Page 22 of 87 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272 ... LastLast

Thread: Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber-2008

To tell the truth, I really disagree with ZJZ's personal views on the cast. Thank goodness HXM turned him down or I think many will get fed-up if he appears as male lead for the third time. And I honestly dont find HXM suitable as ZWJ at all; he's good in sleek, cunning and intelligent roles but I think he lacks that subtle earnestness and simplicity ZWJ possesses. Seeing how ZJZ seems interested in the Taiwan/HK side, I hope he finds someone good and not some pop-idolish star who looks good but cannot act.

Actress wise, I'm rather disappointed that ZJZ thinks Ady is more suitable as Xiao Zhao. If anything, I think Ady suits Xiao Zhao (out of the 4 females) the least and frankly, the character is only a supporting one (as opposed to a leading one he promised her). I wonder whether Ady will still accept his invitation if he casts her as Xiao Zhao. And Zhao Min as someone like Dong Fang Bu Bai?? Yes, Zhao Min is intelligent, strong-willed and cunning but she's young, cheeky and rather cute as well. There needs to be a fine balance between strength and femininity for the character. I wouldnt want a ZM who's too masculine/strong for she does have her soft and playful sides as well. I dont know why but i have a feeling that ZJZ is planning to cast Hu Jing as ZM (or ZZR) since he did invite her to star in this series as well.

I wonder whether he'll use any new faces for the meaty roles but I guess not since he did mention that he has to use known names or the sponsors wont be happy.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 05-28-08 at 08:53 AM.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Director/producer Zhang Jizhong has recently made a trip to Mt Wudang and announced that filming for Heavenly Sword Dragon Sabre will most likely commence in September this year. This will be his 7th and final Jinyong adaptation. The script is still in works at the moment and the cast has not been finalized yet.

With regards to the protagonist Zhang Wuji, Zhang Jizhong mentions that the character is the one most difficult to find an actor for though he thinks the most suitable candidate for the character is actor Huang Xiaoming. But Zhang hints that he is unable to get the actor to star in the role for Huang is now famous and hence, concentrating mostly on movies.

Nonetheless, Zhang added that he has a good impression on a couple of young Taiwanese actors and says that he will also be considering actors from Hongkong and Taiwan.

With regards to the female lead Zhao Min, Zhang Jizhong had earlier gave actress Ady An a set of the novels and invited her to star in the series, promising her an important role. Ady has expressed a liking for Zhao Min though Zhang says he thinks she is more of a sweet and gentle beauty and not "tough" enough for a character like Zhao Min; instead, he thinks she's more suitable as Xiao Zhao. Ideally, he wants a Zhao Min who is able to emit the strength and handsomeness like Brigitte Lin's classic performance as Dong Fang Bu Bai in Hongkong movie, "Swordsman II/III".

As for his habit of guest-starring in his own series, Zhang reveals that he will play the role of Prince Ruyang, Zhao Min's father.
    Not Huang Xiao Ming again! He may be eyecandy but he overacts too much for my tastes. There are 'fleeting' moments of depth to his acting, but if I wanted to watch his kind, I'd rather Ma Jing Tao. Futher, HXM has this cheeky/wicked glint to his eyes that wouldn't convince me as the innocent, sickenly noble ZWJ.

I like that Zhang wants an actress of "strength and handsomeness" to play ZM. Jia Jing Wen has such an ability (note her Ye Shuang Yi in Swordsman III) but unfortunately, ZM was portrayed as some "young pop" ZM (roses on hands, pink with white pompoms...shivers)...totally disrespecting the novel character IMO. ZM is one of my most favourite JY characters, notably for her intelligence, courage, tenacity, machiavellian mind tempered eeringly by a romantic heart...I thought the only actress who was able to capture this was Ye Tong. True she definitely didn't look the part, but her charisma compensated for everything. She literally breathed the part when she was onscreen. Zhang would do well to find either a Eurasian (likelihood of Chinese beauty balanced with just enough exotic to fit the "Mongolian princess who looked like a Han beauty" criteria)...specifically with slightly prominent cheekbones (Mongolian trait) yet heart-shaped face (ideal Han facial shape).

Look forward to Zhang's performance...I think he was funny as Yelu Qi's father in ROCH. He looks Mongolian to me too...

Angry

Ughhh, I'm going 2 be so upset if Ady is not cast as ZM, and I got my hope up for nothing

Tie^?u Sie^u is just a minor character, please don't let Hu Jing to be ZM .

