View Poll Results: Which top martial arts level in the Jin Yong universe are you most comfortable with?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • The super, uber, omgwtf level of DGSD and SPW

22 45.83%
  • The powerful, but not ridiculously powerful level of the CONDOR HEROES TRILOGY

22 45.83%
  • The relatively weak, but more realistic level of the Qing Dynasty stories

4 8.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which top martial arts level in the Jin Yong universe are you most comfortable with?

Default Which top martial arts level in the Jin Yong universe are you most comfortable with?

Stand up and be counted.

I like the martial arts in LOCH the most really. It feels more like martial arts and less "DBZ power syndrome".

DGSD has a variety of really "cheap" martial arts like BMSG and 6MSG. It also features some really explosive martial arts as well Mr. Hax Sweeper Monk.

XAJH has something similar in a more subtle vein with all the random people with ridiculously profound internal energy abilities as well as the same "cheap" martial arts. In fact, DG9J isn't even some of the bigger problems I have with the story because at least it's upfront about the intelligence and state of mind required to execute it.

Chrono, what's the other stuff you have in mind? The only thing I could think of was perhaps the sword-energy circles which a scrub named Mr. Paint was able to make...
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Things like Polar Ice energy, or the Beggar Clan leader writing on wood with his fingers, or even XWT having the internal energy to stamp out his footprints, or a random scrub having a deadly long range palm attack. They're all little niggling details that compose some of the more "fridgey logic" in XAJH (if we assume DT).

The internal energy oneupmanship is pretty funny too. 6 Peach Fairies crushed LHC's internal, were held down in turn by monk No Commandment (this point is ALREADY far above what YBQ can do and he wasn't that weak either), then were all held down in again by Fang Sheng. This was then all scattered and made usable by LHC using XXDF but he still felt some shock from CX's sword who was in turn weaker than Fang Zhang. FZ is slightly better than RWX but then DFBB dominated XWT, RWX and LHC at the same time and demonstrated his even more superior internal energy. There's an awful lot of internal energy comparisons in XAJH.
    Last edited by ChronoReverse; 09-03-08 at 05:21 PM.

Default Jin Yong Kung Fu

Sometimes I don't really like books with UNBELIEVABLE martial arts levels but sometimes it's cool. Doesn't make a huge difference to me. I care more about the plot. But that's just me.
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

Somehow the level in SPW doesn't really seem that OMG! to me. Maybe I'm jaded.

But I do think I like the level in the Condor Trilogy best.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

I'm comfortable with the trilogy. It's sort of more believable and characters are well developed IMHO.

Meh, I still don't (and never will) agree with putting SPW on some sort of freak pedestal. ZWJ's internal demonstrations (and even ZCS and other mid-tier fighters) always impressed me a lot more. Putting SPW with DGSD is rather ridiculous; maybe you meant to use XKX (why it's left out is beyond me) instead.

As far as martial arts quality, it's a tossup between LOCH and DOMD-level for me. Anything at the DGSD level is closer to WOT fantasy which differs from LOTR fantasy in the 1v1000 aspect. LOCH is LOTR fantasy or middle fantasy; the mains are still quite powerful, but not like WOT or similar books where they crush armies. DOMD is like Song of Ice and Fire level, where the mains are pretty unbeatable 1v1, but once gangbanged they can't really survive (or, for those unfamiliar with Song, stuff like Once and Future King). And, the two highest rated Fantasy genres are the Once and Future King level or the LOTR level. The WOT stuff is for the masses; it's like DBZ, powerful, but silly and inconsistent.

DGSD's level of course. I wanna see laser-like energy shots which can crash metal weapons into pieces or penetrate boulders a la Duan Yu vs Murong Fu and palm clashes whose energy released can blow up big houses.
    日暮乡关何处是?烟波江上使人愁。

Personally, I like the way things are in Jin Yong universe. IMO blasting people from 30+ feet away (LDA) is a gimmick to show someone's high martial arts in a quick & dirty form. Condor Trilogy featured more in-depth, attentive illustrations of martial arts philosophies, which I liked also.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

It's probably got to be the DGSD martial arts level.

The martial arts in there can be a bit too flashy and unbelievable at times, but its simply too awesome to resist.
    ..ext88

By DGSD, do you mean Sweeper Monk/Xuzhu's level?

Banned

i'm comfortable with SPW's level. but DGSD level is bordering on ridiculousness.

I dont care, i believe ren wo xing is more powerful than duan yu!

No martial artists in DGSD could repeat a ridiculous feat performed by Linghu Chong: Heavily injured and losing all internal energy yet still being able to send off 15 thrusts at the wrists of 15 bad guys in an instant forcing them to drop their weapons.
    日暮乡关何处是?烟波江上使人愁。

Quote Originally Posted by wuyuejin View Post
    No martial artists in DGSD could repeat a ridiculous feat performed by Linghu Chong: Heavily injured and losing all internal energy yet still being able to send off 15 thrusts at the wrists of 15 bad guys in an instant forcing them to drop their weapons.
    There are a few feats from DGSD that come close to Chong'ge's Amazing Feats:

1. Xiao Feng performing a Single Stance Execution on a Xuan generation monk (he didn't execute him, but demonstrated the ability to) while heavily injured comes close.

