Thread: Jin Yong's Jiang Hu Vs Gu Long's Jiang Hu

Default Jin Yong's Jiang Hu Vs Gu Long's Jiang Hu

Which Jiang Hu do you like more? Jin Yong's or Gu Long's or other wuxia writer???

Based on series, I would say Gu Long's Jiang Hu is much more complicated and dangerous with many many twitch (spelling) and turn. We often don't know who is the villain until at least more than half way through. On the other hand, we know most of Jin Yong's villains right from the beginning. Both Gu Long's heroes and villains are much more smarter... They are simply genius but somehow villains still end up dead unpredictably...

Jin Yong's Heroes Vs Gu Long's hero............. Gu Long's heroes win hand down....

Jin Yong's villain Vs Gu Long' villain............ Gu Long's villains win hand down....

Both Jin Yong's heroes and villains share a common weakness. That is predictability.....

I prefer Gu Long's Jiang Hu because there are always very strong fighters in the background who do not play a prominent role in the story, such as the martial brothers of Huo Tianqing in Lu Xiao Feng book 1, or Wang something, the rival of Shen Lang who was rumored to have tried to give his martial arts book to Li XunHuan. The Parrot of Echo Valley is also one of these mysterious masters, although I would have really liked it if Gu Long give him another appearance near the end of Ming Jian Feng Liu.

I like it when the protagonist is strong, but not necessarily the strongest in the universe.

It seems that money is ridiculously easy to come by in Gu Long's universe though, as shown by Yan 13 giving a 50 000 taels of silver debt note to a 7 year old kid. That's a bit too far fetched for me.

Also, Gu Long's Jiang Hu seems more vicious. That's how I prefer it.
    Last edited by Wellesley; 09-28-08 at 09:25 PM.

Yes, Gu Long's universe tends to much more dangerous. The key point: NEVER TRUST ANYONE.
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

Patriotism plays big part in Jin Yong universe while it's pretty much non-existent or very little in Gu Long's.

First post hope I don't get flamed but got a feeling that I might

To me the difference of the 2 writers is kinda like the James Bond movies.

Gu Long is like the old movies Bond is suave the villains are every where and there twist on twist.

Gin Yong is like the new Bond movies there are still twist but its alot more action not just physical but emotional like patriotic duties and love.