Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dear Life

Dear Life

Since my last post effectively ended this thread, I now declare myself as a 'Thread Ender'. After all, many of the fanfic threads here ended after I posted something. Best example? The modern round robin. Ho ho ho.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Dear Life,

Just a casual smile would explain my thoughts on life right now.
    “我停在原处也许就是为了让大家在累的时候,有个可以回头休息的地方。”

Nov 5, 2005

Dear Life,

I just digged this up in the depth of the forums at 8 in the morning here in Australia. I'm feeling restless and stressed because it is the third year of uni and my exam period has just started a week ago. I am right now in a difficult position of my life because I don't know if I made the right decisions in life. It seems that it is not moving at all.
    “我停在原处也许就是为了让大家在累的时候,有个可以回头休息的地方。”

Dear Wife,

I love it when good things happen to bad people.

I also love looking back on something I wrote before and being able to cringe terribly about it in a giddily guilty way - though perhaps I can blame it on the copious amounts of illegal substances consumed during my trying to 'outdo' Hunter S. Thompson stage (which kind of culminated in a 'lite' version of Fear and Loathing in Amsterdam).

Ah... the joy!

Well, new year anyway (I'm late for one, but early for another...) - I hope I didn't piss a certian person off too much last year so that she ignores me now (though I was quite annoyed at the time) - err... do you think 'have a happy life' is changeable into 'have a happy new year'?
    my right arm slams shut

Dear Twisted Pretzel in the UK,

Often as I look back in the past, I wonder how and why we had cross paths and had become aquaintances and then friends and then aquaintances again. What a world we live in, could two people be friends if they're too different in beliefs? Especially when this bloke acts so weird sometimes, no one can guess whats going on in his mind. Is it important to understand your friend? Perhaps, to this day, he remains a complete mystery to me, by my choice or his choice. Does it matter? Aiyah twisted pretzel, what am I to do with a twisted pretzel no one can understand. At times, I do understand this bloke, other times he's on a whole different level that I don't know where he's coming from when he talks. Its confusing.

信年快了。
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Dear Forum,

Posted this while waiting for my turn at the Swordsmen Survivor game in Wuxia Fiction. Wish I could boot all those idle players...

Edit : I refreshed the page at the rate of 5Hz for the past 30 min. My finger is very numb now.

Date : D-Day + 62 years.
    Last edited by IcyFox; 01-27-06 at 09:52 AM.

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

(EBONICS STYLE)
    Sometimes you have to get the message across
    as best we can. Try this for those who can't
    understand the King James Version:

1. I'm God. Don't play me.
    (I am the Lord thy God, thou shalt not have any
    other gods before me.)

2. Don't be makin no hood ornaments
    and charms outta me, or like me.
    (Thou shalt not have any graven images)

3. Don't be callin' me for no reason
    (Thou shalt not use the name of the
    Lord thy God in vain)

4. Y'all betta be in church on Sunday,
    and not just the Sundays when
    it's Mother's day, Easter
    and Christmas
    (Remember to keep the Sabbath day holy)

5. Don't dis or cuss out yo momma...
    and if you know who ya daddy
    is, don't dis him neither.
    (Honor thy father and thy mother)

6. Don't be goin' on no drive bys.
    (Thou shalt not kill)

7. Stick to ya own Boo.
    (Thou shalt not commit adultery)

8. Don't be borrow'n stuff and
    don't give it back.
    (Thou shalt not steal)

9. Don't be snitchin' on the otha'
    man to save your behind.
    (Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy brother)

10. Don't be eyein' (skeeming) yo
    homie's crib, ride, woman,
    or nuffin.
    (Thou shalt not covet anything that belongs to thy brother).

Dear placidity,

Glad to know certain someone is still the same ole' self. "sigh of relief". Although he's quite an eccentric individual and seem to survive well on his own world.

Question

Dear luftballons,

Strange coincident, I was laying awake one night when I was overwhelmed by a strong impulse to see what the girl with the disembodied voice was up to. After a brief period of searching around the old haunts, I had discovered she had come out of a long hiatus to resume doing what she does best again. I had not visited the place in a long time, but it still looked the same.

