Thread: The Disappearing Needles - 消失的针 (xiāo shī de zhēn)

Post The Disappearing Needles - 消失的针 (xiāo shī de zhēn)

Hi everyone. I'm new here, but I've been a lurker for quite a few years. I wanted to share a story I've been writing lately. In English it's "The Disappearing Needles" and in Chinese it's 消失的针(xiāo shī de zhēn).

The main characters are Leng Xiaohan (冷潇晗) and Wen Xuan (雯轩).

I just wanted to make a disclaimer before beginning. I don't claim to be a great writer, and I realize that this is probably not the most innovative story. In fact, it is blatantly inspired by Gu Long. The reason I did this is because his style is quite opposite from my usual writing style, and I thought it would be interesting to do something a little bit different. I wrote this story for fun, and figured some others might enjoy it. The story is not that long, but I will post it a bit at a time (actually I still have a few more pages to write hehe).

Also, although I am studying the language and really enjoy learning about the culture and history of China, I am no expert. So if I make some mistakes in that regard, I apologize in advance.

Well, enough blathering, here is the story:

Chapter 1

The sun was setting over the garden. A lake reflected red light onto the walls and rocks, and the small pagoda. Everything looked like it was painted with blood. Except the body.

The body of the man lay on the ground next to the pagoda, with one hand resting on his stomach. His whole body looked tranquil. He almost looked asleep. Except that his eyes stared blankly at the sky, and some spittle had oozed out onto his long gray beard. His head twisted back at an unnatural angle.
    Two men stood nearby, at the garden’s entrance. They wore the robes and headgear of the local constabulary.
    “What do you think?” said the one.
    The other shrugged. “Who knows.”
    The first one glanced at the rooftop around the garden, as if looking for someone. “The chief's martial arts were top notch. I saw him fight in a competition a few years ago in the south.”
    The other constable spit into the bushes. “So?”
    “It would take someone really powerful to kill him.”
    “Who says he was killed? Look at him. His heart probably stopped from old age.”
    “Old age? He was barely 60!” The man scanned the rooftops again. “What if the killer comes back?
    “Pah.” The constable leaned up against the wall. “Your imagination is far too vivid. People die all the time. It was the chief’s time, that’s all.”
    The other man swallowed.
    A few minutes later two people walked past the constables into the garden. The nervous constable moved to stop them, but the other grabbed his arm quickly and shook his head.
    The first person was a beautiful woman with thin lips and long hair. She carried a sword, sheathed in a scabbard of silver, studded with pink pearls. She was followed by a man who had dark eyes and strangely light-colored hair. The man carried no weapon, but he looked dangerous, perhaps even angry. They wore ordinary clothes, although the fabric and embroidery was clearly expensive. What was more important was what they were not wearing. They did not wear the headgear of the local constabulary, or any type of insignia or garment that would identify them as Imperial agents. Who were these people? On what authority did they enter the garden to examine the body of the chief constable?
    The nervous constable leaned toward his companion. “Who are they?”
    The other constable looked at his partner incredulously. “You really don’t know?" he whispered. "Where did you grow up, the other side of the world? You’ve never heard of Leng Xiao Han and Wen Xuan?”
    “Leng Xiao Han and Wen Xuan?” The nervous constable looked sheepish. “I grew up in the south, I don’t think I’ve heard of them.”
    “If you haven’t heard of them, who have you heard of? They make their living as teachers, but their martial skills are unparalleled. And they are very intelligent. Chief Liu would sometimes ask for their help with difficult cases.”
    Leng Xiao Han was now kneeling next to the body. Wen Xuan stood next to him. After a long time, Leng Xiao Han said, “I’d say the chances of him dying naturally are at least 125 to 1.”
