Thread: computer won't boot

Default computer won't boot

I left a game cd in my cd rom when I shutdown my computer. When I started it the next day, I could see that the computer was accessing it and usually with other CDs it just went back to the HD. But this time, it didn't. Now I can't boot it. I tried using the windows installation cd, nothing happened. Tried to use the free version of the ultimate boot software. Nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by bella25 View Post
    I left a game cd in my cd rom when I shutdown my computer. When I started it the next day, I could see that the computer was accessing it and usually with other CDs it just went back to the HD. But this time, it didn't. Now I can't boot it. I tried using the windows installation cd, nothing happened. Tried to use the free version of the ultimate boot software. Nothing...
    I am actually fixing a computer for someone today, so you're in luck.

What do you see on the screen when you boot up? if you can answer that I should be able to tell you what's wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    I am actually fixing a computer for someone today, so you're in luck.

What do you see on the screen when you boot up? if you can answer that I should be able to tell you what's wrong with it.
    I really really hope so.

Just the dell logo and there is a bar (?) that gets longer but it stopped at barely one quarter of the way. I could see the CD light flickering when I first turned the computer on, then it went dead and everything seemed to hang.

My laptop won't boot either.

It comes up with a black screen with a movable mouse pointer. Keyboard commands don't work.

When I reboot in safe mode, it's the same thing except witht he words safe mode.

Yesterday I had a blue error message, taht I stupidly ignored.

Just the dell logo and there is a bar (?) that gets longer but it stopped at barely one quarter of the way. I could see the CD light flickering when I first turned the computer on, then it went dead and everything seemed to hang.:
    The problem might be related to your BIOS and/or hard disk.

At the Dell logo, press F12 for the boot menu (or equivalent key to enter the boot menu screen)

Once in the boot menu, you should be able to select boot from CDROM or Hard Disk. Try selecting the hard disk and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by u4ria View Post
    The problem might be related to your BIOS and/or hard disk.

At the Dell logo, press F12 for the boot menu (or equivalent key to enter the boot menu screen)

Once in the boot menu, you should be able to select boot from CDROM or Hard Disk. Try selecting the hard disk and see what happens.
    I have done that. Tried pressing F2, F8, F10, F12. It still hanged. Does the ultimate boot disk program work for cases like this? I tried booting with the windows installation CD but nothing happened. Isn't there some freeware or shareware that can bypass the HD?
    Last edited by bella25; 09-19-08 at 02:53 AM.

I have done that. Tried pressing F2, F8, F10, F12. It still hanged. Does the ultimate boot disk program work for cases like this? I tried booting with the windows installation CD but nothing happened. Isn't there some freeware or shareware that can bypass the HD?
    Ok, go to the bios and disable the dell logo, then see what it says.... you still get the dell logo, looks like your HDD is trashed (or window boot sector got corrupted).

The problem can be narrowed down to the BIOS. Since Windows setup disc refused to boot up, means the BIOS did not complete its initialisation and passed on to the Boot program. If your hard disk was faulty, Windows setup would say something about unable to detect HDD.

What you can do is try reset BIOS to default settings. if this doesn't work, the chance the BIOS is faulty is very high. To determine if it's BIOS hardware or software, you can try flashing the firmware to the current version or later (assuming this BIOS function still works). if after flashing the BIOS refuses to boot to CD or HDD, then it looks like your BIOS hardware might be the problem. If it is, its time to put it down

The problem can be narrowed down to the BIOS. Since Windows setup disc refused to boot up, means the BIOS did not complete its initialisation and passed on to the Boot program. If your hard disk was faulty, Windows setup would say something about unable to detect HDD.

What you can do is try reset BIOS to default settings. if this doesn't work, the chance the BIOS is faulty is very high. To determine if it's BIOS hardware or software, you can try flashing the firmware to the current version or later (assuming this BIOS function still works). if after flashing the BIOS refuses to boot to CD or HDD, then it looks like your BIOS hardware might be the problem. If it is, its time to put it down
    Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    Ok, go to the bios and disable the dell logo, then see what it says.... you still get the dell logo, looks like your HDD is trashed (or window boot sector got corrupted).
    OK people, I'm trying to get to the BIOS , but that needs some kind of response when I press F2 or F8 or F something (). I didn't get any response.

How do I 'flash the firmware to the current version or later (assuming this BIOS function still works)'? I really can't afford a new desktop.

OK people, I'm trying to get to the BIOS , but that needs some kind of response when I press F2 or F8 or F something (). I didn't get any response.

How do I 'flash the firmware to the current version or later (assuming this BIOS function still works)'? I really can't afford a new desktop.
    hmmm it's hard to help when i don't have access to your PC.
    I can't think of anything else other than to reset the BIOS/CMOS information by removing the battery. You will need to open the PC up, locate the cell battery. (hopefully, the battery is removable). Leave it for a few minutes and then put the battery back in. Boot it up and fingers crossed the reset fixes the problem.

hmmm it's hard to help when i don't have access to your PC.
    I can't think of anything else other than to reset the BIOS/CMOS information by removing the battery. You will need to open the PC up, locate the cell battery. (hopefully, the battery is removable). Leave it for a few minutes and then put the battery back in. Boot it up and fingers crossed the reset fixes the problem.
    That's flashing? sounds simple enough. Thanks a bundle. I will try disconnecting the battery for a bit. Touch wood.

Default Bios 'unseated'

The Dell guy fixed it. All he had to do was 'reseat' the bios. That was so strange since my computer is a desktop Dell and I had not moved it at all. How could the bios move? So next time your Dell just hanged at the Dell logo and pressing the F buttons don't work, check the bios.

P/S thought the warranty was only for 1 year but it turned out that mine had a 3 year warranty, so another reason to pay extra for warranties.
    Last edited by bella25; 10-14-08 at 12:26 AM.