Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thai Food

Smile Thai Food

so, i created this thread to show off my cooking skills!
    fine stop laughing people, i know i don't have any cooking skills.
    but i thought it'd be nice to show you guys what authentic thai cooking is.
    wait, maybe it won't be so authentic... but it's the closest you can get to with the products you get from the asian/american markets.
    i'll try to post something up every week, if you guys have any requests let me know and i'll try to 'cook' it for you.

so here it goes!
    please let me know if you have any concerns or questions.
    gugu is here to help you.
    also please do NOT repost this anywhere else. i made these for you guys to use in your own private homes. if i find any of my posts anywhere i'll get very mad at you! and when gugu gets mad big brother condor gets mad too! and he's gonna come after you!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/baccardixx/kouy-kak1.jpg')
    Last edited by GuGu; 11-01-08 at 03:23 AM.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    so, i created this thread to show off my cooking skills!
    fine stop laughing people, i know i don't have any cooking skills.
    but i thought it'd be nice to show you guys what authentic thai cooking is.
    wait, maybe it won't be so authentic... but it's the closest you can get to with the products you get from the asian/american markets.
    i'll try to post something up every week, if you guys have any requests let me know and i'll try to 'cook' it for you.

so here it goes!
    please let me know if you have any concerns or questions.
    gugu is here to help you.
    also please do NOT repost this anywhere else. i made these for you guys to use in your own private homes. if i find any of my posts anywhere i'll get very mad at you! and when gugu gets mad big brother condor gets mad too! and he's gonna come after you!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/baccardixx/kouy-kak1.jpg')
    Hahaha, GuGu-sensei, in Malaysia we call this "Pisang Goreng" or fried banana. It's abundant in its availability and so common and very easy to get at nearby roadside stall. I'm proud that you introduce them to the SPCies .

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208 View Post
    Hahaha, GuGu-sensei, in Malaysia we call this "Pisang Goreng" or fried banana. It's abundant in its availability and so common and very easy to get at nearby roadside stall. I'm proud that you introduce them to the SPCies .
    aish, i'm so jealous of you! you can just walk out and buy them on the street when i have to spend almost an hour making them.
    i wish i lived in thailand, cause they have them on the street like how you described.

but does it look authentic to you? and the ingredients? i think i remembered everything correctly and the taste is no different from the ones i had in thailand.
    if you see anything different let me know so i can improve it.

omg... i still think of you as a girl.. i'm sorry.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

omg... i still think of you as a girl.. i'm sorry.
    Hahaha, I don't mind really and will not get mad . Yeah the ingredient is authentic. In Malaysia the flour is ready made and can be bought from the Supermarket. Just add water, put the banana in, fried and voila. Or one just go out and buy them .

Actually my favorite dish when I'm having my eating out are all Thai Dishes:

- Padprik
    - Tom Yum
    - Pattaya Fried Rice
    - Ladna (various)
    - Chap Chai

There are still lots of dishes which I forgot the name. It's so delicious and still also very easy to get and cheap.

Anyway a personal question: are you an American born Thai descent or are you relocate to the US from Thailand or you're not Thais all together .
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 11-01-08 at 06:24 AM.

Hahaha, I don't mind really and will not get mad . Yeah the ingredient is authentic. In Malaysia the flour is ready made and can be bought from the Supermarket. Just add water, put the banana in, fried and voila. Or one just go out and buy them .

Actually my favorite dish when I'm having my eating out are all Thai Dishes:

- Padprik
    - Tom Yum
    - Pattaya Fried Rice
    - Ladna (various)
    - Chap Chai

There are still lots of dishes which I forgot the name. It's so delicious and still also very easy to get and cheap.
    awwwwwwww those all sound so good right now. i'm freaken hungry!
    OMG! i used to loveeeeee ladna sooo much! the thick noodles in the brown sauce! mmmmmmmmmm aish, i'm gonna go cook myself something to eat right now. so hungry!

Anyway a personal question: are you an American born Thai descent or are you relocate to the US from Thailand or you're not Thais all together .
    i'm thai and i was born in thailand.
    wow, i still can't believe you're a boy!

i'm gonna go cook this!
    it's great for breakfast!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/baccardixx/breakfast1.jpg')

Is the fried banana a Thai dish? Lol I always thought its Indonesian or something.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    Is the fried banana a Thai dish? Lol I always thought its Indonesian or something.
    It's a south east asia (SEA) dish . People in SEA have lots in common especially in food and language (Thailand, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia, Philipine and Singapore)

Can you do papaya salad Lao style?

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    Can you do papaya salad Lao style?
    do you like it with pla-rah?

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

do you like it with pla-rah?
    here it is, the delicious SomTum:

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.supatra.com/images/somtum.jpg')
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 11-04-08 at 11:25 AM.

It's a south east asia (SEA) dish . People in SEA have lots in common especially in food and language (Thailand, Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia, Philipine and Singapore)
    depending on the regional language in the Philippines, we call this maruya, baduya, or just pritong saging (fried banana).

What is pla-rah? Is it the stinky fish sauce? If so, I like that sauce. I don't like dried shrimp.

Quote Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
    What is pla-rah? Is it the stinky fish sauce? If so, I like that sauce. I don't like dried shrimp.
    yeap, the stinky pickled fish. ummm i'm going to have to ask my friend first if i can use it, cause i think she's not so fond of it.

i think i will make this dish tomorrow. ^_^

Default som tum

okay, sorry for the late post but i was busy.
    and i'm sorry i can't use pla-rah... cause it's so cold right now and if i use it the house would stink so bad and i would have to open the doors. so no pla-rah, but if you want the pla-rah version all you have to do is add it at the same time as the shrimp paste or substitute it for shrimp paste.

i should also tell you that there are many ways of making som tum, it really depends on your taste. some people like a certain thing and others don't. like how you don't like the dried shrimps. i used whatever i had in the fridge so hope it's good enough for you guys.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i34.tinypic.com/2hcmfe9.jpg')
    Last edited by GuGu; 11-10-08 at 09:06 PM.

Much thanks, GuGu.

I was actually thinking of making fried bananas just now and I was searching for a recipe! I think we're connected by telepathy, GuGu dear
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I was actually thinking of making fried bananas just now and I was searching for a recipe! I think we're connected by telepathy, GuGu dear
    you left me without a word and you come back all fried banana on me?

I have always liked Thai steamboat due to the special sauce. Reddish looking with sesame seeds and parsley. Does anyone have the recipe to this???
    I am a pessimist, but I think people like me!

Quote Originally Posted by shen diao xia View Post
    I have always liked Thai steamboat due to the special sauce. Reddish looking with sesame seeds and parsley. Does anyone have the recipe to this???
    thai steamboat? what might it be called in thai?
    or maybe a picture?
    i'm clueless as to what you're talking about here, there's a lot of sauce that looks 'reddish' and with 'sesame seeds and parsley'.