Thread: Would wuxia scientific -research- be worth anything?

Default Would wuxia scientific -research- be worth anything?

Now, I'm not talking about literary research where you come up with new theories about how Jin Yong's writing might have been influenced by Shakespeare's daughter. I'm talking about a scientific approach to discover the best predictor (formula) of one's MA level.

here's what you do: line up a couple of predictors, including internal energy, technique, # of elite arts known, confidence level, # of girlfriends had, # of lines spoken, etc. Sample 50 fighters randomly. For each predictor, find the average correlation with the fighter's actual level (predetermined by SPCNET).

If you are inclined, you can try combinations of different predictors. For example, the best predictive combo could be # of elite arts known + # of guys' hands held.

When you find the best predictor, publish a paper detailing the scientific process of the novel discovery. In the future, we can use this predictor to predict someone's true MA level without knowing the level!

=============================
    Yes, inspired by this post.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Banned

haha

Nah too many variables.

Yeah and too many inconsistencies. I don't think the most powerful fighters share enough common characteristics for it to be accurate.

PJ knows that correlation does not equate to cause.

But it's too much. Too many characters - why do we start with something easy: number of love interests (mutual).

Sweeper: 0 (?)
    XZ: 1
    SPT: 1
    XF: 1
    JMZ: 0
    Most greats: 0 (JLFW) to 3 (ZWJ) to 10s (YD)
    DY: 3 (?)

WXB: 7

Actually most JY characters have just 1. With WXB and emperors and ZWJ as outliers. FAIL.

Well for what's been attempted to be done I guess it's best to find some common traits for fighters we KNOW to be on the same level, i.e. the Greats or something.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Well for what's been attempted to be done I guess it's best to find some common traits for fighters we KNOW to be on the same level, i.e. the Greats or something.

But there are still too many variables and inconsistancies. Say XLN defeated GWM, no matter what she used. I very much doubt she can repeat that on say HYS. So the variable is that GWM underestimates the opposition and make poor decisions etc, although in normal circumstances, GWM may not lose to HYS.