Thread: How did the 1st Huashan Martial Arts Tournament go?

Default How did the 1st Huashan Martial Arts Tournament go?

Wang Chongyang was said to be able to kick the post 16 years Goldie's butt with ease. He also defeated Ouyang Feng in 1 finger. From the beginning of Eagle Shooting to the end of Divine Eagle the power of the Greats was said to have been mulltiplied by 4 times. Therefore it's safe to say that Wang, when he was in his prime, was 120% as good as the post 16 years Greats and at the time of the 1st Huashan Martial Arts Tournament he should have been 500% better than the other Greats. But there remains a mystery of why it took Wang up to 7 days to become the victor of the 1st tourney, which have dimmed his almost peerless martial arts.
    I've come up with a theory to explain why in the 1st Huashan Tourney it took CENTRAL DIVINITY Wang Chongyang, one of the greatest martial arts geniuses in JY's novels, up to 7 days to defeat the other 4 rookies who were only in their early 30s at that time:
    Day 1: They greeted each other, drank wine, ate food, and drew lots to decide who would fight whom in the later days. The 5 all agreed that there'd be only a 1 on 1 match a day. The winner'd get 3 pts. The loser'd get 0. If the match resulted in a draw each competitor would have 1 pt.
    Day 2: Wang Chongyang 3 def. Ouyang Feng 0
    Day 3: Hong Qigong 1 drew with Huang Yaosh 1
    Day 4: Wang Chongyang 6 def. Yideng 0
    Day 5: Huang Yaoshi 2 drew with Ouyang 1
    Day 6: Wang Chongyang 9 def. Hong Qigong 1
    Day 7: Huang Yaoshi 3 – Yideng 1
    The tourney stopped after Day 7 coz no one among the rest would be able to achieve a higher score than Wang Chongyang's!
    Last edited by wuyuejin; 10-11-08 at 03:17 AM.
    日暮乡关何处是?烟波江上使人愁。

How did the 1st Huashan Martial Arts Tournament go?
    Good.

ARTS (kind of).
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Lol I doubt it happened like that. A point system. The relative ability would be quite apparent after a while and if WCY was 5 times better, it would've clearly obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Good.

ARTS (kind of).
    I was going to say, "It went very well, thanks. Nobody got killed."

But you beat me to it.

WCY's martial arts weren't peerless. The only reasonable explanation (that doesn't assume a lot of other things, aka Occam's Razor) is that ZBT was exaggerating the claims of how strong WCY was, and that it wasn't meant to be literal that he would smash GWM in 10 moves.

WCY's martial arts were on par with everyone else's. His XTG was roughly equivalent to YYZ, otherwise the exchange wouldn't have taken place.

^ I didn't say that Wang Chongyang could whip Goldie's butt in 10 moves. However he should be able to beat Goldie in 300 or so moves. Xiantiangong and Yiyangzhi may be about equal to each regarding power but that's not important as at the time of the 1st tournament Wang had practiced XTG for a much longer time than Yideng had practice YYZ. Further, the reason why Wang swapped his art for Yideng's art was that he wanted Yideng to replace himself as an Ouyang Feng's tamer. He didnt do that for the sake of YYZ.
    日暮乡关何处是?烟波江上使人愁。

They were vying for 9Yin, the most coveted thing in Wulin at that time, so I don't think its a (too much) friendly contest among them.

Plus with Ouyang Feng around, nothing is friendly. And Huang Yaoshi too, he can be ruthless if needed.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by wuyuejin View Post
    ... He also defeated Ouyang Feng in 1 finger. ...
    Wow, this is exaggerating. You probably have overtaken Dennis as the #1 supporter of Wang Chongyang with one sentence!

Wang Chongyang was said to be able to kick the post 16 years Goldie's butt with ease. He also defeated Ouyang Feng in 1 finger. From the beginning of Eagle Shooting to the end of Divine Eagle the power of the Greats was said to have been mulltiplied by 4 times. Therefore it's safe to say that Wang, when he was in his prime, was 120% as good as the post 16 years Greats and at the time of the 1st Huashan Martial Arts Tournament he should have been 500% better than the other Greats. But there remains a mystery of why it took Wang up to 7 days to become the victor of the 1st tourney, which have dimmed his almost peerless martial arts.
    I've come up with a theory to explain why in the 1st Huashan Tourney it took CENTRAL DIVINITY Wang Chongyang, one of the greatest martial arts geniuses in JY's novels, up to 7 days to defeat the other 4 rookies who were only in their early 30s at that time:
    Day 1: They greeted each other, drank wine, ate food, and drew lots to decide who would fight whom in the later days. The 5 all agreed that there'd be only a 1 on 1 match a day. The winner'd get 3 pts. The loser'd get 0. If the match resulted in a draw each competitor would have 1 pt.
    Day 2: Wang Chongyang 3 def. Ouyang Feng 0
    Day 3: Hong Qigong 1 drew with Huang Yaosh 1
    Day 4: Wang Chongyang 6 def. Yideng 0
    Day 5: Huang Yaoshi 2 drew with Ouyang 1
    Day 6: Wang Chongyang 9 def. Hong Qigong 1
    Day 7: Huang Yaoshi 3 – Yideng 1
    The tourney stopped after Day 7 coz no one among the rest would be able to achieve a higher score than Wang Chongyang's!
    i highly doubt it (words in bold). WCY was nothing THAT special. i bet a ROCH great can fight WCY to a draw/defeat him, definitely not inferior to him.
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    i highly doubt it (words in bold). WCY was nothing THAT special. i bet a ROCH great can fight WCY to a draw/defeat him, definitely not inferior to him.

