Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Beyond the Realm of Conscience 《宮心計》

well becuz tvb is trying to make tavia more popular since after her award in tvb 41 anniversary. most people find the good guys boring becuz they are static characters. we all love to watch dramas that have characters that have in depth personality. if u al are complaining about how she is a goody goody and watch her in the 2000 dragon saber. Those who play Chow Chi Yuek have to look nice and be able to look evil at a certain point and she achieved it i think. i am not her fan but i think if she was to play tavia's role as the nice then evil girl she would alsoo do very well since i've seen her played it before. And u guys cant blame an actor who is trying their best to play that character he or she is given to play. Blame the director.

Quote Originally Posted by kimi911 View Post
    well becuz tvb is trying to make tavia more popular since after her award in tvb 41 anniversary. most people find the good guys boring becuz they are static characters. we all love to watch dramas that have characters that have in depth personality. if u al are complaining about how she is a goody goody and watch her in the 2000 dragon saber. Those who play Chow Chi Yuek have to look nice and be able to look evil at a certain point and she achieved it i think. i am not her fan but i think if she was to play tavia's role as the nice then evil girl she would alsoo do very well since i've seen her played it before. And u guys cant blame an actor who is trying their best to play that character he or she is given to play. Blame the director.
    I wouldn't blame the director. The directors for TVB rarely has control anymore. B4 each director would have their own style, but now all the shows look and feel the same. The biggest issue today is not with the actors, although it is one of the issues, is with the writers. If the writer can't come up with interesting characters, even the greatest actor will still look dull.
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by vinci90 View Post
    The synopsis from the booklet, creds to kevin's fansite:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/8842/b42b810ab6859222b0351d4vt8.jpg')
    *reads synopsis* "... the kind Sam Ho... the good Sam Ho... the persevering San Ho..." Lol, this hard-selling is almost comical.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Official english title: Beyond the Realm of Conscience

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Well obviously this is not about how many series Charmaine has been put in the limelight while other actresses were "ignored" - so it doesnt matter if you felt that way about FH2....but simply the person I was debating with said CHARMAINE ALWAYS gets all the limelight and thus her female co-stars are ignored...and I was proving that that wasnt the case thus my examples of WAB, AOM..etc. Why would I mention FH2? So yes I have seen it...but no it doesnt relate to what we are debating about.

I agree about Country Spirit, that was one of her outstanding performances as opposed to her being competent. I don't think she was overshadowed in "the rest" - she shines nicely in Drive of Life for example without "hogging" all the screentime as some people would put it.

I actually like her character A LOT in WAB, and her subtle performance fits well with her rather subtle, less loud and active character - I'm more bored of her characters like in the beginning of Point of No Return and second generation of Maiden's Vows.
    I would like to say seeing Charmaine as main lead kind of ruins it. I am bored at her being placed first. The thing that is annoying is that Charamine doesn't really take the limelight as you say, because it always ends up that her co stars really just shine through in acting and character. It is just annoying that TVB keep trying to shove her in our faces.
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I would like to say seeing Charmaine as main lead kind of ruins it. I am bored at her being placed first. The thing that is annoying is that Charamine doesn't really take the limelight as you say, because it always ends up that her co stars really just shine through in acting and character. It is just annoying that TVB keep trying to shove her in our faces.
    Read more carefully please...you just agreed with me without realizing it. Whoever it was I was talking to said TVB ALWAYS give Charmaine the limelight (I didnt) and I replied saying that is NOT true as in several series she co-lead and doesnt steal the limelight...although I think she stands out such as the Drive of Life.

I would like to say seeing Charmaine as main lead WORKS for me....TVB rather shoves someone with a lot of fans to displease a few people than to shove someone with less fans and displease more people lol...it just s ucks that you happen to not be a Charmaine fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Read more carefully please...you just agreed with me without realizing it. Whoever it was I was talking to said TVB ALWAYS give Charmaine the limelight (I didnt) and I replied saying that is NOT true as in several series she co-lead and doesnt steal the limelight...although I think she stands out such as the Drive of Life.

I would like to say seeing Charmaine as main lead WORKS for me....TVB rather shoves someone with a lot of fans to displease a few people than to shove someone with less fans and displease more people lol...it just s ucks that you happen to not be a Charmaine fan.
    Well read mine as well. There was no where I said you were wrong but my point also said that i am BORED that she is first lead. It always seem so desperate that TVB is shoving her in my face while i KNOW she won't even stand out in performance as I see the extended class. Even if I were a fan of Charmaine, seeing her all over and playing very stereotypical roles really would get annoying. I remeber i really liked Raymond but he was just all over the places. I didn't evne like his last role in Moonlight.

