Page 84 of 87 FirstFirst ... 347475767778798081828384858687 LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 1729

Thread: Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber-2008

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    My god, what on earth was going on in that scene? It just felt like a screaming match where everyone was trying to outdo each other exaggerating (HXM will fit in there nicely). ZM seems like a mad and angry woman, a total opposite of what ZM was. I thought the way ZM was scripted in the wedding scene for the 2003 version was bad but i think this one's worse. I've watched quite a few clips of Kathy's ZZR before and I have to say that though she's a very appropriate-looking ZZR and did well for ZZR's "nice and early" scenes, I didn't like her acting at all after ZZR went "evil"- it was very exaggerated with enlarged fierce eyes and stretching of lips which screamed "crazy" to me.
    Hehehehe... Sunny, wait until you get the chance to see the rest of it... another 40-odd episodes of the same and then you'll realize how different that version is!

I agree with you about Kathy being too 'crazed' a ZZR for me... but compared to how wild the ZM and ZWJ are in that version, she was just being consistent with the other characters.

I'm also voting for there being quite a strong resemblance between Kathy and GYY... maybe that's what prejudices me against GYY (though I think she's an awesome actress in general), is that her ZZR reminded me too much of Kathy's in terms of looks.

Last post, I promise... well, at least for the next 15 minutes!

This has at the 3:20's Idy Chan as Xiao Zhao in the 1978 version saying goodbye to ZWJ- quite a pretty costume and of course Idy went on to be Xiao Long Nu alongside Andy Lau's Yang Guo, so she herself went on to bigger roles at TVB.

I'm not a big fan of Idy, but I find her quite an apt Xiao Zhao.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EolEq...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by yanfeng View Post
    Has it been 15 min yet? Good!

Just to give some select annotations to this clip
    1) 2:00 you see ZM walking up to, kissing, biting and then dumping a super-bewildered ZWJ in rapid-fire succession (perhaps 5 seconds in all)! Fun!
    2) 2:07 onward: Wedding here proceeds quickly as well, not as much conversation, lots of decision action by ZM- '78 had, I believe, less episodes than any of the subsequent versions, so they made the story very succinct!
    3) 3:30 ZWJ and ZM playing
    4) 3:48 ZWJ comes to ZZR's room in Shaolin to save Qingshu (very beautiful ZZR in this scene!)
    5) 4:02 ZM explains to a clueless ZWJ that the more he tries to save Qingshu, the more sad ZZR is going to be!

I've always thought Angie Chiu a beauty of her time- in fact, I find her much prettier than Liza Wang. Somehow, I dont find Liza a very good-looking ZM which is weird because I thought she was a very beautiful Huo Qingtong. Adam is looking good at what he does best- heroic roles.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Talking

I thought that Angie Chiu was prettier than Liza too. Liza was too masculine, maybe bad hairstyle and outfits. She doesn't look feminine at all in female outfits, really weird in male disguise too. But, at least she was still better looking than Cecilia ZM, yikes

Thank you for a bunch of clips guys, I'll watch it tonight

It's funny how the version we first watch somehow sticks with us. Like someone mentioned only being able to see the Emperor from HZGG 1&2 when watching Zhang Tie Lin as Yang Xiao in the 2003 version, I had the same problem.

For me, I first saw Tony Leung (and loved him) in Handsome Siblings, and then Lu Ding Ji. To go from those two relatively "comic" roles to the seriousness of Zhang Wuji was such a shock for me I never got into it (and Kitty Lai was Tie Xin Lan in Handsome Siblings too, fairly different from ZM).

Additionally, the first version of HSDS I saw was a very little seen version - http://taykis.tripod.com/hsds_versions.html - the 2nd one on this list, so that set my "impression" of the series.

I like GYY a lot, because she changed my opinion of ZZR from watching my first version and the 1986 Tony version - it takes a lot of change our first impressions, so that made a deep impression on me. We'll see how Liu Jing ends up in the latest version

Quote Originally Posted by Ji Xiang View Post

Additionally, the first version of HSDS I saw was a very little seen version - http://taykis.tripod.com/hsds_versions.html - the 2nd one on this list, so that set my "impression" of the series.
    I'm impressed, you might be the first person I've 'spoken' to who has seen that version- do you have any pictures or clips to share? I'd like to know a little bit about this rare version and improve my understanding of the adaptations as a whole!

