Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The ravages of time (火鳳燎原)

Default The ravages of time (火鳳燎原)

Hello, is there any fan of 火鳳燎原 aka The ravages of time aka Huo feng liao yuan here?

Here are the summaries of the first several chapters:
    (source: http://remnantwarriors.com)

Chapter 1:
    A young man, Sima Yi, has a strange recurring dream in which a monstrous warrior kills a court official named Sima, who claims that the imperial throne will now belong to his family. Strangely, the man seems to welcome death at the hands of the Handicapped Warrior, claiming that their agreement is now fulfilled. When Sima Yi wakes up, he orders the death of Xu Lin, Dong Zhuo’s right hand man, so that the Sima clan does not have to pay him taxes. Dong Zhuo now controls the child emperor, and Sima Yi foresees that a coalition of regional lords will now oppose him. Sima Yi sends Xiao Meng, one of the Sima family’s servants, out with the assassination orders.

Sima Yi:
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2853/ravvol01ch001p042ja0.jpg')
    Last edited by wuyuejin; 08-25-08 at 12:58 AM.

Chapter 2 & 3:
    In Luoyang, Dong Zhuo has just removed Emperor Liu Bian from the throne, with the help of Lu Bu. Dong Zhuo rose to power after he was called to the capital with his Xiliang army to help remove the eunuchs at the court from power. But he soon set up his own puppet emperor, Liu Xie. The Guandong Coalition, led by Yuan Shao, is opposing him, so Dong Zhuo has sent Xu Lin to the state of Yan to demand money from the wealthy. After the Sima house refused to pay, the Handicapped Warriors, the one-armed Guo Ang and the one-legged Zhang Lei, attack Xu Lin’s boat. A young warrior named Zhao Huo fends them off, but not before Xu Lin is killed.

Chapter 4:
    However, it is soon revealed that the person who died was merely a double. The real Xu Lin wants to adopt Zhao Huo, who lost his father in the attack. On a cliff, the figure of the one-eyed leader of the Handicapped Warriors appears to point at the ship. Zhao Huo reveals he knew the leader; he came to their house one year ago, and his father unknowingly adopted him as his son… In other words, he is really the leader of the HW, Liaoyuan Huo. Liaoyuan Huo then kills Xu Lin and sends his head to Dong Zhuo. Lu Bu swears revenge upon Xu Lin’s killers.

Zhao Huo (aka Liaoyuan Huo aka Zhao Yun aka Zhao Zilong), a highly skilled assassin, working for the Sima family:
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9424/ravvol01ch004p130an9.jpg')
    Last edited by wuyuejin; 08-25-08 at 01:12 AM.

Chapter 5:
    The land is in chaos due to the fight between Dong Zhuo and the Guandong Coalition. Liu Bei and his sworn brothers, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei appear. Liu Bei, pretending to be a follower of Dong Zhuo, demands tribute from the people of Jinyang. He has his men gather loot, but when the Guandong army approaches, must leave with only some of it. Although the Guandong army planned to raid the city, when the citizens, who are now angry at Dong Zhuo, welcome them, they spare it. Later, Liu Bei distributes the goods he got at Jinyang to people in a city raided by another army.

Chapter 6:
    190 AD. The city of Henei, where the Sima clan lives, is now occupied by the Guandong army. Sima Yi’s plan paid off and the Sima clan was spared, but Sima Yi’s elder brother, Sima Lang, an Imperial Bookkeeper, is being held hostage in the capital. He foresees that Dong Zhuo will burn Luoyang, and sends the HW to the city to rescue his elder brother. Also, he instructs Xiao Meng to dress as a woman in order to infiltrate the palace. He will claim to be Wang Yun’s adopted daughter, Diaochan.

Diao Chan (one of the four great beauties of ancient China) and Dongzhuo, [in Huofeng Liaoyuan, Diaochan (aka Xiao Meng) is an eunuch and an assassin working for the Sima family]:
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/7726/ravvol02ch013p158iq9.jpg')
    Last edited by wuyuejin; 08-25-08 at 01:32 AM.

