Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [drama 2008][upcoming] The World They Live In 그들이 사는 세상, [KBS2]

Quote Originally Posted by CanDEE View Post
    According to Jon Doe, the show bombed in Korea...I really dont' get that...Korean viewers in Korea doesn't seems to like show like this right?
    Nope.

What sells in Korea
    - Big budget shows with serious plot and big name male leads.
    - Family oriented long running soap operas that don't sell overseas.
    - Comedy

What doesn't sell in Korea
    - Big budget shows with poor plot and big name female leads.
    - Tear jerkers
    - Romantic series
    - So-called formulatic "Hanryu" dramas.

Basically, actresses are impacted far more than actors because female TV viewers don't respond to selection of female leads anymore, even if they are the likes of Kim Tae Hee, Kim Hee Sun, Yi Young Ae, etc. Actresses have become disposable in drama casting while producers sleep in front of doors of top ranking male actor's houses to beg them to appear in their shows, as it is the plot and the strength of male lead that determines the success or failure of shows.

It's kinda ironic that actresses lose power as female viewers control TV remote and determine which movies to watch at movie theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDoe View Post
    Nope.

What sells in Korea
    - Comedy

- Tear jerkers
    - Romantic series

Basically, actresses are impacted far more than actors because female TV viewers don't respond to selection of female leads anymore, even if they are the likes of Kim Tae Hee, Kim Hee Sun, Yi Young Ae, etc. Actresses have become disposable in drama casting while producers sleep in front of doors of top ranking male actor's houses to beg them to appear in their shows, as it is the plot and the strength of male lead that determines the success or failure of shows.

It's kinda ironic that actresses lose power as female viewers control TV remote and determine which movies to watch at movie theaters.
    I ACTUALLY AGREED WITH YOU....AND THAT'S REALLY SAD ...Oh well...
    ****Love, Live, and watch Asian Series****

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208 View Post
    Bombed as in the rating war. Rating here means how many people watching it the first time when it's aired at 9.55 PM Korean time. The problem is, TWTLI(KBS) is aired against EoE(MBC) and Tazza(SBS) at the same time on a different channel all at 9.55 PM, monday and tuesday.

Even for you I'm sure you're gonna watch EoE instead of watching TWTLI .
    It's all about money and commercial income. If no one watch, the income from commercial also less. Producing show need lots of money and the only way to get it back is from the tv commercial.
    Funny how you mentioned about me going to watch EoE ...actually, i'm kinda get bored of EoE because it's just getting draggy and the thought of 35 more episodes to watch is getting to me...I actually preferred TWTLI and Love Marriage over EoE right now.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Funny how you mentioned about me going to watch EoE ...actually, i'm kinda get bored of EoE because it's just getting draggy and the thought of 35 more episodes to watch is getting to me...I actually preferred TWTLI and Love Marriage over EoE right now.
    Yeah-yeah , I myself still not start, only busy downloading the ental raw and the subs.
    Now I'm more interested watching The Scale Of Providence and just started with it. Hope it's good.

Is Love and Marriage very romantic?
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 10-30-08 at 02:01 AM.

Default The plot?

Nope.

What sells in Korea
    - Comedy

Really? How about the Dr.something show, the one before Dae Jang Geum? Someone said that was very popular in Korea. That was sooo boring, and I actually like the Land which didn't catch on outside Korea.

I wish someone would actually discuss the plot ( and spoilers, I love them) instead of being nasty to each other.
    Last edited by bella25; 10-30-08 at 05:47 AM. Reason: missed a word

Now I'm more interested watching The Scale Of Providence and just started with it. Hope it's good.
    It's a well-written drama even if shot on low-budget.

Is Love and Marriage very romantic?
    Yes. And that's why it bombed(Like I said, romantic dramas and tragic tear jerkers don't sell anymore).

Then the better show to watch for you would be Tazza. I quit watching EoE after a couple episodes and now is watching Tazza exclusively.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Then the better show to watch for you would be Tazza. I quit watching EoE after a couple episodes and now is watching Tazza exclusively.
    Glad that Tazza is good, I also want to watch those. I like Jang Hyuk in Volcano High and Windstruck

I watched only the first episode and wasnt' sure if i want to continue....

Glad that Tazza is good, I also want to watch those. I like Jang Hyuk in Volcano High and Windstruck
    Dude, you got a long list of shows to watch then...you got time now?

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Dude, you got a long list of shows to watch then...you got time now?
    hahaha, yeah the list is super long and no time for it. I'm occupied with US series and new anime at the moment. The following are the series that I currently download at omo-omo/myaigoo (haha cute name)

EOE
    TWTLI
    Kangjeok
    Cloud Stairways (done DL and start watching but stuck at eps 10)
    Love & Marriage
    Scale of Providence (2 eps)
    My Woman
    Kingdom of the Winds
    Beethoven Virus
    Fight
    Painter of the Wind

I admit it's a lot, but I have megaupload premium acct, if I don't download, my MU acct will just wasted like that. Anyway, I just need to point and click . It's not that hard hehe.

i was watching episode 2.3 of this seires but too drunk to continues...Good nite eveyone!

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

i was watching episode 2.3 of this seires but too drunk to continues...Good nite eveyone!
    haha, Halloween party?

haha, Halloween party?
    yes I was at a Halloween party but got drunk way too early...

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

yes I was at a Halloween party but got drunk way too early...
    hahaha, you should travel to Seoul and drink a lot of Soju to train yourself

hahaha, you should travel to Seoul and drink a lot of Soju to train yourself
    why? we have a Big Korean town where i lived and we drank SoJu at Karaoke House all the time...Im about to go to a Korean Public Bath house soon. Grand Opening was two weeks ago..

--Back to the series discussion before Miss Suet fusses at me..hehheeh

This series kinda reminded me of Soulmate ( by the way is one of my favorite Korean series) for some odd reasons..

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Im about to go to a Korean Public Bath house soon. Grand Opening was two weeks ago..
    Haha, is that the one where people can sleep over night in futon. I watch that thingy in Scale of Providence. So sad, I thought people in Korea are all wealthy or live ok, but there are even people who doesn't have a proper housing or place to live.

The people are pretty but that's pretty much it. I found a lot of the plot draggy and cheesy.
    *-._.-*-._.-* carpe diem *-._.-*-._.-*
    www.the-exalted-rambles.blogspot.com

Nope.

What sells in Korea
    - Comedy

- Tear jerkers
    - Romantic series

IMO, it's because actresses who can act and touch people are rare. The only few who has this quality are Moon Geun Young, Lee Dae Hee, Choi Ji Won, Lee Young Ae and Ha Ji Won. When these actresses act, they touch and move people from deep down, while other actresses merely put up a good performance. You can always detect methodical acting from these other actresses too.

Korean actors are not great looking, but something about their charisma or character in the show always draw people in. Their integrity, 'I'll always protect the one I love' attitude and sense of responsibility touches people. Women on the other hand in Korean scripts are at a disadvantage. Their characters are usually directionless, no strong personality and mostly are damsels in distress. Exceptions are Da Jang Geum, Hwang JinYi, Damo and Bright Girl's Success Story. That's the time these power women can outshine the guys through brains and beauty.

I watched a show call Working Mum. Recommend this to all women.