Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fu Hongxue's sabre faster then speed of light?

Default Fu Hongxue's sabre faster then speed of light?

Note : This post to be taken in the context of 'Turning the Universe Upside Down' and 'Sword 15 stopping time'.

So, in the opening sequence of Tianya Mingyue Dao, Fu Hongxue's sabre was described as 'Unbeatable under Heaven because it has exceeded the limits of speed'.

So whats the general limit of speed for matter? Lightspeed!

In at least one of his fights, observers noted that his sabre did not seem to move very fast. But the blade still seems to hit every damn thing it wants before anyone realises they aren't appearing in the next paragraph/chapter anymore. Hmm, so Sabre moves fast but observers view it as slow. I propose Time Dilation! Objects moving faster then light would have observers see it as moving slower!

eidt: Damn, just noticed typo in thread title.
    Last edited by CC; 08-27-08 at 11:08 PM.

In ancient China, the limit of speed was likely supposed to be the top speed of a four-horse wagon. This is reflected in the old saying 'Once a word has been said, even a four-horse wagon cannot catch it up'. Furthermore, when Fu Hongxue executed his saber arts, his movements could still be observed. Thus, I guess his speed was around 100 kmph.
    日暮乡关何处是?烟波江上使人愁。

Faster than the speed of light maybe. Faster than the heart of righteousness, never!
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I propose Time Dilation! Objects moving faster then light would have observers see it as moving slower!
    Time Dilation is when objects moving UNDER but a significant proportion of the speed of light being observed slower.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wuyuejin View Post
    In ancient China, the limit of speed was likely supposed to be the top speed of a four-horse wagon. This is reflected in the old saying 'Once a word has been said, even a four-horse wagon cannot catch it up'. Furthermore, when Fu Hongxue executed his saber arts, his movements could still be observed. Thus, I guess his speed was around 100 kmph.
    100 kmph is not that superhumanly fast for swinging a sabre.....

well according to tian ya ming yue dao as well, ye kai mentioned that if fu hong xue challenge ah fei, fu hong xue will definately be killed. Ah fei then mentioned that his speed of sword is not the fastest, the fastest is jing wu ming. and li xun huan dagger is unable to be valued/described with the word "speed".

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindevil View Post
    well according to tian ya ming yue dao as well, ye kai mentioned that if fu hong xue challenge ah fei, fu hong xue will definately be killed. Ah fei then mentioned that his speed of sword is not the fastest, the fastest is jing wu ming. and li xun huan dagger is unable to be valued/described with the word "speed".
    Ye Kai said that in Bian Cheng LangZi, not TianYa MingYue Dao. He was also making a comparison between a young Fu Hong Xue and a middle-aged A Fei. TianYa MingYue Dao takes place almost 20 years later, and Fu Hong Xue is also more powerful than he used to be.

But Fu Hong Xue should still be weaker than a middle aged Ah Fei correct?
    Yo momma cat

Quote Originally Posted by minutemanwayne View Post
    But Fu Hong Xue should still be weaker than a middle aged Ah Fei correct?

Young FHX < Middle Age Ah Fei

Young FHX vs Young Ah Fei and Middle Age FHX vs Middle Age Ah Fei are unknowns. Should be about equal.

well ya i did make a mistake.... can remember those novel names as the last time i read them was more than 10 years ago.

anyway i just read the line again, and realised that ye kai mentioned, " even before you finished drwing you knife, his sword already pierced your throat" the sword he refering to is a 3 feet wooden stick of ah fei.

he further mentioned that "there is only one sword that is faster, that is li xun huan's dagger.' ah fei denied later and mentioned that the only faster sword is by jing wu ming, not li xun huan, as li xun huan speed is beyond description.

In the Gu Long universe, I think the meaning behind that statement is that his sabre has reached the level where speed is no longer even a factor. Battles are fought psychologically and the victor is usually decided long before either fighter even draws their blade. Take for example his last two duels against Yan Nanfei and Gongzi Yu.

I am almost inclined to say that this is what Gu Long intended for his ultimate level of swordsmanship to be, along the same lines as Li Xunhuan's righteousness ... Gu Long's interpretation of "overcoming the sword without a sword".
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Young FHX < Middle Age Ah Fei

Young FHX vs Young Ah Fei and Middle Age FHX vs Middle Age Ah Fei are unknowns. Should be about equal.
    A Fei remarked that the group of young heroes (Ye Kai, Fu HongXue, Lu XiaoJia) were not inferior to he and his peers when they were younger.

