Thread: What songs creep you out?

Default What songs creep you out?

Not the most original prompt, so sue me.

What songs have lyrics that sort of freak you out...because there's just something sinister or creepy about it?

For me, it's David Bowie's "The Man Who Sold The World," which was famously covered by Nirvana during their UNPLUGGED performance in 1993.

Now just listening to the song and following its opaque lyrics provide a creepy enough vibe, but when I went to read about the song's origins and what some of the lyrics were supposedly about, I freaked out even more.

One article I read about the song says that Bowie got the idea from a science fiction novel he read in which the male protagonist time-traveled to the past, had a sex change operation, and became his own mother (or something twisted like that). Just that very idea is freaky enough in of itself.

If the song weren't creepy enough before, it certainly became MAJORLY creepy after I read that info about its origins.

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Where the Wild Roses Grow. From an album called Murder Ballads, where all the songs were about murders of some description or other. Pleasant listening, but it took n listens before I realised one of the viewpoints in the duet was from the victim, already dead, who didn't know she was dead.

The Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays. Written about Brenda Ann Spencer's school shootings on 29th January 1979.

Nick Cave is excellent at giving his songs a somewhat creepy vibe. One of the most atmospheric pieces by Cave is definitely Loverman from Let Love In. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1WXVG7h0bM
    (BTW - just listened to the Metallica version - goddamn awful.)
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    One article I read about the song says that Bowie got the idea from a science fiction novel he read in which the male protagonist time-traveled to the past, had a sex change operation, and became his own mother (or something twisted like that). Just that very idea is freaky enough in of itself.

If the song weren't creepy enough before, it certainly became MAJORLY creepy after I read that info about its origins.
    LOL - there is no way those thing can happen because of the Grandfather Paradox . The only way it can happen is if the traveler goes to a parallel world.

Another problem is that sex-change operation will not allow one to be pregnant . Well not yet, probably can happen if Ovary Transplant can be successfully done to a male human (yeah similar experiment already done to a male rats - so all potential tranny just be patient)

If You Go Away, Emiliana Torrini
    and that Lord of the Rings song she did as well
    actually most of her songs creep me out, but I still like her =P

NSync and Backside Boys stuff creep me out. How do men sing like that? However, I do like the gay parodies such as "Get Gay Way" and "Which Backstreet Boy is Gay." Those new lyrics sound more appropriate to the music so I don't feel as weirded out.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?