Well read mine as well. There was no where I said you were wrong but my point also said that i am BORED that she is first lead. It always seem so desperate that TVB is shoving her in my face while i KNOW she won't even stand out in performance as I see the extended class. Even if I were a fan of Charmaine, seeing her all over and playing very stereotypical roles really would get annoying. I remeber i really liked Raymond but he was just all over the places. I didn't evne like his last role in Moonlight.
    I did read yours...but maybe its you who forgot what you wrote yourself - let me recap: "The thing that is annoying is that Charamine doesn't really take the limelight as you say, because..."

Point is...I was saying SHE DOESNT steal limelight nor does TVB always give her limelight...though I have to say she does stand out in some series even when when the focus isnt entirely on her.

Charmaine has played all types of roles...how many series of hers have you seen? Just take a look at HSDS 2000, Country Spirit, Angels of Mission, Perish in the Name of Love, War and Beauty - all are drastically different types of character. Of course she plays some similar types of characters but who doesnt??

I don't see how Charmaine is ALL OVER the place...Forensic Heroes II and Easterly Showers had like 3 to 4 months in between...her next release (Enterprise Doctor) is unknown now. It's actually quite typical for TVB managed artists.

But this is discussion section for the new series, not on Charmaine and her career choices and what not...so I'm gonna TRY MY VERY BEST to end it here lol.

in regards to charmaine as an actress i thought she kinda sucked when she first came out and hated her.... but after country spirit i totally changed my mine.... nowadays i dont mind watching a series with her in it either as co-star or a lead.... i absolutely loved charmaine in drive of life with raymond and i also liked her in FH2, she was cool as the madame ma..

althou i cant say the same for tavia, hated her when she came out in golden faith and still cannot stand her!! i think coz to me she hasnt had that breakthrough performance like charmaine did in country spirit.. who knows maybe this will be her breakthrough?!!

anywayz, sooo looking forward to this series, hope the costumes will be lovely cauz tang dyansty has one of the best looking costumes!!!

Point is...I was saying SHE DOESNT steal limelight nor does TVB always give her limelight...though I have to say she does stand out in some series even when when the focus isnt entirely on her.

The thing is am TRYING to say is that she DOESN"T have the ability to steal the limelight even IF she is given a GOOD role. TVB can give her the opportunity to give the limelight but she she doesn't shine. It's annoying to see her. If she did less series but more difficult roles. I guess I don't feel as annoyed.

Charmaine has played all types of roles...how many series of hers have you seen? Just take a look at HSDS 2000, Country Spirit, Angels of Mission, Perish in the Name of Love, War and Beauty - all are drastically different types of character. Of course she plays some similar types of characters but who doesnt??
    I have been a TVB supporter, but I start to stray from the production when I saw too much linda, Charmaine, Kate Tsui. Trust me, I saw enough of Charmaine. I don't think I rented a series because of her but because of her other costars. Really , you can name me some series, and I think about in 80% of her series, either she couldn't act in the series, or I can name another female costar that did better. Don't get me started on Dance of passion. The year she won for Maiden's vow, she was in Dance of Passion, and Ada made her looked like NOTHING.

The thing is am TRYING to say is that she DOESN"T have the ability to steal the limelight even IF she is given a GOOD role. TVB can give her the opportunity to give the limelight but she she doesn't shine. It's annoying to see her. If she did less series but more difficult roles. I guess I don't feel as annoyed.
    OK thank you for correcting yourself...if you made it clear like this since the beginning, I would have cared less and probably would not bother replying.

I have been a TVB supporter, but I start to stray from the production when I saw too much linda, Charmaine, Kate Tsui. Trust me, I saw enough of Charmaine. I don't think I rented a series because of her but because of her other costars. Really , you can name me some series, and I think about in 80% of her series, either she couldn't act in the series, or I can name another female costar that did better. Don't get me started on Dance of passion. The year she won for Maiden's vow, she was in Dance of Passion, and Ada made her looked like NOTHING.
    But you are still evading my question...you said her roles are all too stereotypical, how so with the series I mentioned?
    Another actress may give a better performance but I don't think Charmaine is completely shut from the limelight ie Sheren Tang gave the best performance in WAB but I think Charmaine deserves an applause as well. On the other hand, in Country Spirit, Charmaine outshined Sheren Tang...You can look at things from either way...

Ada did give an outstanding performance in DOP and in GOL recently, she's a level above Charmaine and I'm more than happy to admit that. But Charmaine winning for Maiden Vows was deserving...much better than some previous awards.

