Page 8 of 87 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858 ... LastLast

Thread: Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber-2008

Quote Originally Posted by bruzlee
    Since producer Zhang Jizhong version of LOCH and the ROCH were generally of good quality and well-received (despite some editing problems), I wonder if he will complete the condor trilogy and make HSDS as well?
    I'll definitely buy & watch Zhang Jizhong's HSDS. I can foresee a time when China sadly goes the way of the West and these 40+ episode wuxia TV series become financially unviable, so we should enjoy them while we can. I thought ROCH06 was a disappointment, but I like to think that this was ultimately caused by bad production management (itself prompted by increasing commercial pressures), which is a business thing. Artistically, ZJZ has nothing to prove to me. I have a feeling that the reception given to LOCH03 (and, I hear, XAJH) convinced him that he shouldn't bother to waste too much effort on the mainstream/pop audience, so he's only trying to give people what he thinks they deserve.

Regarding HSDS, commercial considerations don't make it an easy novel to adapt. This is a 40-chapter book in which the main character isn't born until chapter 7 (and doesn't appear as an adult until chapter 16); as for his two main love interests, one makes her first appearance in chapter 23, and the other is mostly a bit-part character until chapter 31. It's the most cleverly-written book in the Trilogy but almost the entire first half of it is pretty unmemorable, plot-wise. ZJZ & co. are going to have to do some serious script-doctoring - not just to minimise the less interesting bits, but also to introduce Wuji and the girls (and to expand the roles of the latter) as early as possible, in order to justify the expense of hiring well-known acting talent. This is one novel where an absolutely faithful adaptation may not necessarily be a desirable one. Most of the changes to the story in HSDS03 were for these reasons.

As for casting, how about Meng Guangmei (LOCH06's Li Mochou) as dismemberment fetishist Miejue? (Jin Yong actually describes Miejue as being quite beautiful, but with scary eyebrows.)

Quote Originally Posted by owbjhx
    As for casting, how about Meng Guangmei (LOCH06's Li Mochou) as dismemberment fetishist Miejue? (Jin Yong actually describes Miejue as being quite beautiful, but with scary eyebrows.)
    I think Meng Guang Mei comes across as being too young and too soft for Mie Jue. She's got mature beauty, but she wouldn't be my pick for Mie Jue

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    I think Meng Guang Mei comes across as being too young and too soft for Mie Jue. She's got mature beauty, but she wouldn't be my pick for Mie Jue
    I like the feel of Meng Guang Mei in ROCH as li Muo chou just that the series is filmed in such a boring manner! The initial ROCH clips make me expect that Li Muochou though did much bad deeds, was rou qing si shui at heart. It was that scene of her eating the petals in the promo clips that did it for me but the serial itself, I can't feel that side of li Muo Chou at all. so disappointing....

I also feel that she is too young as Mie Jue Shi tai but she has that presence!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    I like the feel of Meng Guang Mei in ROCH as li Muo chou just that the series is filmed in such a boring manner! The initial ROCH clips make me expect that Li Muochou though did much bad deeds, was rou qing si shui at heart. It was that scene of her eating the petals in the promo clips that did it for me but the serial itself, I can't feel that side of li Muo Chou at all. so disappointing....

I also feel that she is too young as Mie Jue Shi tai but she has that presence!
    I guess if you think about it, age shouldn't matter too much with makeup and stuff. But Meng Guang Mei seems a lot 'nicer' than Mie Jue would be... LMC is more of a ZZR type character with the good side and the evil side... and Mie Jue, well, Guo Xiang chose the wrong descendents i think

Default Miejue Meimei

Miejue is about 45 when she first appears in HSDS, which isn't really that old; and on film, her age in absolute terms surely isn't that important, as long as she looks relatively older than everyone else in E'Mei. I think Meng Guangmei is old enough. She also has the height and presence to stand alongside the leaders of HSDS's other 'mainstream schools of renown' (ming men zheng pai). In HSDS03, they had to do lots of close-up shots to make their Miejue look big, even if she was opposite Mini-Alec.

One of HSDS03's 'angles' was the highly sympathetic portrayal of Zhou Zhiruo. Since that's already been done, perhaps Zhang Jizhong could try going for a likeable Miejue. Maybe he should replace all that dull Zhang Cuishan stuff with subplots about Miejue's carefree teenage years as 'Little Little Eastern Heretic', her secret unrequited lurve for Zhang Sanfeng, and her tendency to collect and look after small fluffy animals.

