Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Designing a 'wuxia' heroine costume

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    It hasn't even begun yet! All I've done is buy the fabric. I've got to get together with my friend soon and have measurements taken. I'm not expecting to wear it until April, so it will be a while until it's finished.

Those cosplay people make me feel so inadequate. I wonder how much money and time they spend on those costumes. The wigs alone must cost a fortune!
    Oooh, well, I can't wait to see.

Speaking of wings, I made a butterfly costume for Halloween, and the wings take a long time (took me about seven hours).
    My costume cost about $60 to make (it would have been more if I didn't already have a dress and shoes). The entire thing took around eight hours.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    Why don't u guys just organize an spcnet costume party and show up as your fav. hero/heroine?
    Half will turn up as GJ, the other half YG and maybe we can fight and decide if GJ>YG once and for all?
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

I finally got the costume finished and wore it to the event last Friday. The event we attended was Norwescon, a science fiction and fantasy fandom convention held annually in Seattle, Washington for the past 32 years.

Coincidentally, there was a panel on Friday titled "Costuming in the Middle Kingdom". We were not aware of this until after we decided to do the costumes.

Here are some photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wuxiagi...=1239811703122
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wuxiagirl/3443219905/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wuxiagirl/3443219899/

Everybody loved my husband's monk costume, especially the staff, which we ordered from www.wle.com. Sadly the Shaolin Luohan shoes we also ordered from them turned out to be very uncomfortable for him. But my boots turned out well - and I bought them from Amazon!

I have more photos from the convention, but I haven't had time to upload them yet.
    Last edited by sniffles; 04-15-09 at 12:36 PM.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

The costumes look amazing!!! I love the color of your costume!!! Now I want one!

I finally got the costume finished and wore it to the event last Friday. The event we attended was Norwescon, a science fiction and fantasy fandom convention held annually in Seattle, Washington for the past 32 years.

Coincidentally, there was a panel on Friday titled "Costuming in the Middle Kingdom". We were not aware of this until after we decided to do the costumes.

Here are some photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wuxiagi...=1239811703122
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wuxiagirl/3443219905/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wuxiagirl/3443219899/

Everybody loved my husband's monk costume, especially the staff, which we ordered from www.wle.com. Sadly the Shaolin Luohan shoes we also ordered from them turned out to be very uncomfortable for him. But my boots turnd out well - and I bought them from Amazon!

I have more photos from the convention, but I haven't had time to upload them yet.
    Thanks for posting!

Wow! Impressive! I see you've met Yang Guo's bird friend.

Haha. Your husband looks just like a monk. Though I never seen a monk dressed in blue. Usually, the Shaolin monks dress in yellow, orange, brown or a dark gray color for lower level monks. You know earthy colors.

Cute costume, Sniffles! I wish I could make one too. Hmm...now that I've seen you in that costume, I wonder how you'd look in longer robes like Madame Yue in Xiao Ao Jiang Hu? And maybe a purple or dark reddish color would look quite elegant on you.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Thanks for posting!

Wow! Impressive! I see you've met Yang Guo's bird friend.
    Haha!! I didn't even think of that!

Haha. Your husband looks just like a monk. Though I never seen a monk dressed in blue. Usually, the Shaolin monks dress in yellow, orange, brown or a dark gray color for lower level monks. You know earthy colors.

Cute costume, Sniffles! I wish I could make one too. Hmm...now that I've seen you in that costume, I wonder how you'd look in longer robes like Madame Yue in Xiao Ao Jiang Hu? And maybe a purple or dark reddish color would look quite elegant on you.
    My husband chose the colors for his costume. He would look terrible in red or yellowish tones, and we didn't want him to look like a real monk. We didn't want to offend anyone who might actually be Buddhist.

I would love a Madam Yue-style costume, but went for something more "practical" this time out. You can't see it too well in that photo but I've got a taiji sword.

I'm also wearing a wig there. My natural hair is very short.

Haha!! I didn't even think of that!

My husband chose the colors for his costume. He would look terrible in red or yellowish tones, and we didn't want him to look like a real monk. We didn't want to offend anyone who might actually be Buddhist.

I would love a Madam Yue-style costume, but went for something more "practical" this time out. You can't see it too well in that photo but I've got a taiji sword.

I'm also wearing a wig there. My natural hair is very short.
    Okay. I understand. May we see more stereotypical wuxia poses from you? I afraid that one pose wasn't enough to see you in different angles. Are those your favorite colors?

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Okay. I understand. May we see more stereotypical wuxia poses from you? I afraid that one pose wasn't enough to see you in different angles.
    I have a couple more photos, but I didn't do enough different poses. I won't be able to upload them until Thursday, though. I'm too busy tonight.
    Are those your favorite colors?
    They're not my favorite colors. They were partly chosen because those fabrics were on clearance sale at the fabric store. But I do like orange.

The outfits and pics were awesome!!! I'm going to beg my mom to make me a costume tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    The outfits and pics were awesome!!! I'm going to beg my mom to make me a costume tonight.
    My friend who made the costumes used Folkways patterns, if that helps.

Thanks Sniffles! Its pretty sad that I can't even do buttons and my mom is a master tailor.

I wonder if the Chinese/TVB studios ever auction off their old costumes??

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    Thanks Sniffles! Its pretty sad that I can't even do buttons and my mom is a master tailor.

I wonder if the Chinese/TVB studios ever auction off their old costumes??
    No. They often just reuse and recycle their costumes for other series.