It's funny how the version we first watch somehow sticks with us. Like someone mentioned only being able to see the Emperor from HZGG 1&2 when watching Zhang Tie Lin as Yang Xiao in the 2003 version, I had the same problem.
    I couldn't control my laughter whenever I saw ZTL onscreen as YX. He's a total miscast imo. I dont think i'll change my mind even if i hadn't seen/heard of him before I saw him as YX. He just doesn't look "right", and not just by a bit.

The Taiwanese 1984 version is rarely heard of, i didnt even knew it existed till recently and im surprised that ZWJ is played by Liu De Kai. I wonder how did he fair as the character?

BTW, theres another 1978 HK adaptation. No idea who the actors for ZM and ZWJ are but ZZR is played by Candice Yu.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/sunnysnow/ae1ab051713be908367abe50.jpg')

I like GYY a lot, because she changed my opinion of ZZR from watching my first version and the 1986 Tony version - it takes a lot of change our first impressions, so that made a deep impression on me. We'll see how Liu Jing ends up in the latest version
    GYY was a very beautiful ZZR, the most beautiful of all adaptations imo eventhough I have to admit her acting was still rather raw back then. I think the fact she managed to make me "feel" for ZZR (even more so than for ZM) has alot to do with the script. Somehow, the 2003 version made ZZR alot more pitiful (some may call it weak), cooler and more dignified instead of her totally breaking down and losing it all in the end. GYY also had this demure and sophisticated aura about her which made her ZZR seem really classy. And like what many have pointed out, her ZZR seemed less "evil" than the previous adaptations.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 12-05-08 at 12:31 PM.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

BTW, theres another 1978 HK adaptation. No idea who the actors for ZM and ZWJ are but ZZR is played by Candice Yu.
    Hi Sunny, I think that 1978 adaptation you're talking about is actually a 2 part movie- here's the imbd for the 2nd part:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077665/combined

I know I've read a review by some Polish (?) fellow of the two movies before, but I can't seem to find it again- will post it here if I do!

According to all I've read, this version, tried to cram so much in it was a bit of a merry mess, with characters appearing and disappearing without too much explaination! I admit it would be fun to get to see this one since we know the story and it probably would be clearer to us!

BTW, apparently there have been quite a few movie adapations in the 1970's and 1980's... one of them e.g., focusing on Xie Xun's story instead of ZCS and ZWJ (I think it was called Jin Mao Shi Wang, or Golden Haired Lion King).

I couldn't control my laughter whenever I saw ZTL onscreen as YX.
    Me neither! Specially when they were doing scenes of his love story with Ji Xiao Fu.... he's such a ... santa-claus like figure- jolly, rolly-polly, imposing figure! I can imagine him as father, brother, subordinate, leader, emperor... lots of different roles, but debonair lover? That was a tough one!

Watching Alec as the older ZCS (complete with fake beard) was quite a demanding a leap of faith as well....

I'm impressed, you might be the first person I've 'spoken' to who has seen that version- do you have any pictures or clips to share? I'd like to know a little bit about this rare version and improve my understanding of the adaptations as a whole!
    Heh, sadly, no clips or pictures :-/ It was on VHS - I might try to ask my parents if they have their old copies left when I'm home for Christmas. I only have vague memories of it - I think I was less than 10 when I watched it?

Let's see, what do I remember:
    - I thought Liu De Kai was a fairly good ZWJ (again, first adaptation and all that!). Very handsome, masculine - tall. Going from him to the more petite (looking, at least) Tony and Alec was definitely a transition.
    -ZM gave me the impression of being very tall too- I barely remember her as a girl, just her "male" outfits - hair tied back, simple outfits
    -I don't remember ZZR at all, except that I didn't like her character :-/ Hence the GYY thing totally took me by surprise. I agree with sunny that the script did make her a lot more "relatable", but I think GYY did the script justice too (plus, I agree - she's just so pretty!).
    -Oddly, the part I remember most was Zhu'Er - the one scene I remember is when ZWJ is telling her that he promised he'd marry her and didn't care about what she looked like and such
    -YSS I didn't remember as being too pretty - she had a very round face. I remember her with ZCS didn't look that good :-/
    -I totally forgot about XZ as a character :-/
    -The other thing is the "voiceovers". One of those typical broadcast voices they use in China a lot. The most notable scene was when Mie Jue was doing the "3 strikes" against ZWJ and with the 3rd strike, the voice over explained why it failed and all that.
    -I had a deep impression of the Yellow-Dressed girl, because I remember being disappointed by that scene in HSDS 2003.