Quote Originally Posted by owbjhx
    Miejue is about 45 when she first appears in HSDS, which isn't really that old; and on film, her age in absolute terms surely isn't that important, as long as she looks relatively older than everyone else in E'Mei. I think Meng Guangmei is old enough. She also has the height and presence to stand alongside the leaders of HSDS's other 'mainstream schools of renown' (ming men zheng pai). In HSDS03, they had to do lots of close-up shots to make their Miejue look big, even if she was opposite Mini-Alec.

One of HSDS03's 'angles' was the highly sympathetic portrayal of Zhou Zhiruo. Since that's already been done, perhaps Zhang Jizhong could try going for a likeable Miejue. Maybe he should replace all that dull Zhang Cuishan stuff with subplots about Miejue's carefree teenage years as 'Little Little Eastern Heretic', her secret unrequited lurve for Zhang Sanfeng, and her tendency to collect and look after small fluffy animals.
    Was Miejue ever in love with zhang San Feng??

Was Miejue ever in love with zhang San Feng??
    No... Z3F loved GX... GX was E Mei's founder.

Z3F's Taoist and E-Mei's Buddhist. Like that sure cannot one lah
    Oh and GX seemed to have carried a life-long secret love for YG enough to never marry and choose to be a nun.

Quote Originally Posted by 0-0-0
    No... Z3F loved GX... GX was E Mei's founder.

Funny, it just occur to me this analogy, Emei Sect was so dogmatic to the point that it can't tell good people from bad people, like how they label Zhang Sanfeng as part of an evil cult when it was plain he was a good decent guy. Just like so many people and countries who stick to their obsolete and rigid ideologies and point of view when they are plain wrong for everyone to see. Hopefully, whoever becomes the future director and producer won't be bound so rigidly to past adaptations of HSDS but instead adapt it so that it can bring the true spirit of the novel onto the screen, which is the most crucial element of any adaptions.

When I saw 7 swords, I saw that Qiao Zhen Yu had a certain quality to what I think Zhang Wu ji should have, that's why I would root for him when they do the casting for this show next year.

When I saw 7 swords, I saw that Qiao Zhen Yu had a certain quality to what I think Zhang Wu ji should have, that's why I would root for him when they do the casting for this show next year.
    you have a pictures of the guy? i'm not good with names. especially guys...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by crazylife123
    you have a pictures of the guy? i'm not good with names. especially guys...LOL
    Crazy, i am uanble to paste pictures..can you go to his thread below for a look instead?

http://spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.p...&page=19&pp=20

or the 7 swords thread

http://spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.p...9&page=4&pp=20
    Last edited by strawberry; 06-25-06 at 11:18 AM.

Crazy, i am uanble to paste pictures..can you go to his thread below for a look instead?

http://spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.p...&page=19&pp=20

or the 7 swords thread

http://spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.p...9&page=4&pp=20
    i see. he could be a zwj. not sure zjz will hire him though.

I've only seen Qiao Zhen Yu in "Xin Zui Da Jin Zhi" (the comedy with Nick Cheung and Chae Rim) and i do agree that he'll make a pretty good ZWJ. He has the looks and that tint of blurness and righteouness about him
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow
    I've only seen Qiao Zhen Yu in "Xin Zui Da Jin Zhi" (the comedy with Nick Cheung and Chae Rim) and i do agree that he'll make a pretty good ZWJ. He has the looks and that tint of blurness and righteouness about him
    any idea if he's taller than alec su? if he's the same height as alec...and if ym and lyf take the lead...he'll be shorter than them. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by crazylife123
    any idea if he's taller than alec su? if he's the same height as alec...and if ym and lyf take the lead...he'll be shorter than them. LOL
    He doesn't seem very tall onscreen. And he has a rather skinny built.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

He can always stand on a stool most of the time as Alec-the-shorty did.

hmm....then i dont want him. dont want another alec su. short and skinny.

i dont really like the way qiao zhen yu looks.

Qiao Zhen yu is 1.82 m tall so he's not short, in fact, he's 2 cm taller than HXM but he is a little too skinny.as long as he trains up to be more toned and gain some weight, he will do fine. In 7 swords, he looks nice just the right size but in xin Zui Da Jin Zhi, he looks too skinny...maybe the kind of clothes he wears matters too.