Agree with you, please don't let Hu Jing be ZM or ZZR, she is not suitable for these role. Maybe she could play Xiao Zhao's mum. It 'll be interesting

HXM is totally inappropriate as ZWJ! Out of all of JY's heroes, ZWJ is probably one of the nicest and HXM is the type to play bratty, arrogant roles. I remember disliking him intensely as Xiao Jian in HZGG3 even though the character was supposed to be very noble and cultured. His recent role as Wei Xiao Bao was very well played but I think that's because it's the type of role that HXM excels in.

Personally, I would love it if Wallace Chung could play ZWJ. As for Zhao Min, I thought Ady would be perfect for the role because she played a similar character in Chinese Paladin. It's weird that Zhang Jizhong thinks of Ady as a sweet and gentle beauty whereas I've always thought of her as the more outgoing, playful and robust (in a non-fat way) type of beauty (more Bao Chai and less Lin Daiyu). So all in all, ZJZ should let someone else do the casting because his judgment is pretty bad, IMO.

I'm not familiar with most of the actors mentioned here. But sometimes I like to see actors play something "against type" to see how they do. Often actors get typecast in certain roles and it's nice to see them stretch their acting skills. Sometimes it doesn't work, when it turns out that the actor isn't very flexible. But sometimes it can end up being very good for both the production and the actor's career.

Anyway, I just hope I'll get to see a version of this with English subtitles. I really dream of a time when most Chinese tv productions are available on DVD with English subs, so I won't have to rely on torrents or newsgroups and risk being accused of criminal activity just to get to watch an overseas tv programme.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

ZWJ...according to the novel was tall and thin. . .I believe. . .As long as LYF is not in this series, it will be good! BELIEVE IT!

My first choice to play ZWJ would have been Hu Ge, but he just recently starred in LOCH. I think Huang Xiao Ming would have been pretty good, but I don't want to see him again after ROCH and DOMD. Bobby Duo would be a good choice, but I think he's too short for the part. Chen Long's face is too round and I don't like that when he acts, especially the challenging parts, he turns away or has his back to the camera. I wonder about Yuan Hong. . .

Choices. . .
    Last edited by resident:alien; 05-29-08 at 11:08 AM.
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    Nonetheless, Zhang added that he has a good impression on a couple of young Taiwanese actors and says that he will also be considering actors from Hongkong and Taiwan.
    Great! Hopefully Bobby Dou is on the ZWJ candidates list Thanks alot for translating that article, sunnysnow! Had been waiting for an update news of this project.

I'm more concern of who's gonna be Zhang Cuishan and Yin Susu... these two are very important characters too, and I don't want them to be played by the same actor and actress as ZWJ and ZM (like in some other adaptations -_-). So far, Simon Yam is the most perfect ZCS, to me... hoping someone on par with him.

And I'm reeeaaally wishing Yu Min is not in this HSDS project! not as director or anything. I just realized why Xiao Ao Jiang Hu and Bi Xue Jian are my ultimate faves among ZJZ's productions. That's because Yu Min wasn't involved at all in those two

I guess... I can only watch this in english-subs by the end of 2010, or early 2011. Such a long way to go.....

Quote Originally Posted by loislane View Post
    Great! Hopefully Bobby Dou is on the ZWJ candidates list Thanks alot for translating that article, sunnysnow! Had been waiting for an update news of this project.

I'm more concern of who's gonna be Zhang Cuishan and Yin Susu... these two are very important characters too, and I don't want them to be played by the same actor and actress as ZWJ and ZM (like in some other adaptations -_-). So far, Simon Yam is the most perfect ZCS, to me... hoping someone on par with him.

And I'm reeeaaally wishing Yu Min is not in this HSDS project! not as director or anything. I just realized why Xiao Ao Jiang Hu and Bi Xue Jian are my ultimate faves among ZJZ's productions. That's because Yu Min wasn't involved at all in those two

I guess... I can only watch this in english-subs by the end of 2010, or early 2011. Such a long way to go.....
    Yes, I seriously seriously hope Yu Min is not directing HSDS or he'll be sure to mess up a thing or two. I dunno whether he directed LOCH'03 because I loved that adaptation. Anyhow, I hope ZJZ'll be able to get seasoned actors to guest-star as ZCS and YSS too. As for Bobby, I thought he did a great job in BXJ and wouldnt mind seeing him as ZWJ in here again. He does fit the role quite well imo!

