Thread: By My Side 不凡的爱

Default By My Side 不凡的爱

This serial is in the last week of its run in Singapore but I thought I'd put it up anyway because it's quite good.

By My Side 不凡的爱

Cast:
    Zoe Tay 郑惠玉, Chen Hanwei 陈汉伟, Rui En 芮恩, Elvin Ng 黄俊雄, Vina Lim 林家安, Zhu Hou Ren 朱厚任, Zhu Yu Yue 朱玉叶, Ye Shipin 叶世品, Brandon Wong 黄炯耀, Ong Ai Leng 王爱玲, Chen Tian Wen 陈天文, Terence Cao 曹国辉

Synopsis:
    Seen through the eyes of an innocent 7-year-old girl who naively details what she feels as she goes through the life-changing ordeal, the serial depicts the story of a blissfully married man who had everything in the world until he contracts AIDS. His world crumbles as friends dessert him, relatives despise him, the society discriminates against him, and kinship is put to the test.

Trailers:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJASZgc7IIE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVew-hLtj2c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGJW_SZ8pEM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PgZUO6evTE

Opening:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF6pAawwkrY

I just find the neighbours' reaction exaggerating, but then I don't really know how people react if they learn a neighbour has AIDS.

I know there will be discrimination, but throwing eggs, putting up notices and all are like over the top.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

i thought it was not bad, until the chen tianwen mad psycho plotline entered then it was melodrama haven.

in comparison the romance between ruien and elvin tan was more endearing and believable.

My guess is that the Chen Tianwen subplot was an attempt to widen the appeal of the show, this being shown in a 9 PM timeslot. However, for it to work properly, I think the subplot should have been introduced much earlier in the series and been better integrated into the rest of the story.

The romance between Rui En and Elvin Ng was arguably more believable. But the relationship was hardly ordinary, so it's hard to say. In any case, I'd agree that it was, at the least, endearing.

I thought the main story was potentially more heartwarming, though possibly more difficult for some viewers to relate to unless they've experienced something similar. The story was generally sensitively done, not just with regards to the main protagonist's family relationships but also in the relationship between him and his friends.

There is some good acting in this show and it should garner at least some acting nominations in the next Star Awards. The theme song is also nice.

Yeah, I thought the Chen Tianwen subplot was very badly integrated into the main plot. I honestly wasn't interested in it at all. And it was a little too far-fetched. I know dramas are supposed to be just that - dramas (i.e. not an accurate reflection of real life) but when you're watching such a real, hard hitting drama about AIDS, I think it's a bit ridiculous when there's some psycho manic depressive guy trying to take revenge on one of the main characters.

Plus, they ended the subplot off so abruptly.

Pointless subplot aside, I think the drama was pretty good; it's a very touching and pretty realistic drama about the illness and how it affects the patients and their relationships with their loved ones. I think most of the cast really delivered, especially Chen Hanwei, Zoe Tay and Rui En. Besides, it's a nice break from what Ch 8 has been churning out so far. Different theme for once.
    -velvet_ice-
    "Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz