Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Highly acclaimed artist you don't get

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang ( : View Post
    Basically all of the Disney Channel stars are lame.
    I know a lot of people who are better then them.
    May I repeat, highly regarded, respected and critically acclaimed band or soloist.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Out of curiousity, which NIN albums have you tried out? Reznor is definitely not acclaimed for his vocal melodies but more for his distinct industrial rock sound that he innovated early in his career (hard rock/punk infused with electronic instruments).

EDIT: Actually, have you ever heard Reznor's original "Hurt"? It's the same one that Johnny Cash did a cover of that gained quite a lot of popularity. I think Reznor's version is quite melodic and poignant.
    Last edited by bliss; 09-08-08 at 07:06 PM.
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by bliss View Post
    Out of curiousity, which NIN albums have you tried out? Reznor is definitely not acclaimed for his vocal melodies but more for his distinct industrial rock sound that he innovated early in his career (hard rock/punk infused with electronic instruments).

EDIT: Actually, have you ever heard Reznor's original "Hurt"? It's the same one that Johnny Cash did a cover of that gained quite a lot of popularity. I think Reznor's version is quite melodic and poignant.
    I never listened to a full NiN album. Like I said, I can't get past Reznor's vocal melodies, they're horrible vocals and yes I have heard "Hurt" and it is a snoozefest. Sorry, but I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    I never listened to a full NiN album. Like I said, I can't get past Reznor's vocal melodies, they're horrible vocals and yes I have heard "Hurt" and it is a snoozefest. Sorry, but I just don't get it.
    Different strokes for different folks I guess. If you don't mind me asking, what genre of music/other bands/artists are you usually into?
    明月心跳起來,又回頭,嫣然道,“你還要不要我帶上那面具?”
    傅紅雪冷道,“現在你臉上豈非已經戴上了個面具?”

Quote Originally Posted by bliss View Post
    Different strokes for different folks I guess. If you don't mind me asking, what genre of music/other bands/artists are you usually into?
    I'm a nut for New Order, I listen to them every day. My second favourite band is Joy Division, I also listen to them daily. I'd say I'm generally into alternative/indie music.

To see what I really listen to, visit this link.

My Western friends are constantly telling me about what a great songwriter Warren Zevon was, but in all honestly, the only thing he put out that I ever really liked was "Werewolves of London," which wasn't even very representative of his work (more like a one-off novelty tune).

Oh. Well they are pretty popular at least in my school. I don't really pay attention to who's popular and who's not in the music world.
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang ( : View Post
    Oh. Well they are pretty popular at least in my school. I don't really pay attention to who's popular and who's not in the music world.
    Being highly respected and critically acclaimed does not equal popularity. Disney's Channel stars are popular, but they are not well respected by the music industry.

Nirvana - I understand why they rose to stardom, but their music is not for me.

Foo Fighters - Bleh

Greenday - Hate the lead singer

REM - hate the lead singer's voice

Ludacris (won 3 Grammy awards)
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Nirvana - I understand why they rose to stardom, but their music is not for me.

Foo Fighters - Bleh

Greenday - Hate the lead singer

REM
    - hate the lead singer's voice

Ludacris (won 3 Grammy awards)
    Oh my gosh, I can't believe I forgot to mention R.E.M. I don't like the singer's voice either.

Green Day, hmmm I don't know... many people don't like them. They're not that well respected, at least not anymore. I personally do enjoy their songs.

Oh my gosh, I can't believe I forgot to mention R.E.M. I don't like the singer's voice either.
    Well, for all the things to recommend R.E.M. for, Michael Stipe's singing certainly *isn't* one of them.

They were a great band once, but Bill Berry's retirement really killed them.

What highly regarded, respected and critically acclaimed band or soloist you just don't get and don't like? It's not about who's overrated, it's who you just don't understand.

Me, I simply don't get...

Radiohead - Now this is a very talented band, their music is truly original and I know it's quality stuff, but at the end of the day, I don't enjoy their songs that much. "OK Computer" is constantly considered one of the best albums of the past 20 years, yet I only like the 3 singles, especially "No Surprises" which I think is excellent, but the rest I find rather boring.

That's it for now.
    Karma Police, not sure if it was one of the 3 singles you were talking about, but it's so good.

Does Lady GaGa count? I mean she won some awards and her music is almost on every radio stations. I just don't get her style. I don't get her trying to be different. I don't like her being so extreme with how she or her stylist presents her. And her music. I guess cause I listen to different genre that I think her music is very average.