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    Yes, I seriously seriously hope Yu Min is not directing HSDS or he'll be sure to mess up a thing or two. I dunno whether he directed LOCH'03 because I loved that adaptation. Anyhow, I hope ZJZ'll be able to get seasoned actors to guest-star as ZCS and YSS too. As for Bobby, I thought he did a great job in BXJ and wouldnt mind seeing him as ZWJ in here again. He does fit the role quite well imo!
    Yes, Yu Min was the director of LoCH03. I loved LoCH03 too, it's the better one compared to the others directed by Yu Min. But it didn't really live up to my expectation in terms of plot, fights and FX. But it has the best musics compared to other ZJZ series, I hope HSDS will have the same original music composer (rather than stealing Hollywood movies' BGMs -_-).

HXM, Bobby or Hu GE... THAT FINE WITH ME. they all looks fine.

About ZM is more important matter.... if ady fail become ZM then Hu Jing must not become ZM....
    in Love With :
    Ady An, Han Xue, Li Bing Bing, Zhang Ting, Yang Mi
    Currently Watching "Chinese Paladin 3"

No ZJZ! I was really hoping Ady could play as ZM! Hu Jing does not have that Brigitte Lin aura!

As for ZWJ, I agree with Yuan Hong playing the part. He fit the role and he can make ZWJ look very suave. And Ady and Yuan Hong as a pair, that's a killer!

As for Bobby Dou, I like him too. Except I rather see a new face in this series instead of reusing ZJZ's collection of actors and actresses.
    Last edited by vivi_g; 05-30-08 at 02:59 AM.

The guy that played Pan Bao in the latest version of SNYJJ would make an excellent Song Qingshu.
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

Quote Originally Posted by resident:alien View Post
    The guy that played Pan Bao in the latest version of SNYJJ would make an excellent Song Qingshu.
    but he looks so fine.................. noooooooooooooooooo!!

I don't agree with ZJZ here.. Ady can be spunky and I find her fine for ZM
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    but he looks so fine.................. noooooooooooooooooo!!

I don't agree with ZJZ here.. Ady can be spunky and I find her fine for ZM
    She doesn't fit ZM. Yes, ZM is cute, spunky, charming, but she is also dangerous and ruthless. I see a teenage girl that can make powerful fighters respect and obey her every order. I don't see it from this girl.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by douggilmour View Post
    She doesn't fit ZM. Yes, ZM is cute, spunky, charming, but she is also dangerous and ruthless. I see a teenage girl that can make powerful fighters respect and obey her every order. I don't see it from this girl.

Just my 2 cents.
    Apparently, did you see Ady in OUtsiders 1? THe part where she turned into gangster?
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Apparently, did you see Ady in OUtsiders 1? THe part where she turned into gangster?
    no $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/images/mecry.gif')

Quote Originally Posted by douggilmour View Post

Just my 2 cents.
    Actually, Ady's quite a versatile actress- she's convincing in both silly and sad roles which requires lots of helplessness and tears. She may be overly "cute and silly" in some of her series but I've seen some works which she's capable of playing out the ruthless, commanding and cunning nature in her character(s) as well.

Sure, she could play Xiao Zhao, but I think it would be a waste of her capabilities and I really want to see her in a good and complex role for once because most of her recent roles haven't been that fantastic. Anyhow, as much as she can take on pretty and demure roles, she still lacks that "quiet obedience" (guai qiao in mandarin) quality which i think someone like Yang Mi naturally has. Like what many have mentioned, Ady is more of a spunky character. Come to think of it, He Zhuoyan (who played Shuang'er in the new DOMD) would be an excellent choice for Xiao Zhao. Just that she lacks the exotic beauty XZ supposedly has.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 05-31-08 at 12:42 AM.

Wise Fool

Unhappy

I'm going 2 cry for a long time if Ady is not getting the ZM part, shame on that producer ZJZ, he offered her the novel and said she will get an important role, and now he changed his mind .

After watching all of the pictures from the Book & Sword '08, I think Nikki Chow would be a nice choice for ZM??? But I'm rooting for Ady all the way, maybe he might ask Hu Jing (I think she's too old) or maybe, LYF to be ZM, ahahahaha

If he wants ZM to have some manly aura or something, how about Michelle Ye ? She was so good looking as a guy in Thie^n Ha. De^. Nha^'t Kie^'m
    Last edited by TiffTiff; 05-31-08 at 02:56 PM.

I live out of a suitcase, but the heart is at home on the lake.

I concur with Sunnysnow. Seriously, XZ would be the last role that I'd imagine Ady be in. I sincerely hope that ZJZ will not cast HJ as one of my favorite characters, ZM. She simply looks way too old and mature for the role.