But you are still evading my question...you said her roles are all too stereotypical, how so with the series I mentioned?
    ]
    Stereotypical in the sense that she seem to play either the drop dead gorgeous gal in the series with a tragic life or the perfect person. When she starts to weep in emotional scenes, I don't even find that much pity.
    some I can think of chronologically:

in her early years:
    Each series below, i remember at some point in the stories, she was supposed to be extremely gorgeous character or someone in the series would describe her as really pretty

Detective Investigation Files IV (TVB, 1999)
    The Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain (TVB, 1999)
    Seven Sisters (TVB, 2001)
    Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre (TVB, 2001)
    Crimson Sabre (TVB, 2000)
    Perish in the name of love

they tried to give her more spunky characters but still same thing, gorgeous tragic

country spirit
    Witness to a Prosecution II (TVB, 2003)
    A Herbalist Affair (TVB, 2002)
    Life Begins at Forty (TVB, 2003)
    Angels of Mission (TVB, 2004)

Lately she is playing the angel/perfect bride who is supposed to be independent like roles but still tragic, gorgeous characters.

The Dance of Passion (TVB, 2006)
    Lethal Weapons of Love and Passion (TVB, 2006)
    Always Ready (TVB, 2005)
    Yummy Yummy (TVB, 2005)

and the description of her character in this series seemed like an angelic role/gorgeous and tragic, so add that to the list

The only one where I saw her as somewhat evil was Strike at Heart and she wasn't good.... again, a gorgeous tragic

Stereotypical in the sense that she seem to play either the drop dead gorgeous gal in the series with a tragic life or the perfect person. When she starts to weep in emotional scenes, I don't even find that much pity.
    some I can think of chronologically:

in her early years:
    Each series below, i remember at some point in the stories, she was supposed to be extremely gorgeous character or someone in the series would describe her as really pretty

Detective Investigation Files IV (TVB, 1999)
    The Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain (TVB, 1999)
    Seven Sisters (TVB, 2001)
    Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre (TVB, 2001)
    Crimson Sabre (TVB, 2000)
    Perish in the name of love

they tried to give her more spunky characters but still same thing, gorgeous tragic

country spirit
    Witness to a Prosecution II (TVB, 2003)
    A Herbalist Affair (TVB, 2002)
    Life Begins at Forty (TVB, 2003)
    Angels of Mission (TVB, 2004)

Lately she is playing the angel/perfect bride who is supposed to be independent like roles but still tragic, gorgeous characters.

The Dance of Passion (TVB, 2006)
    Lethal Weapons of Love and Passion (TVB, 2006)
    Always Ready (TVB, 2005)
    Yummy Yummy (TVB, 2005)

and the description of her character in this series seemed like an angelic role/gorgeous and tragic, so add that to the list

The only one where I saw her as somewhat evil was Strike at Heart and she wasn't good.... again, a gorgeous tragic
    LOL who are you kidding? Your categorizing is so broad! Just because she plays a beautiful character, you have a problem with that...and claims she plays stereotypical role???
    Let's use Ada Choi as an example since we both think shes a fabulous actress - extremely beautiful in Where the Legend Begins, extremely beautiful and seductive in Gem of Life, extremely beautiful in Revelation of the Hero back in the early 90s, extremely beautiful in Secret of the Heart - ummm lol I'm speechless.
    - - -
    I don't think Charmaine's characters were described as GORGEOUS in WTAPII or Country Spirit or Always Ready but sure...
    I mean unless it's a light-hearted series, how can characters not go through some tragedies to create drama? Name me your favorite actress and I bet can list a handful series where they play tragic characters...I'm not gonna even go into the whole gorgeous thing lol.

LOL who are you kidding? Your categorizing is so broad! Just because she plays a beautiful character, you have a problem with that...and claims she plays stereotypical role???
    Yea, she gets the character that is deemed the most beautiful and I honestly don't think much of her character has any depth. Not to mention, this nasty trend of her being paried up with Raymond for a bit where she looks so old for him.

Let's use Ada Choi as an example since we both think shes a fabulous actress - extremely beautiful in Where the Legend Begins, extremely beautiful and seductive in Gem of Life, extremely beautiful in Revelation of the Hero back in the early 90s, extremely beautiful in Secret of the Heart - ummm lol I'm speechless.

Wow, it was a bad choice to bring out Ada. You know, I didn't really care much about Ada when she started but she earned my respect. For Dance of Passion, if it wasn't for Ada being cast, I would have skipped it all together.

she was considered a beauty in those role, but I can say that her the roles you listed there had depth where Ada could ACTuALLY add the depth and complexity in her portrayal. Compare Charmaine in the PErish in the name of Love, where she plays the gorgeous princess with Ada's char in WtLB, Ada pwned.

