Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Chip Off the Old Block 《巴不得爸爸》

Any idea what Nancy's role will be?

Quote Originally Posted by Liling View Post
    Any idea what Nancy's role will be?
    Nancy will be playing a very obedient daughter from a wealthy family. She has studied and is influenced by the Western culture, and eventually works in a fashion boutique owned by her family. She has a link with Sunny Chan.
    $this->handle_bbcode_url(str_replace('\"', '"', 'http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/3/10/16/yanny/f_banner79m_851e5aa.jpg'), '')

Quote Originally Posted by yanny0808 View Post
    Nancy will be playing a very obedient daughter from a wealthy family. She has studied and is influenced by the Western culture, and eventually works in a fashion boutique owned by her family. She has a link with Sunny Chan.
    This will be a different role for Nancy...she often plays strong, hard-headed characters so I'm looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    This will be a different role for Nancy...she often plays strong, hard-headed characters so I'm looking forward to this.
    That reminds me of her role in Face to Fate, which I didn't like much. I prefer her as the intelligent and witty in Twin of Brothers more. I have confidence in Nancy's acting here as the role doesn't seem that difficult to portray.

Based on the costume, TVB series filmed in this era are usually tend to be very exaggerated.
    Last edited by triumph2004; 01-20-09 at 05:00 PM.

Default "A Chip Off The Old Block" copied off 1993 film "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Father"

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://asian.tv-soap.com/_.gif') "A Chip Off The Old Block" copied off 1993 film "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Father" on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:50 pm

[COLOR=#6B6B6B][/COLOR]

Source: Oriental Daily
    Translated by: aZnangel @ http://asianuniverse.net/forums/

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ol.mingpao.com/ftp/Lady/20091202/saa01/_02MC009_.jpg')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ol.mingpao.com/ftp/Lady/20091202/saa01/_02MC010_.jpg')

"A Chip Off The Old Block" copied off 1993 film "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Father"

TVB
    wanted creativity and produced a comedy series
    Block>, which premiered last night. The story is about a stubborn
    father Chor Fan (Sunny Chan) and snobbish son Chor Chi (Ron Ng) not
    getting along. Later, Chor Chi encountered lightning while he was in
    the elevator and traveled back in time to the 60's. Back in the 60's,
    he met a group of residents there. After the series broadcast, Netizens
    criticized that the the series copied 1993 film
    He's My Father> (新難兄難弟). Whether if it's the characters, the plot or
    the dialogue, it is all very similar to the film. Netizens denounced
    how this is considered a "creative comedy"! Back in the day, Tony Leung
    Chiu Wai and Tony Leung Ka Fai played father and son in
    Heavy...>, Netizens said that Sunny and Ron are their "pirated
    versions", as they had similar personalities. Besides Sunny's character
    name is "Chor Fan, he also uses the favorite line: "People help me, I
    help people" and he'll also be a thief/bandit to borrow money in order
    to help with the disaster relief and other good deeds.

The
    other night, Netizens discovered errors in the series, when Chor Chi
    was chasing after a thief, he injured his left hand. However,
    afterwards when his father came into the room to twist his ear, his
    bandage was on his right hand, a serious flaw.

[COLOR=#000000]I can't found topics about this serias on this section so i open a topics on this serias .Have anyone watching this serial now?thanks.
    [/COLOR]
    Last edited by galvatron; 12-08-09 at 07:34 AM.

TVB copies tons of movies into tv series format. There was even a direct reference in the dialog to "He ain't heavy, He's my father" in one of the scenes. I say its more of an updated tribute to the movie than hijacking the story.

So far I'm up to episode 5, and its hilarious! The script is pretty witty and acting is superb. I'm sticking it into my top 5 list this year.

1. Rosy Business
    2. Gem of Life
    3. You're Hired
    4. EU
    5. A Chip Off the Old Block

Only in this series does Myolie Wu look like Michelle Yim.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I finished this serie last month and I really enjoyed it. It actually exceeded my expectations and was a joy to watch. The cast worked well together and there was chemistry between everyone. Not to mention the acting was good to. Just to mention, did not see the movie version that everyone is comparing it to.

I was quite impressed with Ron because I think he has improved lots over the years and this performance was well done. His comedic scenes were well timed and the character itself was funny. The supporting cast of John Chiang, Carlos Ng, Louis Yuen, Gigi Wong, etc were hilarious. Also I was very glad to see Irene Wong in here! Haven't seen her in so long and just think she is a cutie.

I did wish that Nancy's character had more significance and was curious what happened to her in the "future". Shirley was cute, but I really disliked her appearance in 2009, she looked really blah. Myolie was good, but there was some scenes I felt she overacted in. The character itself may have required that, but just thought it could have been more subtle.

