Thread: The "Greats" bottleneck

Default The "Greats" bottleneck

In short, do you think it is possible to train to a level significantly higher than end of ROCH Greats without using things like Beiming, energy transfers or other random stuff.

GJ improved drastically to equal other Greats by ROCH, yet by the end of ROCH, he didn't seem to be significantly stronger than other Greats.

Do you think Guo Jing can be significantly stronger than other Greats if given another 30 or so years (if he didn't die).

I think just like in weight lifting, you wil eventually hit a platou. During this period, you wont improve much even though you put in a lot of training hours.
    You do know that it is just fiction, dont you?

Yes the plateau effect. But seeing how amazing Quanzhen internal/9 Yin are, GJ cannot even surpass other Greats significantly in say, 30 years?

I think Quanzhen internal/9 Yin will get the practicioner there faster (9 yang even faster), but they still will have trouble get past the plateau.

I see. So you are in favor of the idea that Greats have in fact reached the boundaries of NORMAL martial arts.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    I see. So you are in favor of the idea that Greats have in fact reached the boundaries of NORMAL martial arts.
    Ïf ROCH/HSDS MA are normal, then yes.

My view is that DGSD MA is way abouve the triology.

Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung View Post
    Ïf ROCH/HSDS MA are normal, then yes.

My view is that DGSD MA is way abouve the triology.

By normal I meant non-energy sucking or energy transfers etc.

You think XF/JMZ etc > GJ, YG etc? Or just the MA? Because I think its mainly XZ/DY's inhuman internal that made them look good, well better than they are.

By normal I meant non-energy sucking or energy transfers etc.

You think XF/JMZ etc > GJ, YG etc? Or just the MA? Because I think its mainly XZ/DY's inhuman internal that made them look good, well better than they are.
    Both MA and XF/JMZ.

Quote Originally Posted by AnhHung View Post
    Both MA and XF/JMZ.

Interesting. I personally think they are pretty comparable. Bar XF who should win against ROCH Great.

Did Xiao Feng fight anybody who was at his level in the entire novel? It seemed he only fought people weaker than he.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen View Post
    Did Xiao Feng fight anybody who was at his level in the entire novel? It seemed he only fought people weaker than he.

Yea he cracked Sweeper Monk's ribs lol. He also took on DCQ+YTZ+MRF. He also demolished other competent fighters. Not to mention his "fighter spirit".

Yea he cracked Sweeper Monk's ribs lol. He also took on DCQ+YTZ+MRF. He also demolished other competent fighters. Not to mention his "fighter spirit".
    Xiao Feng was losing the fight against YTZ and MRF.

Xiao Feng exchanged stances with Murong Bo on 3 separate occasions at Shaolin.

The first time, they projected their internal energy to each other. At that time, Xiao Feng didn't know Murong Bo's identity yet. It was a draw.

The second time, they were running at their maximum speed. Xiao Feng launched a LDA from 20+ feet behind. Murong Bo raised his hand to block from the back, and he got a shock sent through his body. This makes Xiao Feng look a bit more powerful than Murong Bo.

The third time, Xiao Feng launched another palm attack at Murong Bo. Murong Bo was unable to dissipate it, and had to shift it to the side. This again suggests Xiao Feng > Murong Bo in power.

Overall, I'd say Xiao Feng is slightly more powerful than Murong Bo and his father.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

GJ improved drastically to equal other Greats by ROCH, yet by the end of ROCH, he didn't seem to be significantly stronger than other Greats.
    And yet we never even saw GJ fight at the end of ROCH. Of course the assumption is that he must be equal to the other Greats. Can't be less or more.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Xiao Feng exchanged stances with Murong Bo on 3 separate occasions at Shaolin.

The first time, they projected their internal energy to each other. At that time, Xiao Feng didn't know Murong Bo's identity yet. It was a draw.

The second time, they were running at their maximum speed. Xiao Feng launched a LDA from 20+ feet behind. Murong Bo raised his hand to block from the back, and he got a shock sent through his body. This makes Xiao Feng look a bit more powerful than Murong Bo.

I would say that for the first encounter, both probably did not use 100% strength.

Otherwise, MRB would not have been shocked by XF's strength during the 2nd encounter.

Overall, I agree that in their encounters, JY wrote it in a way that made XF look tougher. Nonetheless, 15 year old MRB's total demolition of Yellow Brow and his 80 foot Canhe Zhi were totally impressive. Second only to Sweeper Monk's feats.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    I would say that for the first encounter, both probably did not use 100% strength.

Otherwise, MRB would not have been shocked by XF's strength during the 2nd encounter.
    What do you mean by that? In first encounter, If MRB used 100% while XF used 90%, and they are equal, that would make sense why in 2nd encounter if XF increased to 100%, MRB would feel the pain.

By the way, did you receive expression's interview questions for you?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Also XF can beat Duan Yu in terms of speed in shorter distances. Thats still very impressive considering Duan Yu's LBWB and massive internal.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post

Overall, I agree that in their encounters, JY wrote it in a way that made XF look tougher. Nonetheless, 15 year old MRB's total demolition of Yellow Brow and his 80 foot Canhe Zhi were totally impressive. Second only to Sweeper Monk's feats.
    Incidentally, for anyone interested in reading, the relevant excerpt with the Yellow Browed Monk has been translated by yours truly on the DGSD thread.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!