So naturally I thought about it a bit more and came to a half conclusion that maybe I had overreacted… a bit…

I wanted to make contact again, but wasn’t quite sure how. I had conjured up all these images and scenarios, situations, looks, darkly voiced emotes, and much more bizarre ideas (one of which was some sort of fancy-pancy past-present-future-objective-subjective fanficymajig) of how to get in touch again.

But in the end I thought that a fictional round-robin in a ‘dear X’ format would be most suitable. I could make up completely new facts and events and hide the real ones in there somehow, who would know the difference? The readers? Myself? Her?

Anyway, whatever.

In the great fiction, the poster – who I have decided to name John/David/Ethan/Angelina Ballerina/Ryan, recounts rather fancily to an audience of invisible readers his desire to get in touch again with someone he had wanted to love. But laughed himself silly at writing such a profane thing.

The follow up reply by the girl (having gasped and winced) was curt and very much to the point and could have been surmised as:

‘John/David/Ethan/Angelina Ballerina/Ryan, I think you’re living in a fantasy world’

I wrote John/David/Ethan/Angelina Ballerina/Ryan in with a clichéd ‘end of post, but maybe it could be to be continued style’ reply:

‘I know, but the fantasy world was fun, I just never got round to telling you’

[come on, play along people]
    my right arm slams shut

Dear Life,
    Last night, I had such a terrifying nightmare that I woke up in a cold sweat. It was worse than being squeezed by an albino boa, much worse than giving a public speech; much worse. For you see, I dreamt that I was in a Chinese wedding banquet among my ancestors.

My First & Last Banquet..ever
    So here I am, sitting among strangers in my mother’s sister-in-law’s third cousin’s wedding banquet.
    My mother says she has a bad hair-do, so she can’t come to the banquet.
    My father says he is on Atkins low- carb diet, so he can’t come to the banquet.
    My older sister declares that banquets are simply evil, and rest her case on scrawny runway models.
    Well, being the youngest in the family, my opinions simply don’t count.

So here I am, dressed in my brand new scratchy dress.
    I smile my most polite at each and every guest who takes a seat at my table.
    To some I am invisible,
    So, they almost sat on me.
    To some I am simply adorable,
    So, they pinched my cheeks.
    To some I am an oddity,
    So, to break the ice, they asked about my mom, my dad, my lineage, my Zodiac sign,
    my grades, but mostly they asked about my dad’s paycheck.
    To welcome me, they shared with me photos of their children, their grandchildren,
    and their great-grand children, and..then, voila, their wedding pictures. Bless their hearts.

So here I am, an ambassador for my clan, and a keeper of our name.
    Remember, don’t disgrace your ancestor family name, my dad commanded.
    Remember, don’t forget your table manners, my mom reiterated.
    Remember, don’t eat like a hog, my older sister snorted.

So here I am, smiling and nodding my head sagely to my inquisitors’ nosy questions.
    And I ooh and aah at their endless parade of photos of cuteness.
    They are duly impressed with my conversational skills.
    They are duly impressed by my maturity.
    In other words, I played cute and mute.
    After all, children are to be seen not heard.
    My family’s honor is safe for another day.

So here I am, listening to small talks.
    A free lesson on social mumble jumble correctness.
    I observe how a woman could drink from her glass without stamping her lips on it.
    I observe how a man could talk non-stop, full of himself.
    I learn how very intricate and tricky small talks could be.
    I learn how very draining donning a phony mask on my face could be.
    I learn how very weary wearing an interested/intelligent combo look could be.
    I learn how very loud a stomach or a burp could be
    I learn how to yawn with my mouth close.
    I learn how time crawls.

So here I am, still waiting for the food to come.
    Silence is loud when Small Talk is tongue-tied.
    Silence is uncomfortable when the chairs are hard.
    Finally, Food is here.
    Everybody stares at it.
    Nobody wants to be The First.
    So, everybody waits and stares.
    Then, Brave Soul First says, ‘Come, let’s all eat’.
    The First has spoken.
    We eat, we chomp, we chew, we crunch and we burp.
    Soon, Small Talk is gone, Food is gone, but Waiting stays.

