Thread: A rough timeline of major events in the life of Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung

Default A rough timeline of major events in the life of Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung

Among Jin Yong characters, Central Divinity Wong Chung Yeung might have had the most eventful life to have been told exclusively in flashback. A great deal is revealed about Wong Chung Yeung in LOCH, ROCH, and even HSDS, but none of it is told in "real time." All Wong Chung Yeung appearances in THE CONDOR HEROES TRILOGY are necessarily flashback appearances.

Because these flashbacks weren't told in chronological fashion in LOCH, ROCH, and HSDS, it's left for us to reconstruct the flow of Central Divinity's life through the major milestones. Let's try:

1. He's born (duh).

2. Grows to adulthood. Learns martial arts in his youth. Serves as an officer in the Sung military fighting against the Jin Empire. Sometime during all this, he meets his sworn brother, Chow Bak Tung.*

3. Meets Lam Chiu Ying.

4. Encounters failure in leading military against Jin forces. Builds Tomb of the Living Dead and plans to retreat there. Shamed out of it by Lam Chiu Ying.

5. Continues resistance against Jin with Lam Chiu Ying as his partner.

6. Falling out with Lam Chiu Ying. The infamous "stone inscription" bet. Decides to found the Cheun Jen Taoist Sect.

7. Recruits Cheun Jen 7 Disciples as his first students.

8. East Heretic Wong Yerk See exposes the fossilized stone ruse used by Lam Chiu Ying.

9. Gains possession of the 9 Yum Jen Ging.

10. Loses drinking contest to monk friend, and thus must share with this friend the text of the 9 Yum Jen Ging. The monk later uses what he has read to formulate the 9 Yeung Jen Ging.

10. Lam Chiu Ying dies. Wong Chung Yeung pays one final visit to the Ancient Tomb, leaving behind certain inscriptions and letters.

11. Visits South Emperor Deun Chi Hing in Dali. Teaches Sin Teen Gwong Hei to Emperor Deun.

12. First Mt. Hua Sword Tournament.

13. Foiling of West Poison Au Yeung Fung's attempt to steal the 9 Yum Jen Ging, followed immediately by death.

*I'm not sure exactly when Wong Chung Yeung and Chow Bak Tung first met each other, but I get the impression that they had known each other since they were both very young.

I'm also not certain about the exact sequence of Items 8-12.

Banned

i thought first mt hua tournament came b4 him acquiring the scripture and visiting the tomb to write stuff down.

I must say WCY's life seems pretty dull compared to some of the other characters. However his legacy is huge.

Default Query

didnt he go to see the emperor after the first tournament?

also, isnt he a lot older than chow bak tung?

I am also under the impression that WCY visited Southern Emperor after the First Huashan.

"Reverend Yideng raised up his left index finger with the jade bracelet on it. He spinned it around several times and said, “As for me, I did not become a monk for the same reason. Actually, it has something to do with the Sword Meet of Mount Hua, where we compete over the Manual. That year the Quanzhen Sect’s founder, Chongyang Zhenren won the Manual. The following year he paid a visit to Dali, passing along the ‘xian tian gong’ to me. He stayed in my palace for about half a month. We were having the time of our lives discussing martial art. But his martial brother Zhou Botong was fidgety after about ten days of doing nothing; he roamed to the east and strolled to the west inside the palace, and had caused an incident.”

So it was indeed afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    "Reverend Yideng raised up his left index finger with the jade bracelet on it. He spinned it around several times and said, “As for me, I did not become a monk for the same reason. Actually, it has something to do with the Sword Meet of Mount Hua, where we compete over the Manual. That year the Quanzhen Sect’s founder, Chongyang Zhenren won the Manual. The following year he paid a visit to Dali, passing along the ‘xian tian gong’ to me. He stayed in my palace for about half a month. We were having the time of our lives discussing martial art. But his martial brother Zhou Botong was fidgety after about ten days of doing nothing; he roamed to the east and strolled to the west inside the palace, and had caused an incident.”

So it was indeed afterwards.

Hi, may I know which Chapter this is in? I wish to read up on it.

It's Chapter 30.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    I must say WCY's life seems pretty dull compared to some of the other characters. However his legacy is huge.
    That's just because we don't know a lot of details.

If JY turns out to have a manuscript of an unpublished story hidden away somewhere, I hope it's the story of WCY and LCY. I want to know how they met and why they split up.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Yea it will be interesting to find out more about WCY. I would like to know about him.