Looks too weird already. Diaochan = eununch????
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Yep, while the author Chen Mou has not altered the main events of ROTK like the deaths of Sun Jian, Dian Wei, and Dong Zhuo,... he has created many plot twists. These ones kinda shook me the first time I read HFLY (Huo feng liao yuan) but since I reached volume 3 I've found them very interesting. Chen Mou is not simply visualizing ROTK, he's creating a more complex ROTK of his own.
    I wonder what ROTK fans would think after they read the part in HFLY where Zhao Yun (aka Liaoyuan Huo, one of the main characters) literally and emotionally kissed Diao Chan, an extremely beautiful eunuch .
    One of the plot twist I like in HFLY is that Lu Bu and Zhang Fei are both described to be strategically and tactically able, not just 2 hotheaded madcaps as described by Luo Guanzhong.
    Another one is that Zhuge Liang, Pang Tong, Zhou Yu, Jia Xu, Guo Jia, Xun Yu,... i.e the 8 most brilliant masterminds of the era are all apprentice brothers under the schooling of Shuijing xiansheng Sima Hui.

Lu Bu vs Wen Chou (a powerful general in Yuan Shao's army)
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/5332/ravv04c031p172ti5.jpg')

Zhang Fei, Guan Yu, and Liu Bei (in HFLY, Zhang Fei is not bearded but he is a genius painter who likes to paint his own face)
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/4050/ravv04c032p195eb6.jpg')
    Last edited by wuyuejin; 08-25-08 at 04:33 AM.

I wonder what ROTK fans would think after they read the part in HFLY where Zhao Yun (aka Liaoyuan Huo, one of the main characters) literally and emotionally kissed Diao Chan, an extremely beautiful eunuch .
    What what what?!

Now I'm interested! Could you please post that picture?? Please??

Here it is:
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/7159/theravagesoftime18066pc5.png')
    And in the very previous page of the page above, Zhao Yun called Diao Chan 'p ning' 婆娘 despite knowing well that Diao Chan is an eunuch. I'm absolutely not gay but I'm kinda moved reading this part.

Sun Shu (blond hair) (aka Lady Sun aka Sun Shangxiang aka Liu Bei's 3rd wife in ROTK) and Diao Chan (black hair):
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5624/theravagesoftime18058bd0.png')
    Sun Shu wanna marry Zhao Yun but the dude seems to love Diao Chan.

Hehe! Thanks! Nice drawings, though the story may be too wacky for my liking. I kind of like sticking to the traditional.

those who are interested in the ravages of time and/or the rotk but cant read chinese can now read this awesome ongoing manhua series in english on

http://www.onemanga.com/The_Ravages_of_Time/

more than 290 chapters have been available, and more are to come. some major incidents up until this moment are: lubu and diao chan both were killed by cao cao, sun ce (sun quan's brother) is rising to power, he is served by zhou yu, the fifth in the 8 strategists, liu bei is still struggling to build up his force but he won zhao yun's loyalty, pang tong (one of the 8 great strategists) managed to outwit sima yi and inflicted heavy damages to the sima clan, yuan fang (yuan shao's son, the eldest of the 8 strategists) is trying to unite and take control of the powerful but split yuan clan of his, cao cao's great charisma earned him the services of xun yu, guo jia, and jia xu, 3 of the 8 strategists. sima yi is also serving cao cao but his true intention is taking advantage of cao to ultimately make the sima clan the ruling clan of china.

