Thread: Do you believe that Chief Abbot Yeun Chi could die from a beating by sticks?

Default Do you believe that Chief Abbot Yeun Chi could die from a beating by sticks?

The Shaolin Chief Abbot from DGSD, Yeun Chi, was one of the most powerful non Superelite/Elite characters in the story. Shaolin would not have selected a pushover to be its Chief Abbot.

When Yeun Chi died, the physical cause was a beating on his backside by wooden sticks. The beating was administered by low-level Shaolin monks who probably didn't have extraordinary strength (both muscular or internal chi).

Yeun Chi was filled with shame and remorse at the time for his role in the Gate of Ah Mun Massacre and subsequent cover-up that had resulted in numerous deaths and tainted the reputation of Kiu Fung. He was willing to accept his punishment and thus, probably dropped all defense his internal chi would have provided against the beating.

Even so, Yeun Chi would have been a tough physical specimen even without his inner chi. I really doubt that a beating by wooden sticks (on his backside, no less, not his head, which would more likely have been fatal) administered by relatively weak low-level monks would kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    The Shaolin Chief Abbot from DGSD, Yeun Chi, was one of the most powerful non Superelite/Elite characters in the story. Shaolin would not have selected a pushover to be its Chief Abbot.

When Yeun Chi died, the physical cause was a beating on his backside by wooden sticks. The beating administered by low-level Shaolin monks who probably didn't have extraordinary strength (both muscular or internal chi).

Yeun Chi was filled with shame and remorse at the time for his role in the Gate of Ah Mun Massacre and subsequent cover-up that resulted in numerous deaths and had tainted the reputation of Kiu Fung. He was willing to accept his punishment and thus, probably dropped all defense his internal chi would have provided against the beating.

Even so, Yeun Chi would have been a tough physical specimen even without his inner chi. I really doubt that a beating by wooden sticks (on his backside, no less, not his head, which would more likely have been fatal) administered by relatively weak low-level monks would kill him.
    I believe the novel stated that both he and Xu Zhu did not raise their internal energy to defend against the blows. Without internal energy, he's just an ordinary old man, without an especially tough body; sitting in meditation and reading scriptures doesn't do much to build it, and the body-building exercises and chores are done by the low level monks, who are consequently actually much more physically powerful.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Although he may not have raised his internal to protect him from the blows, surely his internal would've sustained his life, unless he suppressed even that somehow.

For Xuan Ci's case, I think he was just too old for it. They were not ordinary wooden sticks you know..

It was not a butt spanking. The hit him on the back as well as the butt. 200 whacks with wooden staves (not just 'a stick').

The 2 were specially designated discipline monks so they were probably trained to hit hard with the staff. It was also stated that they did not want to embarass Xuanci or Shaolin in front of the gathered crowd by appearing to be lenient so they whacked him with full power.

So you take a 60+ old monk without internal power, hit him 200 times with a staff by healthy young men. Not too much of a stretch that he died. Especially if we assume that the 2 discipline monks used their inner power when beating him.

I was actually suprised that a 60-something man could take 200 of those before he carked it.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

I think his internal energy sustained him for that long. He was old and could not survive such a beating.

how come they didnt stop beating him when they saw that this was going to fatal. They're budhist after all.

I find most shaolin monks to great wulin men, but poor budhist monks.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Banned

shaolin monks have low IQ, they practice Iron head too much.

Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung View Post
    how come they didnt stop beating him when they saw that this was going to fatal. They're budhist after all.

Its a plot point. Don't argue

If we had to cook up an excuse.

1. Internal injury killed him, not external wounds. His inner energy was disrupted enough that he could not even unseal his girlfriend's pressure point after the beating.

2. He lost his will to live.

As an additional point, even that doofus Xu Zhu who was supposedly highly skilled and talented in wuxia medicine could not see that Xuanci was dying and only realised it when his mum started shrieking.

I believe there is a combination of reasons:
    1. He lost his will to live.
    2. He refused to raise his inner energy to "defend".
    3. An old man like him would die from such a beating.
    4. He might have actually been suicidal and might actually tried damaging himself internally. He did just re-unite with his son and lover, but I feel that he actually loved his title as the Shaolin Abbott more. Remember that he had multiple occasions whereby he could step up outright and declare the matter outright, but he chose not to, until XYS literally forced it out.
    5. He was guilt-ridden as well.