Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Novel -vs- TV adaptions

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    LOCH 94 is actually my favorite version and I've seen all versions except the one in the 70s and the latest 2008 one. It definitely followed the novel closely, and sometimes that's really all I want in a wuxia adaptation. No need fixing up the story or being more creative about it if the original story is already good. There were a few miscasts here and there, but overall it wasn't abominable.

BTW, Athena definitely had more than just 2 sets of clothing. She had around 4 or 5. Even if it's not a lot, it looked nice on the eyes and wasn't too flashy.
    and julian is by far still the cutest GJ with his large puppy eyes
    athena's hair twirling was a bit annoying though.

while it's nice to follow the novel closely, i think I actually do prefer changes to the novel while in adaption, given that they MAKE SENSE and are not overly-dragging. My attention span only lasts so long. If they did make it too closely to the novel, I'd get pretty bored, esp considering how often they remake it!
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

Well, they do have some minor alterations and additions in LOCH94. I actually like the way HR's character is softened a bit (more resembling the kinder ROCH version as opposed to the more vicious LOCH version).

Still, while adaptations are adaptations, it's just nice to have at least ONE that follows the novel closely. Those are really the exception rather than the norm.

Hmm, YK is acceptable but MLC's actress looks way too old. Isn't she supposed to be one of the most beautiful in LOCH? Actually neither of them look young enough. Oh well, I like GJ and HR better anyway =)
    Last edited by ChronoReverse; 09-24-08 at 11:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by S Beaver View Post
    while it's nice to follow the novel closely, i think I actually do prefer changes to the novel while in adaption, given that they MAKE SENSE and are not overly-dragging. My attention span only lasts so long. If they did make it too closely to the novel, I'd get pretty bored, esp considering how often they remake it!
    It's very hard to add changes to the adaptation without disrupting the flow of the story. And I see way too many adaptations falling under this category.