Gem of Life, Ada's scheming expression was MUCH better than any of Charmaine's scheming glare in WAB and Strike of Heart.

and Secret of the Heart, oh come on, in terms of depth of character, I can't think of Charmaine's role having as much depth as the psychology messed-up Ada in Secret of the Heart.

I recently re watched Unnatural Born Killers and Ada played the big loud mouth sister figure. She gave so much spunk and when Charmaine tried to act any spunky she just ended up seeming bratty ( Angels of Mission; she and Patrick Tam fighting were a bore)

and last pointer: This isn't Charmaine thread so if you want to keep proving that Charmaine is awesome, then you can pm or email, and I would keep throwing back at you that she isn't as good as you say. I am not fond of her nor do I think she is the worst of her kind. It is the constant appearance of her giving more quantity than quality that made me more annoyed of her and dodging anything that she stars in.
    Last edited by Sugar; 01-29-09 at 06:50 PM.

Yea, she gets the character that is deemed the most beautiful and I honestly don't think much of her character has any depth. Not to mention, this nasty trend of her being paried up with Raymond for a bit where she looks so old for him.

Wow, it was a bad choice to bring out Ada. You know, I didn't really care much about Ada when she started but she earned my respect. For Dance of Passion, if it wasn't for Ada being cast, I would have skipped it all together.

she was considered a beauty in those role, but I can say that her the roles you listed there had depth where Ada could ACTuALLY add the depth and complexity in her portrayal. Compare Charmaine in the PErish in the name of Love, where she plays the gorgeous princess with Ada's char in WtLB, Ada pwned.

Gem of Life, Ada's scheming expression was MUCH better than any of Charmaine's scheming glare in WAB and Strike of Heart.

and Secret of the Heart, oh come on, in terms of depth of character, I can't think of Charmaine's role having as much depth as the psychology messed-up Ada in Secret of the Heart.

I recently re watched Unnatural Born Killers and Ada played the big loud mouth sister figure. She gave so much spunk and when Charmaine tried to act any spunky she just ended up seeming bratty ( Angels of Mission; she and Patrick Tam fighting were a bore)

and last pointer: This isn't Charmaine thread so if you want to keep proving that Charmaine is awesome, then you can pm or email, and I would keep throwing back at you that she isn't as good as you say. I am not fond of her nor do I think she is the worst of her kind. It is the constant appearance of her giving more quantity than quality that made me more annoyed of her and dodging anything that she stars in.
    I'm not telling anybody to think Charmaine is awesome, I'm saying I think she's versatile...and I'm gonna stick with it.

But lol every time you replied you add something new - first it was her stereotypical roles being gorgeous and tragic...after proving you wrong you started saying her characters have no depth. Sorry but someone who constantly has no idea what they're talking about previously is hard to debate with. PM me instead of replying here to set an example =).

Costume fitting: Feb 16th

Starts Filming: Feb 20th

Hooray for the series to start

I saw the costume fitting pics at Sehseh's blog, thanks for posting them! So colorful. I really can't wait to see it now. I have to wonder though if their hair are made of artificial hair wrapped around and around or if it's just one big solid block... How heavy is it? What if it falls off during filming? XD

Source: Takungpao, Mingpao, Oriental Daily
    Translated by: aZnangel @ http://asianuniverse.net/forums/

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.takungpao.com.hk/2tkp_site2/news/images/09/02/17/UHK-31.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.takungpao.com.hk/2tkp_site2/news/images/09/02/17/UHK-34.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://orientaldaily.on.cc/photo/20090217/ent/0217enew11b1.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://orientaldaily.on.cc/photo/20090217/ent/0217enew10b2.jpg')

"Palace Schemes" Costume Fitting: Charmaine Sheh & Kevin Cheng wooden when taking pictures

Rumored couple Charmaine Sheh and Kevin Cheng, after being rumored together, TVB purposely arranged them to be a couple in a new series. The two will be collaborating once again in a new ancient series "Beyond The Realm of Conscience" (宮心計)[Previously known as: Palace Schemes"]. Yesterday the series held its costume fitting in TVB City, the two were at the same place, but still had zero interactions, their appearance seems to be earnest.

