Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [ IP MAN? ]

Default [ IP MAN? ]

http://www.ipman-movie.com/

the trailer looks pretty good. looks like it's going to be an interesting flick.

Sina's promo site: http://ent.sina.com.cn/f/m/ipman/index.shtml
    [ 空蕩的街景 想找個人放感情 做這種決定 是寂寞與我為鄰...我們的愛情 像你路過的風景 一直在進行 腳步卻從來不會為我而停...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名...你說愛像雲 要自在飄浮才美麗 我終於相信 分手的理由有時候很動聽...給你的愛一直很安靜 來交換你偶爾給的關心 明明是三個人的電影 我卻始終不能有姓名... 一直很安靜 ]

i'm eagerly waiting for this one too!

if the wing chun style is anything like "the prodigal son", it's sure to be good. either way, i'll watch it for donnie.
    ---------
    Shellie

Whoa, I am was waiting for something like this for long long time. Let's celebrate!
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

one word AWESOME, the fighting scene is marvelous, and the storyline is touching, and donnie yen and the other cast did a wonderful job, very recommended THE BEST KUNGFU MOVIE EVER

trailer with english subtitle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkHmYJmfuWg
    Last edited by kblyear; 12-22-08 at 07:04 AM.

Looks like a great film, especially for martial arts enthusiasts.
    ..ext88

If they're gonna call it IP Man, it better be about a Man of Internet Protocol.

Suckers.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post

Suckers.
    LOL uncle ICEMAN - is that ARTS

Anyway, love to see a movie like this that goes *back to basic*, Donnie is the man. I'm going to watch this tomorrow
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 12-25-08 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post

Suckers.
    Oh its a tech show? I thought it was about Copyright Lawyers and the RIAA (Intellectual Property Man)
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Excellent movie! I can't believe Donnie Yen is 44. Aside from his excellent fighting skills, he portrays a kind, calm and patriotic man very well. The secondary characters are easy to get attached to as well. I'm glad they are making a sequel to this movie.

Yen really put in the effort for this movie. He ate 1 meal a day (!, probably to lose his muscles, kind of a waste though), kept his traditional clothes, acting voice and mannerism even beyond the movie set as well as researched Yip Man's character.
    Last edited by Wellesley; 01-05-09 at 01:04 AM.
    Good site to find movies:
    http://www.rivercay.org

great movie. Way better than that other movie by Jet Li.
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!
    [8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888]

Quote Originally Posted by Wellesley View Post
    Excellent movie! I can't believe Donnie Yen is 44. Aside from his excellent fighting skills, he portrays a kind, calm and patriotic man very well. The secondary characters are easy to get attached to as well. I'm glad they are making a sequel to this movie.

Yen really put in the effort for this movie. He ate 1 meal a day (!, probably to lose his muscles, kind of a waste though), kept his traditional clothes, acting voice and mannerism even beyond the movie set as well as researched Yip Man's character.
    yea, i kept saying how skinny he got in the movie. he really lost weight for the role.
    ---------
    Shellie

Just finished watching the movie.

One of the better pure martial arts movie coming out of the greater china in recent years.

I just wish that they can somehow transcend this quasi-pseudo-nationalism and using japanese as floor wipe- but there's no choice given the storyline.

Can anyone tell me about the ending with the chinese characters- presumably regarding the sequel?

Han Solo
    Last edited by Han Solo; 01-07-09 at 01:08 AM.
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Just finished watching the movie.

I just wish that they can somehow transcend this quasi-pseudo-nationalism and using japanese as floor wipe- but there's no choice given the storyline.

Han Solo
    I thought this movie had less propaganda than another good martial arts movie Underdog Knight which relentless glorifies the Chinese Navy/Police forces and spews a lot of good vs evil Georges Bush style. That movie still deserves an 8/10 though.

Even though Yip Man pwned the Japanese fighters, the latter are still portrayed as having a strong sense of honor, at least the general did. Ip Man's characters aren't black/white like in some other lame movies. I like how the translator wasn't just a simple greedy sell-out, he was just someone trying to feed his large family.

Likewise, the Chinese fighter who came from the north (who got pwned even worse by Yip Man than the Japanese general did) was driven to become a bandit because of poverty. It makes you wonder how he got all those big muscles if he didn't eat full meals though
    Good site to find movies:
    http://www.rivercay.org

hey! This looks cool! Is this movie originally in Mandarin or Cantonese? If Mando, great! If Canto, I will wait for the Canto release. This looks really cool!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I was so fooled by the title. Here I was wondering when the movie would come up, and it's masquerading as a science technology film!

Quote Originally Posted by Wellesley View Post
    Ip Man's characters aren't black/white like in some other lame movies. I like how the translator wasn't just a simple greedy sell-out, he was just someone trying to feed his large family.

Likewise, the Chinese fighter who came from the north (who got pwned even worse by Yip Man than the Japanese general did) was driven to become a bandit because of poverty. It makes you wonder how he got all those big muscles if he didn't eat full meals though

Thats part of the over-simplification. Noticed that ALL the Chinese were good guys or at least 'forced by circumstance' while ALL the Japanese were baddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Can anyone tell me about the ending with the chinese characters- presumably regarding the sequel?

Han Solo

Not sure what you are referring to but the ending just stated that he went to HK and started a martial arts school and all the students who can trace a direct lineage to him number over 2 million. And that one of his direct disciples was Bruce Lee.

It says on wiki that he fled to HK withou his wife and family. Did they re-join him later or were they split after that?

Thanks CC.

I think his sons were in HK as well as they inherited the martial arts association.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Watched it and it's fantastic. Loved the Wing Chun that Donnie demonstrated in the movie. Nick's bastardised Wing Chun in the tv series is a crying shame.

Love this! Definately the movie of the year for 2008 if I got to vote. It sends a clearer message put than Red cliff and it makes more sense than Painted Skin. Why didn;t they submit this for HK? Is it because of the "anti-Japanese" thing?

I am surprised at how real everything looks. From the people, to the shanghai backdrop, to the coal mine, to the cotton mill. The music is very matching and inspiring. The fights are awesome - Donnie is fantastic and nice seeing Terry and the kung-fu guys from "Kung Fu" back. The Judo general (judo background right???) is good as well, admire him to go against Donnie in a fight (I personally think to fight against Donnie is one of the worse things to happen to an actor as Donnie gets very absorbed into his roles and starts fighting for real at times) and get bashed in the head so many times.

I am very happy to see that Gordon Lam has finally gotten a role of some substance since he left TVB. I was worried for him sincehe always got small sidekick roles, but I feel that Gordon can do much more. Very happy for him.

Looking forward to Ip Man 2!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly