Thread: Laptop (VISTA) sound problem

Default Laptop (VISTA) sound problem

Dear Experts,

My laptop is a VAIO bought at the beginning of the year with VISTA. Recently it's been having persistent sound problems. Like when I turn it on, I'll hear the welcome tune, but when I turn on music with say, realplayer, it'll lost the sound. Or it'll work for a while then lost it. Plugging in earplugs can also lose the sound.

I check the sound manager, it'll say the built-in speaker is working. I check the device manager, it'll say the device is okay. I can even see the sound "bar" fluctuating along with the music.

Sometimes I can get the sound back by restarting. Another way is by disabling the speaker device and then enabling it again. I can keep doing that every half an hour, but surely there's some inherent problem I should fix??

I've heard VISTA is really unstable. I downloaded and installed some kind of sound-related service pack from microsoft , but it didn't help.

I've been recording some songs with sound recording programs like Audacity. Not sure if it has any bearing? But I think this problem occurred briefly couple months ago and went away on its own.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    expression
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    Dear Experts,

My laptop is a VAIO bought at the beginning of the year with VISTA. Recently it's been having persistent sound problems. Like when I turn it on, I'll hear the welcome tune, but when I turn on music with say, realplayer, it'll lost the sound. Or it'll work for a while then lost it. Plugging in earplugs can also lose the sound.

I check the sound manager, it'll say the built-in speaker is working. I check the device manager, it'll say the device is okay. I can even see the sound "bar" fluctuating along with the music.

Sometimes I can get the sound back by restarting. Another way is by disabling the speaker device and then enabling it again. I can keep doing that every half an hour, but surely there's some inherent problem I should fix??

I've heard VISTA is really unstable. I downloaded and installed some kind of sound-related service pack from microsoft , but it didn't help.

I've been recording some songs with sound recording programs like Audacity. Not sure if it has any bearing? But I think this problem occurred briefly couple months ago and went away on its own.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    expression
    My fix process would go something like this

reinstall driver >>> not work?
    format >>>> not work = hardware problem = send it back to sony.

I had the same issue yesterday and I just re-download the driver and it worked fine.

I had an HP and apparently people who tried to update their windows encountered the same problem. Look for the sony website and find your model to figure out what you need to download.
    Hatred is a curve blade. The harm we do to others, we also do to ourselves.

i tell you, some ppl argue for the sake of arguing.

Thanks! Found some BIOS stuff for download on Sony's website that supposedly fix the sound problem. Apparently they say it's the service pack that crash with the sound system. Hope that fixes it.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.