Thread: android - google phone

Default android google platform - HTC Dream

anyone heard about it?

i'm excited about its launch. battling iphone eh.

offered to all tmobile users.

I wanna get one bad!!! hehe.
    Last edited by pandamao; 09-20-08 at 03:50 AM.
    Hatred is a curve blade. The harm we do to others, we also do to ourselves.

i tell you, some ppl argue for the sake of arguing.

When I was only skimming through the topics, I thought this was another one of those spam ones, lol.

I'm interested in seeing how well it'll fare. Google's definitely a force to be reckoned with, but they're also new to the whole phone business....

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    When I was only skimming through the topics, I thought this was another one of those spam ones, lol.

I'm interested in seeing how well it'll fare. Google's definitely a force to be reckoned with, but they're also new to the whole phone business....
    Actually it's the HTC Dream that uses the Android Google Platform.

It's pretty cool, i'm excited to get it!
    Hatred is a curve blade. The harm we do to others, we also do to ourselves.

i tell you, some ppl argue for the sake of arguing.

I wonder how long it will take for Google to make an OS up to speed with Apple or Windows. It's a totally different ball game to what they've been doing previously.

I'm seriously considering a SE Xperia or HTC Touch Pro, but it doesn't look like windows mobile has improved any since 2+ years ago when I had a HTC Universal.
    Looking at clips on youtube, it still looks pretty laggy and I bet they haven't fixed that "memory leak" design flaw.

I say make a phone that sort of like the DS, where you flip it out and you get double the screen. And includes GPS and USB plugin, so when people plugin a keyboard/mouse they can use it as a computer. It's not that hard since they're able to make some good *** screen that's good enough to browse the web (I say double up those 5" screen would be good enough for me.

I've had this phone for about a week (Google Phone). Anyone who's thinking about getting it -- DO IT. It's better than the iPHONE. I know, I had one. Just the Android Apps by themselves are worth the price of the phone. But it really has very few limitations.

hows the blackberry compared to this and the iphone?
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

I've been out of touch with technology, somewhat sad, and I didn't even know the existence of Android until this thread lol. Thanks for posting as I'm looking to upgrade my phone in a month.

I'd like an honest comparison with G1 Android, blackberry, and iPhone as well. Thanks.

hmm i actually heard the blackberry is the friendlier to use if u want to connect to the internet when compared to the iphone, dont know about the android though. also at&t is faster than verizon
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

i gave up. the lack of callerid for sms on my startac pissed me off after getting merry christmas sms's from people I haven't talked to in ages.

got a nokia e71 yesterday because the htc phones and iphone have shit battery cycle and the x1 is too freaking expensive.

Hopefully in another 2 years smartphones will be better.
    If only windows mobile was more minimalistic. What's the point of making an OS with the most features when the hardware can't handle it?

Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai View Post
    I wonder how long it will take for Google to make an OS up to speed with Apple or Windows. It's a totally different ball game to what they've been doing previously.
    I think they got pretty close with their first release, mainly because they're building on an existing OS and there is some experience with Linux on small devices. The number of other phones coming out in 2009 using Android indicates that companies are willing to bet on it appealing to users.

Quote Originally Posted by KChill View Post
    I've had this phone for about a week (Google Phone).
    You know you can get the SDK and play around with writing apps for it? That's why I got an Android Dev Phone 1 but you can use the G1 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Kadaw View Post
    I'd like an honest comparison with G1 Android, blackberry, and iPhone as well. Thanks.
    Youtube is probably your best bet; I've seen a number of (unbiased or somewhat biased) comparisons there.

I've seen an iPhone in action but not used one. Compared to the G1, the the iPhone is less powerful (supposedly it's too slow for Java) and doesn't have a HW keyboard. OTOH, while the screens are the same resolution, the iPhone screen is physically larger which may make interacting with the screen easier. The iPhone browser is probably a little more optimized for the small screen than the current Android browser.

Personally I would expect Android-based phones to quickly catch/pass the iPhone in terms of software. The fact that there will be many different styles of phones running Android means you'll have much more choice in terms of the hardware: no keyboard, front keyboard, slide-out keyboard, big screen, small screen, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by xianzai View Post
    I think they got pretty close with their first release, mainly because they're building on an existing OS and there is some experience with Linux on small devices. The number of other phones coming out in 2009 using Android indicates that companies are willing to bet on it appealing to users.
    I think they are willing to bet on it more because of the name of Google than because of the underlying linux base.

Quote Originally Posted by KeongJai View Post
    I think they are willing to bet on it more because of the name of Google than because of the underlying linux base.
    Keep in mind phone makers would be on the hook if their phones have problems. The cost advantage of the free Android OS would be lost if they take a hit to their reputation and have to spend millions fixing/replacing lots of phones.