member of this forum, I thank you for your contributions to Spcnet.

Best of luck on your job hunt. I semi-switched career myself recently and I know how it is to be at the crossroad.

Very cool, yet also contradictory. You can't be both Wen Tian Xiang and Cao Cao at the same time. But we all know that Ren Wo Xing is modeled after Cao Cao.
    Quote Originally Posted by RWX

I applaud Mr. Wen's conduct, although I would not like to share in his fate which it resulted in. I applaud the success born from Cao Cao's ruthlessness and pragmatism, even as I wince at what was done to achieve that success.
    Last edited by Ren Wo Xing; 09-08-08 at 09:13 PM.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!