The only image I've found online is this one: http://service.photo.sina.com.cn/sho...90887fa234f493

Note that according to my recollections, the girl in the hat is Zhu'er (to hide her face), but I could be wrong :-/

Hope that helps!

Heh, sadly, no clips or pictures :-/ It was on VHS - I might try to ask my parents if they have their old copies left when I'm home for Christmas. I only have vague memories of it - I think I was less than 10 when I watched it?

- I thought Liu De Kai was a fairly good ZWJ (again, first adaptation and all that!). Very handsome, masculine - tall. Going from him to the more petite (looking, at least) Tony and Alec was definitely a transition.
    -ZM gave me the impression of being very tall too- I barely remember her as a girl, just her "male" outfits - hair tied back, simple outfits
    -I don't remember ZZR at all, except that I didn't like her character :-/ Hence the GYY thing totally took me by surprise. I agree with sunny that the script did make her a lot more "relatable", but I think GYY did the script justice too (plus, I agree - she's just so pretty!).
    -Oddly, the part I remember most was Zhu'Er - the one scene I remember is when ZWJ is telling her that he promised he'd marry her and didn't care about what she looked like and such
    -YSS I didn't remember as being too pretty - she had a very round face. I remember her with ZCS didn't look that good :-/
    -The other thing is the "voiceovers". One of those typical broadcast voices they use in China a lot. The most notable scene was when Mie Jue was doing the "3 strikes" against ZWJ and with the 3rd strike, the voice over explained why it failed and all that.
    -I had a deep impression of the Yellow-Dressed girl, because I remember being disappointed by that scene in HSDS 2003.

The only image I've found online is this one: http://service.photo.sina.com.cn/sho...90887fa234f493

Note that according to my recollections, the girl in the hat is Zhu'er (to hide her face), but I could be wrong :-/

Hope that helps!
    Thanks Ji Xiang ... it does help!

I was laughing when you said "tall" and "masculine" about ZWJ... in my mind I (and in most adaptations) he's always been petite and almost delicate... a hapless accidental hero!

Yes, actually at least one other version of HSDS had a voiceover at the mei jue shi tai hitting ZWJ part... don't recall which!

Interesting that Zhu-er should be prominent since she isn't so in the other adaptations, though we'll see for the 2009/2010 version since the role has gotten some media attention!

Hmm... a tall ZM, I could dig that... though I would say that my stereotype about Mongolians does not include great height!

Thanks again for the summary! And if you do get a hold of those VHS's, I see you live in Indiana, I'm currently in Illinois, so maybe I can come down and borrow it from you for a few days! (If I feel crazy enough one of these weeks!)

Hi Sunny, I think that 1978 adaptation you're talking about is actually a 2 part movie- here's the imbd for the 2nd part:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077665/combined

I know I've read a review by some Polish (?) fellow of the two movies before, but I can't seem to find it again- will post it here if I do!

According to all I've read, this version, tried to cram so much in it was a bit of a merry mess, with characters appearing and disappearing without too much explaination! I admit it would be fun to get to see this one since we know the story and it probably would be clearer to us!

BTW, apparently there have been quite a few movie adapations in the 1970's and 1980's... one of them e.g., focusing on Xie Xun's story instead of ZCS and ZWJ (I think it was called Jin Mao Shi Wang, or Golden Haired Lion King).
    I think I have Part 1 of the '78 version on DVD. I haven't watched all of it, but I remember putting in the disc to check it out and realizing that they'd crammed something like the first 10 chapters of the book into the first three minutes of the movie!
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Talking

I've laughed so hard reading the review from this link : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077665/combined

Thank you for the good laugh, Ji Xiang

Iitty Lai was Tie Xin Lan in Handsome Siblings too, fairly different from ZM).

Hope that helps!

WHat is funny is that I WATCHED that one TOO! I have it on VHS.

HEre are some things I would like to point out:
    1) It was long and draggy
    2) ZCS and YSS had a depiction of sex when they were on the island.. DAYAM!
    3)ZZR dies at the end.!!! WTH!
    4) ZZR was not as pretty
    5) ZM was actually pretty decent. She always dressed in male. I think the only time was when shewas at the Liu Manor
    6) The scene with ZWJ saying goodbye to XZ.. the camera was spinning back and forth with their eyes and lips.

and yes, i declared that we had hijacked this thread :
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Oh wow, Sugar, you too? Thanks for sharing your thoughts- I can't believe so many people have actually seen that version!