So here I am, waiting for the night to end.
    Thankful for the food, thankful for my fill.
    Thankful that my family name is still safe with me.
    Thankful that I don’t have to talk to strangers anymore.
    Thankful that I can finally say:
    Goodbye to my First & Last banquet!
    Last edited by grace; 02-02-06 at 06:23 PM. Reason: typos

Dear Life,
    Last night, I had another nightmare. Worse this time than last. I woke up screaming, “Nooooo, I don’t want to be a teenager again, anything but.” It must have been that late night burger, or was it that Dvd movie ‘13 going on 30’ by Jennifer Garner. Whatever. But please, Karma, whatever consequences reaped from my last life, let me not suffer the angst of being a teenager again. Amituofo! Unable to get back to sleep again, I wrote thus:

~~~~IF I WERE KING~~~~~
    I am banished to my bedroom, again.
    I don’t know why?
    But it must be something that I did or didn’t do. I’m sure.
    Something about my bed?
    Something about backtalk?
    Or was it, was it .....?
    But this, I do know,
    I do not like to be without my Spcnet Forum.

Usually, my mother is reasonable, for a grown-up, that is.
    Except when it concerns the condition of my bed in the morning.
    Why do I or anyone, for that matter, have to make the bed in the morning,
    Only to mess it up again at night? Why? Oh, why?
    It is simply illogical, simply ridiculous, simply more work.
    I voiced my opinion to my mother, politely, of course.
    My timeout is doubled for backtalk.
    I rolled my eyes to show my displeasure.
    My timeout is tripled for disrespect.
    I.... finally got the message.
    It’s so unfair. My mother is so unfair.
    The whole world is so unfair,
    especially to ME.

If I were king of my own little kingdom,
    I would be the fairest ruler on earth.
    Those unfair and silly rules of the grown-ups; purged.

Beds do not have to be made, immediately or later.
    Pyjamas can be worn all day long, if preferred.
    TV can be watched anytime, regardless of homework.
    Long hair does not need to be tied up or cut short for school, ever.
    And as for scratchy brand new clothes, out they go; and good riddance too.

Food is for enjoyment, not for nourishment.
    Ice cream and desserts would start off every meal.
    Soup is all right for breakfast; cereal is ok for lunch,
    And KFC is a must for dinner.
    And as for balanced meals, balanced they need not be.

For, I would be an enlightened king.

Democracy would rule in my kingdom,
    For I would be Wu Ze Tian reincarnated.
    My subjects only have to petition me, their king
    And their voices would be heard on all things.
    Such as:
    Issue#1 No homework –aye
    Issue#2 No school exams or pop quizzes - aye
    Issue#3 No household chores including bed making - aye
    Issue#4 No well-meaning teachers – aye
    Issue#5 Personal TV and computer for every one - aye

For, I would be a JUST king.

As king, I would abolish these cruel actions from my kingdom.
    Polite greetings of distant relatives by their confusing titles – GONE.
    “Hi”, “Yo”, “Hello” or “Hey, you” are good enough.

Prying questions by nosy adults on people’s age, school grades and household income. – TERMINATED
    Questions on Kdrama and TVB series are encouraged instead.

Probing by insensitive adults on people’s teeth, on their height, on their weight, on their complexion and on their looks – ELIMINATED
    Children have feelings, too. Anyway, plastic surgeries on actors are much more informative.

Showing off so-called talents in front of strangers – STOPPED
    Children are not performing animals. Anyway, the embarrassing ‘talents’ of favorite actors are much more “funner’ to watch.

For, I would be a compassionate king.

My dream of kingship ended all too abruptly.
    My mother comes a knocking on my bedroom door.
    With a knowing smile, she says, “ So what kind of a king are you?”
    I say huffily, “What do you mean?”
    With knowing eyes, she says, “When I was young....”
    I groan and ... roll my eyes.
    Not that “When I was young...” speech, again.
    She persists, ‘Anyway, I bet you were a much fairer king than I am a mom.”
    I purse my lips, then proclaim haughtily, “ Well, as a king most fair, I would knight thou as the ‘Dame bestest mom in the whole wide world.”

After all, I could be magnanimous-- if I were KING.

dear god,

i've been having racing thoughts which have interfered with my sleep again, and the emptiness i feel upon waking up and falling asleep has gotten much worse.

what really is the meaning of life? what is your will for me? have my choices been correct? then why is it that i'm left with so much disappointment?

as a child, i looked forward to growing up; as a teen, i looked forward to establishing independence and my identity; as an adult, i look back on my past and regret the many mistakes i've made in my life. how i wish the life i'm living now is only a dream. more and more, i've been thinking how nice it would be to wake up and realize that i'm only 20 and to learn from the mistakes i've dreamt about. alas, life is a reality which i can never escape.

---

