Thread: Problem in early morning singing

Default Problem in early morning singing

Guys, I am a new member of a choir and our practice is 5:30 in the morning most of the time when we practice I always experiencing a hard time singing. It feels like my voice is rough and I cant execute a good diaphragm voice. But when it is already a performance in the later morning or afternoon I can sing quite well. Why is that happening? Do you have any suggestion or maybe a solution? Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by mizrach27 View Post
    Guys, I am a new member of a choir and our practice is 5:30 in the morning most of the time when we practice I always experiencing a hard time singing. It feels like my voice is rough and I cant execute a good diaphragm voice. But when it is already a performance in the later morning or afternoon I can sing quite well. Why is that happening? Do you have any suggestion or maybe a solution? Thank you...
    just a wild guess since I know nothing about singing, but warm up?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    just a wild guess since I know nothing about singing, but warm up?
    Actually my problem happened after we warmed up...

Quote Originally Posted by mizrach27 View Post
    Actually my problem happened after we warmed up...
    not enough warm up?

I have the same problem too. My voice gets much better as the day goes. Don't really have a solution for that. Doesn't matter too much for me because I'm not a professional singer.

I also have the problem of chronic phlegm at the back of my throat that occasionally shows up in my voice when I laugh or sing too hard. But I've got myself to blame because I eat too much sweets.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

@mizrach:
    Just guessing, but maybe, as warlock suggested, you still haven't warmed up enough and when you start singing "for real", your vocal chords are protesting. Try warming up in the hot shower before you go. The steam helps the vocal chords. Also, drink quite-warm water before and bring some with you to sip on during practice. Don't drink milk (coats the throat) or acidic drinks like orange juice before singing.

@judge-e
    I didn't know sweets causes chronic phlegm. That explains things....
    一杯酒,一個朋友!
    --离歌笑

Nice tips, Hoju!, I'm sure you've had lots of singing experience or even formal training? Don't hide dear, I've listened to your winning entries.

@judge-e
    I didn't know sweets causes chronic phlegm. That explains things....
    Awww... even Hoju! knows my title. I'm certainly flattered.

Ahem, this is just speculation, but if not sweets, then must be all the chips and cheez puffs I gobble down my poor little throat...
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

How do you warm up? I have no idea
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

Like singing broken chords etc? From my childhood choir memories.

OT: And while you're here, Baobao, I've been trying to record singing with background music with Audacity and ran into a problem.

When I play back within Audacity, everything's clear. But after I exported as mp3, there's this strange "wind"/echo in the background. It's apparent in the "YouhappyMehappy" song (see my signature). Any solution? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    Nice tips, Hoju!, I'm sure you've had lots of singing experience or even formal training? Don't hide dear, I've listened to your winning entries.
    Just "recreational" singing...
    And I look forward to hearing you sing. I'll be checking out your soundclick page tonight, after I get home from work.

Quote Originally Posted by judge-e
    Awww... even Hoju! knows my title. I'm certainly flattered.
    You're spcnet's most lovable judge. Of course I know you.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    How do you warm up? I have no idea
    FFox, I'm at work, so I can't post any links, but searching in youtube will give you some singing warm-ups. Haha... some of them are pretty funny to watch, e.g. where you loosen up your lips. Tehe.
    一杯酒,一個朋友!
    --离歌笑

Do those things really work? How long does it take? I usually don't have much of a window to record. My main problem seems to be sinus congestionLOL. Any exercises to clear that up?

Judge E, I don't use Audacity myself. I thought it was the mic volume setting, but if you hear the sound clearly before mixing, then the volume setting is prolly not it. Do you have the same prob if you export as WAV?

people don't understand the art of warming up. normally warm up is done in groups (i'm not talking about singing but exercising, it's the same for singing though). Unfortunately everyone is different, I for one warm up really quick, 1-2-3 and I'm done, WAYY quicker than anyone else I know. If I warm up like normal people I get worn out really quick.

In the opposite case, some people takes a crapload of time to warm up. So when you do it, learn your timing and what work best for you.

I don't drink warm water, just regular temp water for me.

Aww... Hoju! you're sweet. "Loosen up your lips"...hehe...

From what I recall, Baobao doesn't seem to have a problem projecting his voice.

So warlock, how do you personally warm up your voice?