So it sounds like, overall, neither of you are impressed by the series since I didn't hear anything about the character development or chemistry? ( It being the TV serial of HSDS I haven't seen, makes me really curious about it! )

Ah, sniffles, you've seen the 2 '78 movies? What did you think?

I guess prior version discussions are a wonderful filler as we await more picts and news from the kind people at Wudang!

Quote Originally Posted by navicappjr View Post
    about yang xiao.......in 2003 version i only see yang xiao as the qianlong emperor in hzgg 1,2 no offence
    haha same here! that was all i was thinking, especially later when he gets the mustache
    isnt yang xiao supposed to be all suave and everything? im sorry, but when i think zhang tie lin, i dont think suave. lol. and he and xiao tao hong (the girl who played ji xiao fu) didnt have any chemistry. their kissing scene was kinda disturbing...dont they have like, a huge age difference?

Ok.. since we are on the topic of reminiscing.... do you guys remember that awkward and ridiculous scene in HSDS 2003 when ZWJ and ZM and all the rest of the cast were on the island in search of the HSDS, there was a scene in which ZWJ was with all 4 girls in the cave.. and I cannot remember why, but each girls took turn running out of the cave in their own jealousy and ZWJ (portrayed by Alec Su) had to run after each of them in order to get them to calm down. I thought that was one of the most ridiculous scenes in HSDS03.

Also, I can't remember if this is in the novel, but in the beginning of HSDS 03, ZWJ's mom comes flying out in order to capture the HSDS on this gigantic and very fake looking kite! Then she gets blown off by this stupid animated tornado/twister. I remembered laughing so hard because the animated features were so ridiculous!
    My Loves...
    : LEE MIN HO
    HUANG XIAO MING
    YAN KUAN
    TAKESHI KANESHIRO
    BOYS OVER FLOWERS!
    SS501!

Quote Originally Posted by ChineseChik525 View Post
    haha same here! that was all i was thinking, especially later when he gets the mustache
    isnt yang xiao supposed to be all suave and everything? im sorry, but when i think zhang tie lin, i dont think suave. lol. and he and xiao tao hong (the girl who played ji xiao fu) didnt have any chemistry. their kissing scene was kinda disturbing...dont they have like, a huge age difference?

I totally agree. I loved Eddie Chueng's portrayal of this character in HSDS 2000 because he fit the image of the suave yang xiao. The whole time in HSDS 2003 I kept blinking whenever the new yang xiao came on because I felt like he was in the wrong era, the wrong serie and definately the wrong character. I was waiting for Vicki Zhao to come out and say we got Punked or something.
    My Loves...
    : LEE MIN HO
    HUANG XIAO MING
    YAN KUAN
    TAKESHI KANESHIRO
    BOYS OVER FLOWERS!
    SS501!

Oh all the old versions of HSDS, such nostalgia. I tried to find the Liu De Kai version to compare to the rest but couldn't find it. Here's a link for some videos I found a while back when I was trying to compare the dif versions of HSDS. http://www.youku.com/playlist_show/id_1553853.html

It's a comparison of the same scene from each version shown one right after another. It's interesting to see the same lines said, yet giving such a different effect in each one. After watching these videos I still definitely like 86' better- Tony Leung just gave off such innocence that none of the others conveyed. Adam Cheng as ZWJ just seemed confused... I loved the wedding scene where the ZM tells him to come with her and he's like now... and she's like yes now. It made me laugh so hard.

I liked the 86, 00, and 03 versions of HSDS for dif reasons. Tony Leung and Kitty Lai portrayed a sweet young love. Gigi Lai was cool and Lawrence worked well with her, even though he was a bit too old to play ZWJ I don't think he did so bad. Alec Su and Alyssa Chia had probably the most sweet/romantic scenes I thought- I do like that scene where he hugs her from behind.

This person does a song comparison too, it's a really long video though, but I was surprised by how many songs the 86' had considering it didn't even have a different ending theme.

Now I just need to wait for the Deng Chao and Ady An version to come out so that I can watch it and compare to these. HSDS is like a hobby for me.