Honestly looking forward to a sequel because thats what the ending implied. Though I'm curious as to what direction that would be in then.
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    Thats why we call it,
    The Present.

thao!!!! haha! so glad you finished this series! i enjoyed this series very much, addicted to it actually. and im one of the people who nearly went crazy when the ending credits rolled! hahaha! i hate hanging endings!
    but yeah, i love ron in here. like u said, he indeed had improved lots since his first few series back then. i remembered back then how i bashed on his acting, how he looked like a piece of wood. but now he's improved lots! and this series is really hilarious!
    kinda annoyed with myolie's character though. poor sunny who's very much inlove with her. in terms of acting, such a pity that seems that myolie stopped improving....
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Cherrie!!!! I'm super excited to be able to talk with you bout this serie! Same as you, really enjoyed the serie! Finished it in nearly 2 days and I let my dad, cousin, and bf watch it. They all liked it and found it funny! The ending was weird and makes me keep thinking! Do you know if its confirmed at all for a sequel? Ratings weren't bad for this though right?

Haha, I remember back then. He really was just a handsome face and nothing. Hated how stiff he was. Was actually surprised when you became a Ron fan!! As for Myolie....yeah, her acting is same as before. Not expanding, but I don't think she is regressing either. Just think she needs a better role and all. Though I enjoyed the scene where she was "singing" and dancing to Fung Fung's songs! Haha, I love the mention of Old Time Buddy here!

I liked watching Sunny more with Ron here. Their father son relationship was amusing, espically the early stages when they meet in the 60s. Also it was quite touching at the end when Ron realizes how much Sunny loves and cared for him despite early beliefs. Think Myo's makeup was too much that she looked a bit blah with him, but it was nice seeing them reunite after WAD

Favorite scenes?? The popsicle scene was hilarious!! And I loved most of Ron and Shirley's scenes. Especially when she thought he was a pervert and kept wacking him with her cooking ladle!
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    Thats why we call it,
    The Present.

I"m up to eps 7 now and it is hilarious. Everyone played their characters very well especially David Chiang and Gigi Wong Yes, I must say that Ron's acting had improved over the years. I used to not like his acting but now he is good. Even Shirley. Myolie's character, too much make-up and her hair is puffy like Goddess said "blah". I think that is the style in the 60s. Who is the actress (Fung Lin)? I've not seen her act before with TVB.
    *A smile is contagious; be a carrier*

Hey bubcas!! So glad you came in to chat bout this serie, I'm still in such a mood to talk bout it ^____^ Good to know you are enjoying the serie. Pretty sure you'll keep laughing all the way to the end!! Hehe, and I love your avator of Annie!!

The actress that played Fung Lin is Mandy Wong. Think she is pretty new and read that she was in Easterly Shower and Just Love2. I think her acting in here was okay. Honestly, this serie itself really benefited the artists cause it allowed a little more exaggeration and what not. Found it hilarious whenever she lost her glasses and couldn't even tell who was who/what is what.

Ron does have some nack for comedy roles. He really was spot on with his funny lines or actions. But you could see his more serious side too towards the end which was great. I love the scene of him and Shirley celebrating his birthday. They look super compatiable there.
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    Thats why we call it,
    The Present.

Hi Goddess! Been a long time since I've been in the forum. Been watching TVB series on and off. This one is really funny to me. I laughed so much when Ron trying to adjust his life in the 60s and how he was treated by everyone in the house. Calling him a "big squid" and then "big crocodile" and also how he keep going into the closet and make a wish to go back to 2008. Louis Yuen and Carlos is funny too!The actress, Mandy actually played her part well, when she don't wear her glasses and how David take advantage of her. I also enjoyed watching the part when he wants to marry her.

I always love Annie. Miss her in TVB ever since she ventured into China.

Same with me Bubcas! Just feel like I have no time to watch series except for specific ones ^__^ Hahaha, love that nickname for him! At first didn't quite get it till they explained it, so cute! Thought the weird 100% match thing that Ron did with Sunny and shirley was so funny!!

Louis is hilarious!! Love his catch phrase "I hate.....!!!" And his relationship with his little daughter is just too sweet! Carlos and his two wives also have touching moments!!

Yeah, its sad that Annie hasn't been on screen for awhile now. Last I heard she had filmed some mainland China serie with Chilam.
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    Thats why we call it,
    The Present.

Finished this series I doubt there will be a sequel tho, judging by each character's past and future. It's entertaining if you don't take this series seriously Enjoyed it.

hi thao! hehe! oh ya, i didn't expect myself to appreciate ron too, esp coz back then he's really a stiff block of wood! hehe so happy he had improved lots

i esp love ron and sunny's moments. like u said, so sweet, touching and funny, esp during the first time ron went back to the 70s. the part when ron kept bursting in the closet, trying to fit and kept on chanting 2009 was plain hilarious. and oh, i love it when ron flushed down the water they were saving so hard, and how he reacted disgustingly with their unhygeinic practices
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)