teach me the virtues of patience, love, kindness, sympathy, forgiveness. guide me as i face the person i dread to face and interact with at work...hold my tongue before i make another hurtful comment. provide me with the confidence to know that the decisions i make will not hurt those around me.
    Last edited by patricia n; 04-24-06 at 02:06 AM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Dear Life

Since my last post effectively ended this thread, I now declare myself as a 'Thread Ender'. After all, many of the fanfic threads here ended after I posted something. Best example? The modern round robin. Ho ho ho.

nah, i'm the "thread ender."
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n
    nah, i'm the "thread ender."
    Dear Life,
    Today I ruined someone wishes. She wished that she would be a "thread ender".
    But I just don't want to fulfill her wish. that's why today I write something here.

Dear Life
    what is clarity what is meaning
    Sometimes do you sit down and calmly think of the people that are around you.. and think are they actually what they are thought out to be. Why are there so many double standarded people out there, be a cool as person one moment and a retard that stabs you in the back the next… why is the world as it is… is it all by chance, or all by some random miracle. What is destiny, can it be fulfilled through time can it really be found. Who is it that can really understand. who is it that can reason. Shall we choose a path of our own choice or be embedded into paths of everyone else that you know.

Are you the master of your destiny, do you feel you possess the strength and willpower to stand up for your opinions. Are you overwhelmed by the pressure of peers around you for that decisions might alter your life. Who is to listen to the media and there bs which only used to make cash..?

There are so many people with kinds of random diverse personalities, how are you expected to be understanding of their random up-bringings and culture… how do you change from jack of all trades, master of none to the master of all trades? How do you even say you can master on thing in life and never falter in that?

Quote Originally Posted by andrea7974
    Dear Life,
    Today I ruined someone wishes. She wished that she would be a "thread ender".
    But I just don't want to fulfill her wish. that's why today I write something here.

lol...too cute...but we'll see...i've noticed that i do have a tendency to end threads with my lack of depth as most of my posts are meaningless...

stife-too many hypocrites surrounding you??? i only need one hypocrite in my life to ruin the mood...anyhow i'm bouncing back to the rpg fic to update...

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n
    lol...too cute...but we'll see...i've noticed that i do have a tendency to end threads with my lack of depth as most of my posts are meaningless...

stife-too many hypocrites surrounding you??? i only need one hypocrite in my life to ruin the mood...anyhow i'm bouncing back to the rpg fic to update...
    yes I see hypocrites everywhere maybe I'm going insane

dear god,

mean people bite! nice people rock. i'm a biter....

Dear life,

Can you ever tell me what is the meaning of life? Day after day, we awaken from our daily slumber and do what we are supposed to do, go to school, work, army etc. Yet everything seems so empty.

In emptiness we experience a whole multitude of feelings, the need to communicate, the need to cry, the need to say "I love you" etc.

Why then is it so hard to express what we truly feel? Is it only through feeling despair, sadness, grief, loneliness, anger and jealously that we can honestly feel what is lacking in our lives?

Why dont people understand what we are going through and what we need?

Why do people always search for listeners instead of letting the listeners come to them?

Why do people try to fit in a group when it is not suitable for them to do so?

Why do people always find faults with each other instead of looking at each other's uniqueness and good points?

Why is life always like that?

dear god,

i try to be thankful for what you have blessed me with; i try not to seek more than i need; i try to make use of the talents you have given me. yet why the emptiness? with what should i fill the void? for what am i waiting?

strangely enough, i am afraid of dying for i don't know if either heaven or hell is the place for me. seems as though my life on earth, the life i know now, is the only life that is right for me.

help me not to ponder on my past. help me to learn from my mistakes and to live life without regrets. help me to let go of the little things and look forward to the future and live for the present instead of dwelling and living in the past.

teach me to be humble, teach me to be kind, teach me to be selfless, and above all, teach me to love all.

Dear Life

we all have feelings
    we are all feeling many feelings at the same time
    these can pull us in different directions
    create conflict, confusion, you lose focus
    become indecisive, do the wrong thing
    feelings which are a product of our past
    the things that we want
    who we are, the way we think
    the situation we are in
    and the feelings of the people around us
    their negativity and our own