Isn't this very scary and too time-consuming? Over 30 books and Sun Ce isn't even dead yet? @.@;

I hate that they killed off Lu Bu, but at least his final moments were epic

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Isn't this very scary and too time-consuming? Over 30 books and Sun Ce isn't even dead yet? @.@;
    well, considering in luo guanzhong's book sun ce died when things are about 1/4 of the way to the end, 30 volumes and he still being alive is not something overlong. furthermore chen mou has been describing the power struggle of the era from all sides' viewpoints instead of just Han royalists' and Shu's, and he has also focused on analyzing the tactical, strategic, psychological facets of the major battles and characters instead of having duels that run for at least 3 volumes a` la akira toriyama's sungoku vs vegeta so even though the series is kinda long page-wise compared to many other manga/manhua series, it nevertheless has a fast pace and is not boring at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Khan
    i on the other hand, despite not really hating lu bu, is happy that hes dead, im just sick of the way he was depicted as a godlike warrior. single-handedly beating the combination of dian wei + xu zhu + xu huang + some other Wei's generals??? wtf, this is as annoying as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by The Khan View Post

Me too!!! It was so sad to see him died like a criminal as opposed to the mighty warrior death on the battlefield. Guan Yu should've finished him off instead of letting him go. It would've been a fitting end to the God of war! They really made Lu Bu very likable and I was totally rooting for him. He almost had CaoCao letting him go but Lu Bei saw through the act and ended it. Very sad moment indeed.

It was also very sad when Xiao Meng died. I love how Zhao Yun spent days and nights digging for his remains and actually fought back an entire army so they won't trample on it. I can't wait to read more about his rise to power. Just totally love his character.

the ravages of time is based, albeit loosely, on the rotk and the records of the three kingdoms so lubu had to die. the only thing that sucks is that Zhang fei and Guan yu would no longer have any chance to take on him in fair and square 1 on 1 fights to show who is the real duel boss.
    now im really eager to know how Chen mou will describe the upcoming death of the little Conqueror Sun ce. In the ROTK Sun ce was indirectly killed by the ghost of Yu ji, a magician who he executed, but this will not be the case in the ravages of time. Being a reckless and ruthless warrior, maybe Sun ce will be assassinated with poison or such.
    Also i just cant wait to read about the next big battle that is the battle of Guandu where Cao cao's army will destroy the Yuan clan's army to reunify northern China. Having Guo jia and Yuan fang, 2 genius strategists from the same school, put against each other, Zhang liao and Zhang he, 2 of the most prominent generals of the era, fighting agaisnt each other, things hardly get better than this. Since childhood ive always regarded Guo jia as the third best strategist of the era, just behind Zhuge liang and Pang tong, but slightly > Sima yi, Zhou yu and Lu xun. It sucks he died at a very young age due to illness.

Am starting to read this manga, but only bits and parts and not exactly keeping to the chapters flow. The part on the war of Xiapi was epic and so touching! It was terribly sad when Lu Bu lost his daughter and his reactions just tugged at my heartstrings. T_T
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 07-16-10 at 03:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Looks too weird already. Diaochan = eununch????
    well that totally ruined my image of her as the sizzling hot *****
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

I'm gradually getting sick of the author's @ss-kissing attitude towards Sima Yi, esp. in the lastest 2 chapters. What the feck, he's a brilliant advisor and arguably the eventual winner, but there's no need to have every single major military achievement of the era pinned up his butt! Sima Yi had no fecking role in the battle of Guandu, let alone coming up w/ the tactic of using catapults!

Quote Originally Posted by forgot password View Post
    I'm gradually getting sick of the author's @ss-kissing attitude towards Sima Yi, esp. in the lastest 2 chapters. What the feck, he's a brilliant advisor and arguably the eventual winner, but there's no need to have every single major military achievement of the era pinned up his butt! Sima Yi had no fecking role in the battle of Guandu, let alone coming up w/ the tactic of using catapults!
    the book is obviously biased towards Sima yi since well cos thats how its written...and you have to give credit to teh man cos he outlast a lot of his peers and gains power after 3 generation of Cao has sat upon the throne...and but i like the authors creativity in this...the screenplay is excellent....favourite scene Liu Bei convincing Zhang Liao to surrender..epic
    "The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience."
    -Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam to Paul Atreides