Yesterday at the costume fitting, the cast all attended including Michelle Yim, Susanna Kwan, Moses Chan, Tavia Yeung, but rumored couple Charmaine Sheh and Kevin Cheng were the main focus once again. However, they both still did as Reporters requested, they stood together to take pictures, but their appearance seems very wooden, avoiding each other very much. On the other hand, Moses and Tavia were playing very happily, Tavia would always play with Moses's headdress. When they were taking pictures, Moses also placed his arm on Tavia's shoulders, Tavia smiled: "Wah! You're not afraid of people calling you a Salty Pig Hand?"

Asked Charmaine about her collaborating with Kevin again, are they afraid of stirring up the rumors again? She said that the rumors cannot be controlled, when they see each other, they won't feel embarrassed. The most crazy thing was being followed by the Doggie Team. Reporters said that she and Kevin had zero interaction, Charmaine explained that they had no chance to chat. Charmaine said that the series will talk about fights within the Palace. She highly praised the good script and cast, so she has great hope for this upcoming series.

As for Kevin, will he feel that his rumors with Charmaine will lead the series? He expressed that it cannot be said like that, he felt that everyone being apart of the series is a good thing. He personally feels that he has no choice, this is just one way to do promotion. Does he feel a lot of pressure by the rumor? He said: "Can't say it like that, it is my lines that makes me stressful, the language is kind of hard."

"Lor Lui" Tavia Yeung this time will turn evil, in the series she will be playing an Evil Concubine. She will be against Charmaine. She said that this time, she will count on her eyes to act out the role, she will be practicing Lau Hiu Hing's (劉曉慶) acting. She said that in the past she has played many good characters, had always wanted to try a different type of role. This time she hopes that she could win a breakthrough based on her evil role.

Michelle Yim's boyfriend was rumored that his illness had gotten worse and had to go back to the hospital. Recently, it was rumored that her boyfriend lost his eyesight, becoming blind. Yesterday at the costume fitting press conference, Michelle was asked about the rumor. Michelle clarifies that there is no such thing, she said that her boyfriend is fine and also he is very lively. Currently he is at home resting, she also doesn't understand why such rumor would come about. Michelle then said that often she and her boyfriend would out for a joy ride. Currently, he also goes back to the hospital occassionally to get checked up. As for Valentine's Day, which had just passed, did her boyfriend propose to her yet? She immediately said sweetly: "I told him not to say it yet, after filming this series, I will think about it!"

Francois is very naive
    Also, Francois Hyunh and his girlfriend Karen's "brother-sister love" had recently become the main focus in the news. Mandy Cho who had once been rumored with Francois's older brother Stephan Hyunh replied to the issue. She expressed that the issue has died down, there is no problems currently. But Mandy expressed that she felt Francois is quite a naive boy, believes that the headlines aren't true. Also she doesn't know his girlfriend Karen, but she did send Francois a text to ask him about the matter.

I agree with you about Ada as an actress who can really act and carry out her roles. After seeing her in Gem of Life, my god, this woman can really act. Since her role in there is the most complicated.
    I'm not really a fan of Charmaine, but I watch this series for Tavia. Tavia get my respect, she start out in TVB training school. Not like most of the actress this days get it through beauty pagent.

credit to Felli@AF

Felli's note: I saw these info on chinese wikipedia, so I might as well translate it. I'm not sure how accurate it is (both my translation & info), so take it as a pinch of salt for now. $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://images.asianfanatics.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif')

click to show/hide spoilers

Michelle & Susanna's character were actually best friends before they fell out with each other. Both of them will scheme and plot against each other, along with Rosanne Lui & Kara Hui's character. Ram Tseung will have a liking for Michelle. Susanna is the old flame of Cheung Kwok Keung's character.

We all know about Tavia & Charmaine's storyline and how Tavia will seek revenge against Michelle, Susanna, Rosanne & Kara, and Charmaine will protect them.

On the concubine's side, Tavia will scheme against other concubines - Selena, Mandy & Tracy. Selena will be Tavia's biggest opponent as she will have the backing of her father (Cheung Kwok Keung) and her mother (Lam Yi Kei) in the palace. Vin Choi is a eunuch and has a liking for Selena (but he said it's for Tavia in interview, so I'm not sure). Tavia will make good use of him to defeat Selena. Yoyo Chen is a palace maid and will become Tavia's personal maid.

Lau Dan is the prime minister while Kwok Fung is one of the advisors in the palace. Kevin Cheng & Kwok Fung are father/son. Mary Hon & Moses Chan are mother/son. If I'm not wrong, Edwin Siu & Tse Shuet Sum are mother/son, both of them will harm Mary & Moses to snatch the Emperor's place (to try and bring Mo down).

And if you're wondering what's Krystal Tin's role is, she is the MOTHER of Charmaine! Yes what the heck! $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://images.asianfanatics.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/shocked.gif')