As for Middle Aged FHX and A Fei, there is no conclusive proof... but I am personally more awed by A Fei. He has reached a legendary status thats beyond the normal Realm (or what I like to call GL's "outer isle" personages, as he seems to show a pattern in his writings for retiring fighters of a certain level to somewhere beyond the seas ). For those who haven't read both novels yet, you can judge for yourself when Bliss completes them (or check them out if you can read them, of course. they are both great stories).

Quote Originally Posted by TigerWong View Post
    As for Middle Aged FHX and A Fei, there is no conclusive proof... but I am personally more awed by A Fei. He has reached a legendary status thats beyond the normal Realm (or what I like to call GL's "outer isle" personages, as he seems to show a pattern in his writings for retiring fighters of a certain level to somewhere beyond the seas ). For those who haven't read both novels yet, you can judge for yourself when Bliss completes them (or check them out if you can read them, of course. they are both great stories).
    That is because middle age Ah Fei was not a main character in a novel. FHX after Mingyue Dao would have gone off radar too. Do you think Little Li was at the level of an 'Outer Isle' during the time when he fought Shangguan or he continued improving later?

That is because middle age Ah Fei was not a main character in a novel. FHX after Mingyue Dao would have gone off radar too. Do you think Little Li was at the level of an 'Outer Isle' during the time when he fought Shangguan or he continued improving later?
    It was likely after the death of Chief Shangguan that LHX achieves the "Outer Isles" as he was then the undisputed #1 in the realm and then retired as well.

The outer isle status tends to refers to fighers who are undisputed #1 who retired.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

A Fei remarked that the group of young heroes (Ye Kai, Fu HongXue, Lu XiaoJia) were not inferior to he and his peers when they were younger.

Always nice to see you dropping by once in awhile Tiger.

A small revelation came to me recently when reading over some parts in Tianya Mingyue Dao. I figured I'd get my fellow Gu Long fanatic's opinion on it as well.

We've discussed that one passage before where Gu Long mentions how the last 4 decades (or generations is probably a better term) were dominated by Shen Lang, Li Xunhuan, Ye Kai, and Gongzi Yu. The first three pretty much went on to achieve legendary status without a question.

I remember we found the timing of the decades/generations to be too tight. Then, during the last chapter of TYMYD, I forgot there was a little detail which revelead that the old white haired Gongzi Yu was actually the same age as Fu Hongxue ... Afterwards, they sized each other up and Fu Hongxue had complete certainty and confidence that Gongzi Yu was not his match.

A lot of Gu Long's later works were all about confidence and psychological certainty when it came to battles. Even characters who spewed a LOT of high level martial arts philosophies, such as Old Man Sun who claimed that Li and Shangguan were still at least 2 levels beneath the highest level of martial arts, was no match for Shangguan when it came down to it. It was pretty evident that he was going to lose that fight even before it happened, he knew he was going to die.

And so, my opinion of Fu Hongxue has increased greatly. Gongzi Yu was said to have dominated his generation the same way Shen Lang, Li Xunhuan and Ye Kai had. And Fu Hongxue was able to completely shatter his confidence without him even questioning it.
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Read Jiu Yue Ying Fei awhile back and seem to be unimpressed with Ye Kai's martial arts in this novel. He was awesome in Bian Cheng Lang Zi. The way he used his intelligence to decipher the mysteries in the novel and the way he quickly disposes of his enemies. In JYYF he seems to make alot of mistakes and didn't have the aura he possessed in BCLZ. FHX seemed to have improved immensely in Horizon, Bright Moon, Sabre both physically and mentally.

BTW Anyone care to translate the excerpt between Ah Fei and FHX?
    Yo momma cat

Quote Originally Posted by minutemanwayne View Post
    Read Jiu Yue Ying Fei awhile back and seem to be unimpressed with Ye Kai's martial arts in this novel. He was awesome in Bian Cheng Lang Zi. The way he used his intelligence to decipher the mysteries in the novel and the way he quickly disposes of his enemies. In JYYF he seems to make alot of mistakes and didn't have the aura he possessed in BCLZ. FHX seemed to have improved immensely in Horizon, Bright Moon, Sabre both physically and mentally.

BTW Anyone care to translate the excerpt between Ah Fei and FHX?
    Ditto ... it was weird because both JYYF and TYMYD were written before their chronological prequel BCLZ. But then again, it could be argued that in BCLZ, there really was a lack of an adept villain, both in terms of martial arts and intelligence. Ye Kai knew what was up from day one already ...