    “125 to 1?”
    He nodded. “I see three things that are out of the ordinary. Each by itself would make a 5 to one likelihood that it’s not an accident. But, multiplying them together gives a 125 to 1 probability.”
    “Three things? I think maybe you’re getting rusty. I see four things.”
    “Four!” Leng Xiao Han’s lips twisted to the side. “That would make the odds 625 to 1! Tell me the four things you see.”
    “First, notice his jacket. The embroidery on the left side is rumpled and slightly torn, right over his vital point. I surmise that he was paralyzed shortly before he died. And I further surmise that underneath his garments, we will find a slight bruise in that very spot, unless he died before the bruise could form.”
    Leng Xiao Han gently revealed the chief’s chest. Sure enough, a small bruise was visible. “Very good, that’s one.”
    “Two, on the side of his neck are two slightly discolored dots. A similar dot is visible on his right hand. This is consistent with a poisoned needle.”
    “Excellent. That’s two out of four.”
    “Three, the angle of his fall. He is positioned in such a way that we would be led to believe he fell backwards, and landed with his neck directly on the small wall separating the path from the plants, instantly killing him. However it would be very difficult for him to fall in this direction. His body covers almost the entire path. The only way for him to have fallen this way would be if he were standing at the very edge of the other side of the path. But that side of the path faces the wall of the garden. Why would he possibly be facing the wall, and then fall straight backwards? For a normal person, this would be unlikely. For a martial artist like Chief Liu, I would say it is impossible.”
    “Three out of four. I’m impressed. What is the fourth?”
    “His fingertip.”
    “His fingertip? Which one?”
    “The index finger of his left hand.”
    Leng Xiao Han lifted the chief’s arm and examined the fingertip.
    Wen Xuan continued: “We know that the chief was a master of the 5 Black Fingers. This martial art focuses on deadly attacks with the fingertips. It is called “Black Fingers” because after using the technique, the fingers become black for three days.”
    “But, this finger isn’t black.”
    “True, however, the tip is slightly reddened, and there is a tiny white dot on the very tip. Immediately after using the technique, the tip of the finger becomes red, and a white dot appears. Within 10 minutes, the redness spreads. Within 25 minutes, it becomes black. Clearly, the chief was in a fight for his life, and used his 5 Black Fingers technique, but was killed shortly thereafter, before his finger could become black.”
    Leng Xiao Han put the hand down. “Very clever. I wasn’t aware of that detail about the 5 Black Fingers technique. How did you know about it?”
    Wen Xuan smiled. “I know lots of things!”
    “Of course you do. But, there’s one thing you don’t know.”
    Her lips squeezed into half of a pout. “What don’t I know?”
    “There is another piece of evidence. I have to admit, I didn’t know about the 5 Black Fingers. And unfortunately, I didn’t notice the needle marks. But I did notice this.” He pulled the chief’s shoulder up. There on the slate stone, a tiny piece of metal glinted.
    “I couldn’t see that from this angle!” said Wen Xuan. “That’s not fair!”
    Leng Xiao Han grinned. “Maybe you should have knelt down!” From his sleeve he retrieved a thin glove. He reached out and picked up the piece of metal. Standing, he examined it carefully. Wen Xuan stepped closer to look.
    “It’s the back end of a needle,” she said, “shaped like some kind of insect.”
    “Yes. From the diameter, I’d say this is not a needle for sewing, but a needle for throwing!”
    “It must be one of the murder weapons.”
    Leng Xiao Han pulled a small pouch from his robe and carefully placed the needle in it. “You know what this means?”
    “There are now 5 pieces of evidence. The chances of the chief’s death being an accident is … 3125 to 1.”
    Leng Xiao Han looked his partner in the eyes. “The chief was definitely murdered.”
    Last edited by baijierui; 11-22-08 at 09:19 AM. Reason: added "chapter"