But I reckon end of ROCH Great is at least 2 times as good as WCY lol.

To shortsight: Maybe I was exaggerating, but only a little bit coz Wang Chongyang did defeat Ouyang Feng with 1 stance of Yiyangzhi in Eagle Shooting Hero.

To LuNaR: Hm, may I ask you why Wang was not special? He defeated Ouyang Feng in 1 stance, he was said to be capable of easily beating up Goldie, he needed only 1 read to fully grab the essence of the 9 Yin Manual.

To flamer: No way the post 16 years Greats could be 2 times as powerful as WCY. Instead, I think Wang is equal to 130% of each of them.
    日暮乡关何处是?烟波江上使人愁。

To flamer: No way the post 16 years Greats could be 2 times as powerful as WCY. Instead, I think Wang is equal to 130% of each of them.

What... but you're ignoring the evidence of:

WCY took 7 days... (no your example don't quite make sense lol)
    H7G thinks hes got a shot at defeating WCY with full XL18Z (and he knows quite a bit about martial arts).

OYF was defeated in one stance by a ghost.

Saying OYF was defeated in one stance is like saying Sweeper spat blood after one stance from XF.

With 9 Yin - we don't know how good the other greats would be at absorbing the essence. And being able to grasp the essence fast doesn't make him better fight than the other greats. If we look at the other greats association with 9 Yin: HYS thought he could make up an internal to go with external of 9Yin, ZBT 'accidently' learnt the bottom half in a very short while, OYF made 'sense' of a bs 9Yin. And being a taoist, we expect WCY to grasp 9Yin fast.

ZBT saying WCY can beat up Goldie means nothing. And we know Goldie lose to almost anything. Goldie was defeated by HYS's 2nd hand formation without HYS even being present.

I choose to interpret it LOCH way. Clearly WCY was ahead, but not so much that the other greats wouldn't even bother turning up to HuaShan. Remember, QQR thought he was too far behind other greats, so he did a no-show. If the other greats were really 4x worse, why would they even bother challenging for 9 Yin. We are talking about intelligent, logical, calculating and proud people like HYS, OYF and an emperor in YD.

ROCH screwed the levels all up with all the inconsistent comments.

Yes WCY would beat JLFW up according to ZBT, but maybe that's because ZBT was comparing himself to JLFW and back 30+ years ago, WCY would whip someone of ZBT's ability. ZBT forgot the important point of he improved since WCY died, and always look up to him from a stagnant point of view. In addition how could ZBT qualify? The memory of WCY's fighting ability was more than 30/40 years ago. ZBT himself back then was so far back from greats level, let alone WCY level, how could he adequately percieve WCY's ability and compare to present day JLFW?

Yes lvl 10 Elegon is 2x power of lvl 9 Elegon. But that doesn't make JLFW 2x better fighter than 16 years ago. It makes sense to me that great's improvement slowed during ROCH, and JLFW's improvement over 16 years is only slightly better.

Not a chance in hell. That would put him stronger than Z3F. GJ actually learned the entirety of 9Yin, and he had the essence of QZ internal too, as well as the full set of XL18Z (which H7G thought he could beat WCY with).

WCY simply gets outclassed as ROCH rolls on. The improvement shown there continues while WCY's doesn't, because he died.

Not that I'm a supporter of the "Wang > ROCH Greats" thing , but just wanted to point out that according to Athena, the bit about "Hong Qigong thinking he with better XL18Z could defeat Wang" has been removed from 3rd edition, so perhaps we should toss that "evidence" out from now on.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Not that I'm a supporter of the "Wang > ROCH Greats" thing , but just wanted to point out that according to Athena, the bit about "Hong Qigong thinking he with better XL18Z could defeat Wang" has been removed from 3rd edition, so perhaps we should toss that "evidence" out from now on.

Really? JY seems keen to keep WCY powerful then. But it still doesn't make sense.

WCY was older than the rest of the greats in LOCH too, so when compared at same age, GREATS > WCY easy
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

WCY was about twice the age of the other greats who were only about 35yrs old at the time of the 1st huashan tournament. the remaining greats where about 40yrs plus at the second tournament. {evidence is from HYS who claimed yang guo had reached a level of inner power ten years ahead of him and needs about three years more to master TZTSG and jade flute swordplay, yang guo was about 19yrs old then. HYS at same level would have been around 30 and a couple of years to gain a reputation sufficent to earn an invite to the huashan tournament}

WCY died about ten years after the tournament at age 80yrs old.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/