Thread: Does being physically fit (buff), gives extra advantage in a wuxia fight?

Default Does being physically fit (buff), gives extra advantage in a wuxia fight?

lets see theres 2 disciple, one is scrawny, and one is buff and they both know the jade sword technique with the same internal energy. if they fight each other, will it be a tie?
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

If the skinnier guy can move faster, then I'd say he has a good chance of winning.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

i always thought skinny guys got the advantage, since most of our hero's are quite scrawny.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

It seems that being naturally big and strong helps quite a bit in internal cultivation. However this thread is asking by assuming equal internal, then it probably goes to the thin and light one.

Even with internal energy, the attributes of being physically strong are still applied. GWM, for example, was said to have the stronger arm against GJ, which offset his better technique.

XF's size also certainly didn't hurt him in his fights. If anything, his stature made it easier to beat up on his opponents.

Most techniques tend to be a combination of external and internal, so there would still be some advantage of being physically strong.

Now, if that strength is at the cost of speed, that's a completely different story. In a fight, strength hurts, but speed kills.

Responding to Lunar: i imagine if their skill levels, mental states, and internal energy is the same, the buffer guy will probably win due to a higher overall power. assuming buff>scrawny in terms of muscle power.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    i always thought skinny guys got the advantage, since most of our hero's are quite scrawny.
    no my dear, it's that most of our asian TV actors are quite scrawny

Quote Originally Posted by flamer
    It seems that being naturally big and strong helps quite a bit in internal cultivation. However this thread is asking by assuming equal internal, then it probably goes to the thin and light one.
    No, I've never seen any cases where being stronger/buffer helps with internal cultivation. However, the overall output of strength (inner+physical) will be greater given a stronger build.

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter
    Now, if that strength is at the cost of speed, that's a completely different story. In a fight, strength hurts, but speed kills.
    I would imagine only if the drag and strength needed to move the body mass outweights the extra physical strength. That is, in XF's case, it would likely not hurt him, but if you got some obese dude with a BMI of 40, then it would hurt.
    Last edited by S Beaver; 10-28-08 at 01:01 PM.
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

Nope, being fit does not make a major difference in a wuxia fight. Skinny veggie eaters and Xiao Feng types are only differentiated by their fighting experience and inner power.
    Good site to find movies:
    http://www.rivercay.org

I suppose not too much since a MRB and XYS are virtually equals and we know that MRB is much more scrawnier than the Khitan warrior.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Quote Originally Posted by S Beaver View Post
    No, I've never seen any cases where being stronger/buffer helps with internal cultivation. However, the overall output of strength (inner+physical) will be greater given a stronger build.
    Really? Think back to Ah Er. Perhaps XF/GWM/Daerba/Shi Brother etc.

Zhang Sanfeng is a hulky bulky man and he is said to be THE UNRIVALED MARTIAL ARTIST IN CHINESE MARTIAL ARTS HISTORY!
    日暮乡关何处是?烟波江上使人愁。

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    Really? Think back to Ah Er. Perhaps XF/GWM/Daerba/Shi Brother etc.
    ?? It said that being buff helped them in internal cultivation?
    Watch out! Dihydrogen Monoxide will kill us all!

Quote Originally Posted by S Beaver View Post
    ?? It said that being buff helped them in internal cultivation?
    这阿二是“金刚门”中的异人,天生神力,由外而内,居然另辟蹊径,练成了一身深
    厚内功,造诣早已远远超过了当年的师祖火工头陀,可说乃是天授。

Being fit and being buff is two different things. Body builder are buff, but a much skinner and less toned professional athlete will have them beat in terms of endurance, agility, strength, etc.

Personally, I imagine most of the Wuxia hero, at least the young ones, have the body of a gymnastic, some will have the body of long distance runner. A couple which has very powerful external skills probably will have the body of a weight lifter. I don't really see anyone with the kind of muscle of Arnold running around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimeron View Post
    Being fit and being buff is two different things. Body builder are buff, but a much skinner and less toned professional athlete will have them beat in terms of endurance, agility, strength, etc.

Personally, I imagine most of the Wuxia hero, at least the young ones, have the body of a gymnastic, some will have the body of long distance runner. A couple which has very powerful external skills probably will have the body of a weight lifter. I don't really see anyone with the kind of muscle of Arnold running around.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.popular-pics.com/PPImages/arnold_schwarzenegger_fat.jpg')

what muscle
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Default Physically Fit

I don't see how being fit would be a disadvantage so I say yes.
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

I would certainly think that being physically fit would be an advantage in martial arts. In fact, I don't see how one could be good at martial arts without being physically fit (book/tv characters with sickly bodies and huge internal energy notwithstanding).

But I don't think martial artists have to be bodybuilders. As Dimeron points out, it's not the same thing. Bodybuilders like Arnie are all about muscle definition and reducing body fat, which don't necessarily have anything to do with strength. If you look at Olympic weightlifters, some of them look rather hefty but not particularly "buff". Other types of athletes are usually toned in the muscle areas that they use most in their particular sport(s), but they don't have overemphasized muscles like a bodybuilder.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

It depend on the skill that people practice. Most schools skill will shape your body to the desired shape that fit the style. Extreme External skill like the 18 Dragon Palms disciplines will most likely developed big muscle like GJ, Hong Gigong, XF. Most swordsmen will not get buff body but light compact bodies that help with speed. It is almost impossible to get two disciplines with one big and one small body if they both study at the same rate and potential. Being buff almost has no meaning in Wuxia because internal energy matters about 90% of the time. Jinlun Fawang in ROCH was a scrawny monk but was able to threw his hugh student with a wave of his hand.

hmm....internal energy is the only important thingunless its Dugu Magic Sword.
    I'm a big D.Wade and Ginobili fan.
    I am so sick of Hu Ge
    I fight with my dog for the role of master and pet daily and he usually wins.