Thread: Wuxia martial arts and "chop socky" styles?

Default Wuxia martial arts and "chop socky" styles?

Before Bruce Lee introduced Western folks to a more sophisticated understanding of martial arts, Western knowledge of East Asian martial arts was pretty much defined by Japanese karate (with a little jiu jitsu thrown in). It's what I call "chop socky" martial arts: lots of body flips, lots of open-handed chops with the side of the hand, lots of kicks.

Wuxia martial arts generally don't resemble that at all. But in all of wuxia, is there any martial art that approximates the somewhat awkward "chop socky" style I described above?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Before Bruce Lee introduced Western folks to a more sophisticated understanding of martial arts, Western knowledge of East Asian martial arts was pretty much defined by Japanese karate (with a little jiu jitsu thrown in). It's what I call "chop socky" martial arts: lots of body flips, lots of open-handed chops with the side of the hand, lots of kicks.

Wuxia martial arts generally don't resemble that at all. But in all of wuxia, is there any martial art that approximates the somewhat awkward "chop socky" style I described above?
    I think the "chop-socky" is still there (and other people call it that too; that phrase was coined a long time ago ). It's just been enhanced with qinggong and neigong, which never seemed to exist in old-school martial arts films. Now when someone does a flip they do it in mid-air, and palm strikes are usually flat-palm with lots of qi applied to do more damage. But it's still the same basic framework.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。