I'm 3 chapters away ... maybe I'll just do the exchange between them and incorporate it into the translation later on.
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    It wasn't my intention to claim that every person who has retired to a faraway island is automatically better than those who are still part of the martial society. It was a half joking reference to a common theme in GL's novels, especially his earlier ones, where readers think they've seen the cream of the crop, but then they get introduced to characters from the Outer Isles with mysterious, mythical reputations and who are much more powerful. You continue to see this theme repeated even in his later novels, such as "LXF - Phoenix Dancing in the Ninth Heaven". Legendary figures such as Shen Lang, Little Li, Lone Swallow of the Skies and Seas, and A Fei all traveled beyond the waves.

But it is not just this fact that impresses me about middle-aged A Fei, it was everything about him in that book. And yes, I think Little Li must have improved if he were to remain ahead of the pack. And middle-aged A Fei and JWM both believed he did.

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I remember we found the timing of the decades/generations to be too tight. Then, during the last chapter of TYMYD, I forgot there was a little detail which revelead that the old white haired Gongzi Yu was actually the same age as Fu Hongxue ... Afterwards, they sized each other up and Fu Hongxue had complete certainty and confidence that Gongzi Yu was not his match.
    I still see the timing of the decades as way too compressed if you were to take that passage literally. I prefer to view it as generations. GongZi Yu and Fu HongXue were around 37, I believe...

I don't doubt that FHX was the top fighter in that story. And yes, many times the person who wins isn't necessarily the best in terms of raw power or reputation. I agree w. everything you said about the psychological/confidence factor. But for me, A Fei seems to convey a more awe-inspiring gap of power between himself and other top fighters in BCLZ (and they were no slouches), then FHX did in TYMYD. If one accepts that young FHX/YK ~= young A Fei..... well, even Little Li didn't make me feel that he could embarrass a young A Fei/JWM in the same manner.

Granted, FHX pretty much won all his battles easily... but he didn't seem to be THAT invincible (albeit he was the best), it seemed that he was still grounded.... that he still may be mortal, whereas A Fei was almost magical. Just impressions for the most part (although impressions can be very important in judging GL's characters).....

I can't really say there was definite proof, so you won't find me arguing too hard against FHX. His sabre is faster than the speed of thought, after all.
    Last edited by TigerWong; 09-10-08 at 01:13 AM.

I still see the timing of the decades as way too compressed if you were to take that passage literally. I prefer to view it as generations. GongZi Yu and Fu HongXue were around 37, I believe...

I don't doubt that FHX was the top fighter in that story. And yes, many times the person who wins isn't necessarily the best in terms of raw power or reputation. I agree w. everything you said about the psychological/confidence factor. But for me, A Fei seems to convey a more awe-inspiring gap of power between himself and other top fighters in BCLZ (and they were no slouches), then FHX did in TYMYD. If one accepts that young FHX/YK ~= young A Fei..... well, even Little Li didn't make me feel that he could embarrass a young A Fei/JWM in the same manner.

Granted, FHX pretty much won all his battles easily... but he didn't seem to be THAT invincible (albeit he was the best), it seemed that he was still grounded.... that he still may be mortal, whereas A Fei was almost magical. Just impressions for the most part (although impressions can be very important in judging GL's characters).....

I can't really say there was definite proof, so you won't find me arguing too hard against FHX. His sabre is faster than the speed of thought, after all.
    I always figured that the Gu Long world moved at a much faster pace The entirety of wulin fell under the control of the Golden Currency Union during the couple years time gap between the Shaolin story arc and the Golden Currency Union arc in DQJKWQJ itself. Then, all the power shifted to the Divine Sabre Hall within a couple of years again. Since people die so frequently and often in Gu Long, I imagine that the turnover and attrition rate is really high, so decade long generations might be feasible

I do agree with your point that Ah Fei completely outclassed everyone else in BCLZ, similar to our previous assessment of Xiaoyao Hou and Xiao Shiyi Lang. Li did say that Ah Fei would only need a couple years to fix his flaws, then he would be completely invincible. I guess I'm basing my judgement mostly on the assumption that Gongzi Yu was on the same level as Shen Lang, Li Xunhuan, and Ye Kai, as Gu Long leads us to believe.
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Imagine if Shen, Li, and Ye were like Guo Jing, Yang Guo and Zhang Wuji. Maybe Gongzi is like Hu Fei (Sudden Deterioation Theory)?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」