Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The SPAM Reporting Thread

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/search.php?searchid=1864

All posts are either spammy or almost copied from previous posts.

Can we ban ssayashaa and shanny02 please? They contribute nothing to the threads that they spam in. It's getting rather excessive now.

Just make all moderators super moderators so they can ban spammers and delete all their posts and theads in one go.

It should all be taken cared of by now.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I'm an admin at another site, where redundancy is aimed for in order to deal with the high traffic (typically around 5000 normal users who have been active over the past 30 days), which attracts its quota of spammers. While you won't need a dozen admins as we have, that principle of redundancy should be useful.

I'd suggest spcnet and Suet Seung should both be admins, with access to admincp. As long as you're wary about doing anything which can't be reversed, admin access shouldn't be too dangerous, and Suet Seung is rather more active than spcnet. Make all the moderators super moderators with moderator rights in all forums. This simplifies the task of killing spammers. Have a policy of no hard deletions, or simply remove the ability to hard delete. Have a staff forum where you can discuss policy and activity in private.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    SS could be getting promoted again? Congrats,

Quote Originally Posted by pannonian View Post
    I'm an admin at another site, where redundancy is aimed for in order to deal with the high traffic (typically around 5000 normal users who have been active over the past 30 days), which attracts its quota of spammers. While you won't need a dozen admins as we have, that principle of redundancy should be useful.

I'd suggest spcnet and Suet Seung should both be admins, with access to admincp. As long as you're wary about doing anything which can't be reversed, admin access shouldn't be too dangerous, and Suet Seung is rather more active than spcnet. Make all the moderators super moderators with moderator rights in all forums. This simplifies the task of killing spammers. Have a policy of no hard deletions, or simply remove the ability to hard delete. Have a staff forum where you can discuss policy and activity in private.
    I would recommend Pannonian to become a moddy of SPCNET since he/she is highly experienced in this job, and he/she makes constructive suggestions to improve the features in this forum.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    I would recommend Pannonian to become a moddy of SPCNET since he/she is highly experienced in this job, and he/she makes constructive suggestions to improve the features in this forum.
    I'd rather not. I can't even commit as much as I'd like to the other forum, let alone another one.

Look at post #266. This spammer actually post a spam post in the spam reporting thread and no one ban him/her/it yet.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

This account has been spamming the forum in record speed. Please deleted it. When I saw it earlier, it has only posted 7 spam, now it's already 14.

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/member.php?67505-xiaoqindg

This also

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/member.php?67496-nimani

Another strategy is to make all new members a junior or new member usergroup, and restrict that usergroup to an entrance hall type forum. Once they've posted in that forum and satisfied you that they're not spammers, they're upgraded to a full member usergroup, and get access to the rest of the forums. This limits spammers to a single forum which can be easily cleaned up. It requires at least daily admincp access though, so there needs to be at least one admin who logs on at least once a day to check out and promote any new members.

Pannonian's suggestion is a good one.

Suet Seung does good work, but she's overwhelmed. There are more SPAMmers than ever, and no one moderator can be on duty 24-7-365.

I support the idea of deputizing *all* active moderators as Super Moderators, and possibly recruiting new moderators to supplement inactive veteran mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post

Suet Seung does good work, but she's overwhelmed. There are more SPAMmers than ever, and no one moderator can be on duty 24-7-365.

I support the idea of deputizing *all* active moderators as Super Moderators, and possibly recruiting new moderators to supplement inactive veteran mods.
    Over here, there are 11 admins of varying specialities and levels of activity, 24 other moderators who are all active or else, and various other staff. The aim is to keep the site running even with a fair bit of staff absence, and to have any lack of manpower planned for and rectified. There is no danger of conflicting admins, even with that number, as there is an understanding and demarcation of responsibilities, and only those who have the techie know-how delve into the more arcane areas of admin work, and those who do have the techie know-how are also familiar with the best practices of IT work, as well as thoroughly trusted within the hierarchy (otherwise they wouldn't have been promoted to that level in the first place).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post

I also support this plan,since many of us that have posted within this thread reported SPAMmers here, perhaps thoseo f us doing the repotring could do even more then just reporting, the current mods being supper mods, and then us, the reporters of the SPAMmers becoming their deputies and underlings so to speak?

All in all, good plan!

I also have a small suggestion, there is a setup on another forum that my sister is part of (she was offered admin posting, but she declined due to too much going on offline). Bassdically the site has what is called Probie Status, which when a new user joins the site, they are marked as a probie, which gives them only access to post in threads, and a moderator has to clear them. When over a time period has passed and the new user has proved themsevles to not be a SPAMmer (or worse it has happened on some forums!) they are taken off probie status and allowed to set up their profile, etc.

All in all, great work to you mods! you huys are great!
    Local Li Bingbing/Shui Ling addict
    Out of my mind, back in several years or until the Wife says I can, whichever comes first
    Itsh A Sthpork Sthupid!! ~ Daffy Duck, as quoted by my sister

Quote Originally Posted by Lianazhu View Post
    I also support this plan,since many of us that have posted within this thread reported SPAMmers here, perhaps thoseo f us doing the repotring could do even more then just reporting, the current mods being supper mods, and then us, the reporters of the SPAMmers becoming their deputies and underlings so to speak?

All in all, good plan!

I also have a small suggestion, there is a setup on another forum that my sister is part of (she was offered admin posting, but she declined due to too much going on offline). Bassdically the site has what is called Probie Status, which when a new user joins the site, they are marked as a probie, which gives them only access to post in threads, and a moderator has to clear them. When over a time period has passed and the new user has proved themsevles to not be a SPAMmer (or worse it has happened on some forums!) they are taken off probie status and allowed to set up their profile, etc.

All in all, great work to you mods! you huys are great!
    Yeah unfortunately we dont go through every single posts. Everyone can help by reporting spam/flaming etc. I always check my notifications.
    -Hkopinions

"Happy posting."

Quote Originally Posted by hkopinions View Post
    Yeah unfortunately we dont go through every single posts. Everyone can help by reporting spam/flaming etc. I always check my notifications.
    In admincp, under vBulletin options, there's an entry called User Infractions & Post Reporting Options. In that, there's a setting for Post Reporting Discussion Forum. Create a reports forum which only staff can see, point the Post Reporting Discussion Forum to that, make all moderators super moderators with moderation rights over the whole of the forum and not just their own, and all any moderator needs to do is log in, check the reports forum for the latest spammers, and ban the spammers and delete all their posts. In the forum I linked to above, spammers are usually erased from sight within 30 minutes of their first post.

To make this even more organised, set prefixes for the reports forum, so moderators can mark threads with Action Taken or No Action Taken prefixes (via edit thread). Thread prefixes can be created via Thread Prefixes > Thread Prefix Manager, and assigned to a forum via Forums & Moderators > Forum Manager > Use Selected Prefix Sets.

When you ban spammers, can you delete or make invisible their posts? A bit disconcerting to still see some around.
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by junny View Post
    When you ban spammers, can you delete or make invisible their posts? A bit disconcerting to still see some around.
    Yes, but only a Super Moderator or SC herself can do that. Regular moderators can delete only the SPAM posts on their specific forums.

Check the signature

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/member.php?67595-rosylook01

Quite a clever spammer since all the posts are on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Check the signature

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/member.php?67595-rosylook01

Quite a clever spammer since all the posts are on topic.
    Check. Done.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.