Thread: The Mentalist - CBS

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Default The Mentalist - CBS

Another defective detective about previous fake-psychic become a very effective detective. Gorgeous Robin Tunney as his boss. A good paired with another defective detective Charlie Crew from Life.

Good news: CBS already greenlight the series for a full season order of 22 episodes. The move comes as The Mentalist has emerged as this season's only surefire hit. In its first two outings, the show has won its time slot with an average 15.4 million viewers.

And yes, this not anything like/similar with another fake psychic - Psych. Psych is a total comedy while Mentalist is more of a dramedy with serious cases.

Genre: Drama
    Network: CBS ( USA)
    Airs: Tuesdays at 09:00 pm
    Runtime: 60 Minutes
    Premiere: September 23, 2008

Simon Baker played Patrick Jane
    Robin Tunney played Teresa Lisbon

This is turning out to be rather enjoyable. I got off to a late start and am now playing catch up.

Patrick Jane's an arrogant, slick, incisive and perceptive maverick who's a delight to watch when he closes in on suspects and takes them on to prove his hunch or employs rather unorthodox techniques to manipulate or confuse them. Simon Baker pulls this character off well, and he looks utterly charming and dashing in those vests and suits. There hasn't been much character development for the rest of the team members yet but I'm looking forward to catching the rest of the season.

i like the case, very interesting, i mean it's like watching criminal minds but in the subtle way, patrick is very good in reading people's character although sometimes not make senses, it doesn't tell the detail of how he manage to do that , his acting is great, but i don't like lisbon, i don't know i found that her acting not very suitable, i like lisbon's character, but i don't like how the actress played it
    Last edited by kblyear; 12-07-08 at 04:15 AM.

He's remarkably observant. Most of the time it is through what people say, their body language and how they behave towards others, and observation of their homes and surroundings. All that plus his knowledge of human behaviour. Hmm ... sometimes he takes big leaps of faith. That's when he lays those traps of his to try to lure the criminal(s) out into the open though that sometimes produces unexpected results.

I like the guys more than the females in the team. They're too uptight. And the portrayal of Teresa Lisbon has been rather bland. I was expecting sparks to fly between her and Patrick Jane given their different characters and views but it's more like fizzle than sizzle ...

Is the season already over?

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by jade_frosts View Post
    He's remarkably observant. Most of the time it is through what people say, their body language and how they behave towards others, and observation of their homes and surroundings. All that plus his knowledge of human behaviour. Hmm ... sometimes he takes big leaps of faith. That's when he lays those traps of his to try to lure the criminal(s) out into the open though that sometimes produces unexpected results.

I like the guys more than the females in the team. They're too uptight. And the portrayal of Teresa Lisbon has been rather bland. I was expecting sparks to fly between her and Patrick Jane given their different characters and views but it's more like fizzle than sizzle ...

Is the season already over?
    Nope, eps 10 out on December 16th. After that a break from Christmas and show resume in January. Same with all other show. Smallville and Supernatural on a break already even earlier.

I think they should consider replacing Robin Tunney. Although there hasn't been much room for her character to develop yet she just comes as bland and boring when Teresa Lisbon hardly seems such a character.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

I think they should consider replacing Robin Tunney. Although there hasn't been much room for her character to develop yet she just comes as bland and boring when Teresa Lisbon hardly seems such a character.
    yeah, both women in this show kinda bleh - but when I watch this is show, I'm more occupied on how Patrick Jane going to solve the murder which is just cool and very unorthodox $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/garrett850/SmokingMonkey.gif')

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208 View Post
    yeah, both women in this show kinda bleh - but when I watch this is show, I'm more occupied on how Patrick Jane going to solve the murder which is just cool and very unorthodox $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r53/garrett850/SmokingMonkey.gif')
    Yep same here. I get engrossed with Patrick Jane's methods and his mannerisms but having good supporting characters is important too. I like watching Patrick and the guys but the female are just either irritating or boring.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

I like watching Patrick and the guys but the female are just either irritating or boring.
    LOL, those guys are cool yeah, remember the Las Vegas episode? too funny to describe and I really love the show with all the bets that the guys do

I just caught up with the last few episodes and I think as much as Jane is a charming and an utterly delightful character for his irreverence and willingness to break rules to solve cases, the show is feeling unbalanced with Lisbon and the rest of the team being as they are. Lisbon's also as full of expressions as a floorboard.

I don't see how they can keep growing this series into a couple of seasons as I'm sure they mean to. Not with the current trajectory. Unless they're going to make Jane fail to catch Red John until the next season. Not sure I want to stick around for so long.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

I just caught up with the last few episodes and I think as much as Jane is a charming and an utterly delightful character for his irreverence and willingness to break rules to solve cases, the show is feeling unbalanced with Lisbon and the rest of the team being as they are. Lisbon's also as full of expressions as a floorboard.

I don't see how they can keep growing this series into a couple of seasons as I'm sure they mean to. Not with the current trajectory. Unless they're going to make Jane fail to catch Red John until the next season. Not sure I want to stick around for so long.
    LOL - you don't want to stay around but it's not the case with it's current rating, which is a juggernaut - . Top 10 every week. Rating is all there is for US Tv, however good a show is, if the rating sucks, LOL in eight episode they all will be terminated. Ask Joss Whedon and co. they have lots of experience with this

Prime-time viewership numbers compiled by Nielsen Media Research for Jan. 12-18.

1. (X) AFC Championship: Baltimore vs. Pittsburgh, CBS, 40.65 million viewers.

2. (1) "American Idol" (Tuesday), Fox, 30.42 million viewers.

3. (1) "American Idol" (Wednesday), Fox, 30.32 million viewers.

4. (X) AFC Championship postgame show, CBS, 25.44 million viewers.

5. (4) "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," CBS, 24.25 million viewers.

6. (5) "NCIS," CBS, 18.62 million viewers.

7. (8) "The Mentalist," CBS, 18.07 million viewers.

8. (12) "Two and a Half Men," CBS, 17.10 million viewers.

9. (X) "The Mentalist" (Sunday), CBS, 16.39 million viewers.

10. (15) "CSI: Miami," CBS, 15.83 million viewers.

Is this show like CSI? If so i will definitely buy the dvd when its available.