Judge E, I don't use Audacity myself. I thought it was the mic volume setting, but if you hear the sound clearly before mixing, then the volume setting is prolly not it. Do you have the same prob if you export as WAV?
    Hmm... you may be right. My a capellas recorded in wav format didn't have that problem.

You don't use Audacity? I thought you do since you recommended that to me. Do you use sth more professional?

I use cooledit, which is not free. I use it for mixing audio for SOD, which incidentally is now more than 5 years in “development” and still not finalized. (I have lost motivation to sit down and mix it) I recommended Audacity cuz it’s a good prog for free software. I probably only use a small percentage of cooledit’s functions. It is better than audacity in the mixing area.

Another potential problem is perhaps you are saving the file with too much compression. I dunno the default settings for Audacity so I can only guess.

What are you gonna record for spc idol 3 judge e?

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    Aww... Hoju! you're sweet. "Loosen up your lips"...hehe...

From what I recall, Baobao doesn't seem to have a problem projecting his voice.

So warlock, how do you personally warm up your voice?

Hmm... you may be right. My a capellas recorded in wav format didn't have that problem.

You don't use Audacity? I thought you do since you recommended that to me. Do you use sth more professional?
    Well, I'm normally a quick warmer, so I just sing some phrases of the song I want to sing, and just try to loosen up, until my voice turns "normal" then I'm done. I can tell since I've recorded some stuff before that I didn't warm up, and the begining/end has different tone, it's fixable, but it's annoying

I use cooledit, which is not free. I use it for mixing audio for SOD, which incidentally is now more than 5 years in “development” and still not finalized. (I have lost motivation to sit down and mix it) I recommended Audacity cuz it’s a good prog for free software. I probably only use a small percentage of cooledit’s functions. It is better than audacity in the mixing area.

Another potential problem is perhaps you are saving the file with too much compression. I dunno the default settings for Audacity so I can only guess.

What are you gonna record for spc idol 3 judge e?
    Oh! But I thought I heard your SOD on spcnet idol already? Who's the female voice Baobao?

I'm totally ignorant, but what exactly is mixing anyway? I just turn on the music and sing into the computer, then save the file. Am I supposed to do something more?

I'm unsure about entering Idol. I'm already sharing my singing with fellow spcies, and I've no chance against past winners like Hoju! and Sugar and Warlock.

There’s supposed to be one more part remaining, the part where RYY reveals her feelings to LHC. The last few parts have basically taken about one year apart due to huge pauses between working on them. Been busy, and when I have had time, just had better things to do. This reminds me, I need to find sound effect for a flying sword… (Btw, I am talking about the audio play... i just realized you meant the duet). The female voice on the duet is the 2nd RYY on the play)

Both RYYs are members of the JY Teahouse. The first one was a little bit tough to work with and quit after 3 parts. I am supposed to replace her voice with the 2nd YY’s voice in the first 3 parts at the end... which might take another 5 years? LOL.

Mixing is just editing and combing different sounds into one coherent track, basically. Kinda like creating amateur radio plays.
    ------

the "competition" is just for fun anyway. I don't expect to win either. Last time I really liked the Jim Sa Joi Suzie song someone did. I still listen to it sometimes hehe. I think it might have been Ian Liew. Not sure.
    Last edited by jiang bao; 11-14-08 at 12:52 PM.

Do those things really work? How long does it take? I usually don't have much of a window to record. My main problem seems to be sinus congestionLOL. Any exercises to clear that up?
    Yup, they work, although if what you're singing is already within a comfortable range, you may not notice much benefits. The point of warming up is to stretch your vocal chords (I think ), and that really helps as you get into your end ranges.

How long really depends on the state of your voice and what time of day. First thing in the morning, the warm-up would take longer because you haven't been speaking, but less time (if any at all, depending on the singing) would probably be needed mid-afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by warlock110 View Post
    I don't drink warm water, just regular temp water for me.
    Me too, unless I'm sick. The warm water suggestion was for the OP since it sounded like he/she was having problems warming up.
    一杯酒,一個朋友!
    --离歌笑

I see. Make sure you share the play with us when you're finally done huh?

Mixing is just editing and combing different sounds into one coherent track, basically. Kinda like creating amateur radio plays.
    I just realized I don't do it the common way. I load the song onto Audacity, press record to play it, and sing along as the music plays, so the song is recorded along with my voice. Doesn't require mixing at all and I remain clueless on how to do that.
    Last edited by expression; 11-14-08 at 01:53 PM.