Thread: difference between novels and films

Default difference between novels and films

general question,

i've read quite a few novels and only a small amount of them seem to feature stories of when female characters fall in love with other female characters inpersonating as males.

yet this type of relationship is present in a lot of films.

is it because the general reading society doesn't like this type of relationship?

i can think of very few in books but many in dramas.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

I haven't personally seen many films in which a female character falls in love with another female character who is impersonating a man. Can you name some of the films you're thinking of?

I can think of some Western literature where this occurs. At least one of of Shakespeare's plays has a woman become attracted to another woman in male dress. I think that may occur in 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'.

I find it interesting that there are so many Asian films where a woman dresses as a man and is immediately accepted as male by all the men around her, no matter how pretty and feminine she is.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

For instance Li Bing Bing.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i34.tinypic.com/huloat.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    I haven't personally seen many films in which a female character falls in love with another female character who is impersonating a man. Can you name some of the films you're thinking of?

I can think of some Western literature where this occurs. At least one of of Shakespeare's plays has a woman become attracted to another woman in male dress. I think that may occur in 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'.

I find it interesting that there are so many Asian films where a woman dresses as a man and is immediately accepted as male by all the men around her, no matter how pretty and feminine she is.
    have you seen Japanese boyband members. A ton of them are quite girly looking, so if a guy decided that a girly looking guy is a female and fall for him, what would happen when he finds out that he who look like a she is a he? Better to be safe and accept what was disclosed.

I have seen several shows where female characters falls for a female character impersonating a guy, but the one that comes to mind is the 1990s TVB show starring Roger Kwok and Alvina Kong (forgot the actual name). They were secluded country bumkins who went to the wulan. Alvina wasn't technically impersonating a guy, since she actually thought she was one, but a girl did fall for her.

I recall a vietnamese Cai luong starring Bach Tuyet where she was impersonating a guy. She actually married another girl to hide her identity, but neither were lesbians. It was quite messed-up. and I felt sorry for the wife.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

i think the one ur thinking of is manh le quan.

more easily known as Eternal Happiness staring Michelle Ye and Raymond Lam. Michelle also had a girl for in love wit her.

Road of Heroe's had 3 girls for in love with Elvina's male identity. who all hated her and tried to kill her after they found out. 2 out of the 3 anyway.

Maggical Needle the ATV file had Bach Van Phi who is impersonating a male, Ngoc Tieu Tien Tu was in love with her.

Crimson Saber of TVB had On Thanh Thanh dressed up as a guy and the sect leader fell in love with her.

That film with Fan Bing Bing and Huang Hai Bing had Fan Bing Bing dressed up as a guy and this girl fell in love with her.

game of deceit had Shirley fall in love with Jessica Hsuan character, believing her to be a male since they were engage at birth. Shirley remained in love with Jessica to the end even though she knew Jessica was a girl afterwards.

i remember there were alot but can't remember them all rite now.

however in novels, i only record one novel tat had such, it was Crimson Saber and it was still between On Thanh Thanh and the sect leader girl.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticDust View Post
    They were secluded country bumkins who went to the wulan. Alvina wasn't technically impersonating a guy, since she actually thought she was one,
    That is completely messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    however in novels, i only record one novel tat had such, it was Crimson Saber and it was still between On Thanh Thanh and the sect leader girl.
    I'd completely forgotten that - He Tieshou does meet Wen Qingqing in male disguise. I've only seen the 2007 mainland version and they didn't do much with the gender confusion there, although Yuan Chengzhi spent a lot of the series thinking Qingqing was a guy. I think he kept calling her 'xiong di' even after he found out she was a girl.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    That is completely messed up.

I'd completely forgotten that - He Tieshou does meet Wen Qingqing in male disguise. I've only seen the 2007 mainland version and they didn't do much with the gender confusion there, although Yuan Chengzhi spent a lot of the series thinking Qingqing was a guy. I think he kept calling her 'xiong di' even after he found out she was a girl.
    Well in the 3rd edition, JY changed that so He Tieshou did not fall in love with QQ when she was dressed as a guy. THe 2007 version was based on the third edition that was why YCZ had feelings for the princess too. YCZ always called QQ "Qing De", but that was more out of closeness. He of course knew that she is a girl...
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

did i mention i dislike the 3rd edition. i read the first edition and liked QQ and YCZ love.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    did i mention i dislike the 3rd edition. i read the first edition and liked QQ and YCZ love.
    Did you even read the 3rd edition( I think it is only available in Chinese anyway)? Anyways, I actually liked some of the changes in the 3rd edition. ONe of them is that He TieShou knew that QQ was a girl right away and did not fall for her at all. About QQ and YCZ's love, I actually liked the changes in the 3rd edition since I find QQ really annoying and did not understand why YCZ was SO devoted to her. IT almost made him a robot which made no sense at all.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

i got my friend to read it to me.

which now she refuses to go to a bookshop with me. especially those in chinese. i asked her to skip most of the story as i only wanted to know what happaned between YCZ and QQ.

i've always like QQ and liked the fact tat He TieShou fell for QQ, since it made HTS so girlish. loved her character, whished she had a better ending, maybe get a guy or something.

I thought YCZ like QQ since they spent alot of times together, he himself didn't really understand what the feeling was untill much later in the story, love to him wasn't something on the front of his mind.

QQ was not only his first love, she was also he's only family and he's best friend.