2. Su Xinghe being able to take on the combined forces of Ding Chunqiu AND Jiumozhi for one stance!

3. SWORD GOD Zhuo Bufan being able to toss an object across mountain ranges of 3 - 5 ancient Chinese miles!

4. Murong Bo being able to launch a LDA from 80 feet away!
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by wuyuejin View Post
    Don't you mean 15 thrusts, 30 eyes blinded?
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

That "feat" is a poor example since we don't know the levels of the masked ninja-types. It was also (sorta) a sneak attack.

Qiu Chuji fought the 7 freaks, who's martial arts were almost certainly higher than the masked men, for a prolonged period of time (and basically won).

QF fought hundreds if not thousands of Liao soldiers as well as the combined might of Wulin.

Without any other info about the 15 men, and considering the relative ease in which LHC performed his attack, it makes you wonder how low the median level is in XAJH. More specifically, the stance LHC learned was a relatively "beginner" level stance, it wasn't "brilliantly" used, and it has 0 (negative!) internal energy requirement. He didn't "breaK" a stance; he was just too fast compared to the 15 opponents. Where did this "speed" come from? God I hate XAJH

What. It's a sneak attack to attack 15 people, who decided to attack you simultaneously out of respect for your skill? Isn't this the same as saying that if I counter your attack successfully, it's a sneak attack? The same fifteen men who took down the entire Huashan school in a straight up fight (except for YBQ)?

That's just like those mediocre martial artists who complain when attacked with moves that aren't "orthodox". It's really just a matter of "hey, you can't go and use something that would actually beat me".
    Last edited by ChronoReverse; 09-04-08 at 06:32 PM.

They took out YBQ as well, after taking out the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntingX View Post
    Without any other info about the 15 men, and considering the relative ease in which LHC performed his attack, it makes you wonder how low the median level is in XAJH. More specifically, the stance LHC learned was a relatively "beginner" level stance, it wasn't "brilliantly" used, and it has 0 (negative!) internal energy requirement. He didn't "breaK" a stance; he was just too fast compared to the 15 opponents. Where did this "speed" come from? God I hate XAJH
    Huh? Beginner stance? He used the 'Projectile Breaking Stance' of DG9J, and he DID use his internal energy (which is why he immediately collapsed afterwards; the streams in his body violently clashed, causing his internal energy to worsen even more). This is hardly a beginner stance. See below.

Afraid of the brilliant performance he had shown during the fierce fight with Feng Buping, the fifteen masked men approached forward half a step at a time, on one dared to launch the first attack.

Linghu Chong turned around slowly and stared at the fifteen masked men. Their thirty eyes shined through the holes on their masks like the eyes of fierce wild animals, filled with cruelty and hostility. Suddenly, a thought sparked in his head.

“The eighth stance of the Dugu Nine Sword, ‘Missile-breaking Stance,’ can counter all types of projectiles and darts. Even if the enemy has shot thousands of arrows at me, or dozens of people shooting many kinds of projectiles and darts at me, I would be able to knock all of them down using this one stance.”

“Let’s attack all at once and cut him into shreds!” the old man in the mask shouted.

Having no time for any further thoughts, Linghu Chong sent his sword out and used the “Missile-breaking Stance” of the Dugu Nine Swords. The tip of the sword vibrated as it thrust at the eyes of the fifteen men. Cries in terror rose one after another, and then bangs echoed as the many kinds of weapons fell to the ground. Within a split of a second, Linghu Chong had blinded the thirty eyes of the fifteen masked men with extraordinarily swift thrusts.

The “Missile-breaking Stance” of the Dugu Nine Swords was capable of hitting thousands of projectiles and darts. To be able to hit the thousands of targets, of course some would be hit before some others. But because the thrusts were so fast that it seemed as if all the thrusts were shot out at the exact same time. This stance must be able to hit every target with every thrust. If one thrust had missed the target, the enemy’s dart would have hit the practitioner. Linghu Chong was not proficient with this stance, yet, but it was obviously much easier to try to hit human eyes that were slowly approaching compared to hitting projectiles and darts approaching in high speed. He thrust out thirty times and hit all thirty eyes on target.
    PS: DG9J isn't just about 'breaking' the opponents stances, but that's one of the things it can do, yes.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Definitely DGSD, XAJH and XKX level...
    Others are quite pathetic barring YG and ZWJ
    내가 황제라면, 모든 단어에 의미를 부여하기 위해 사전을 만드는 일 부터 시작할 것이다.

AkA: strife_au in the old mythic golden era of SPCNET pre-2007... Pioneer and architect of chaos... The legend lives.