Chapter 2

A day had passed, and there were no leads. No needle-maker in the city made needles of this type, and none of the experts had ever seen anything like it.
    Wen Xuan and Leng Xiao Han sat in a small restaurant, eating dumplings.
    So far, the needle has led us nowhere, said Leng Xiao Han. But at least we still have some leads. The pressure point attack, for one.
    Wen Xuan nodded. Yes. What technique could paralyze a person of Chief Lius ability with only one strike and one finger. All the techniques Ive heard of would require at least two strikes, or two fingers. And then there is the poison.
    Leng Xiao Han swallowed a dumpling. Yes, this poison leaves almost no visible marks, only tiny red spots. Most poisons severely discolor the skin, or cause contortions in the body.
    Perhaps I should
    In that moment both Wen Xuan and Leng Xiao Han sensed and incoming attack. Leng Xiao Han pulled his head back at the last moment. His hand flashed up. Sticking into his chopsticks were two slender needles, with ends shaped like insects. They had only a moment to look at them, before the needles disintegrated before their eyes. The two investigators exchanged a wide-eyed glance. Suddenly, more needles flew into the restaurant. Wen Xuan deflected four with her sword, and Leng Xiao Han intercepted two with his chopsticks. They all disintegrated moments later. On the other side of the street, a shape blurred across a rooftop.
    Go! said Leng Xiao Han. They flew out of the window in pursuit of their assailant. The person wore drab brown robes and wide hat. It was impossible to identify him from behind. As Wen Xuan and Leng Xiao Han raced in pursuit across the rooftops, the person threw more needles, though they were easily dodged.
    Turning to his partner, Leng Xiao Han said, Wen Xuan, go left here. Lets try to trap him by the waterfront. Wen Xuan angled in a different direction.
    The plan worked. With Wen Xuan on the left and Leng Xiao Han guarding the way behind and to the right, they managed to force their attacker toward the docks and into a back alley. They had him trapped. Leng Xiao Han blocked the entrance of the alley, and Wen Xuan stood on the rooftop at the dead end.
    Give up, said Leng Xiao Han.
    The person laughed. You should give up, not me.
    Leng Xiao Han concealed his surprise at the persons voice. It was a woman! Give up what? We were simply eating some dumplings when all of a sudden needles starting flying at us.
    The woman snorted. I have more, and this time I wont be throwing them across a street through a window.
    Maam, were just private citizens trying to enjoy an afternoon in the city. Were not interested in fighting.
    Peh! Private citizens indeed. I know who you are! Lapdogs of the government, thats what! She glanced over her shoulder. Wen Xuan, with your 9 Reticulations Sword technique. You kill without unsheathing your sword. And Leng Xiao Han, who uses a martial art with no name.
    Leng Xiao Han chuckled. Oh, it has a name, you just dont know it. Id love to find out where your needles come from. Theyre very interesting.
    You mean those needles?
    Leng Xiao Han hurled himself to the side just in time. Several dozen needles flew toward him from behind him, just as Wen Xuan shouted a warning. They plunked into the stone of the alleyway. Laughing, the woman with the hat and the dirty robes flew past him, throwing more needles. Leng Xiao Han waved his sleeve, deflecting them into a nearby doorway. Wen Xuan dropped down next to him.
    Xiao'er, are you hurt? she said.

He stood, brushing some of the filth of the alleyway off of his robes. Im fine. The needles he looked toward where the needles had landed, but they were gone.
    Wen Xuan brushed dirt from his shoulders. Im sorry I didnt warn you, I didnt see anyone.
    Dont worry. At least one good thing has come out of this.
    Oh, whats that?
    I think we have a good name for this case. The case of the disappearing needles!

Default Chapter 3

The shop was located in the maze of streets that was the west section of the city. This was the part of town where the constables were so busy with serious crimes that they didnt bother to worry about things like thievery or assault. On a sidestreet was a small shop with no sign outside, and only one window. How did Wen Xuan find it?
    She knows lots of things!
    She entered the shop and let her eyes adjust to the dim light. The walls were covered with shelves and drawers, filled to capacity with vials and tubes and pots, containers of every sort. Some containers were filled with powders and fluids, others held animals like scorpions and snakes. One section of the wall contained hundreds of paper manuscripts and tightly rolled scrolls. In the back, a man hunched over a table, carefully milking the venom from a deadly looking viper.
    Wen Xuan walked up to the man and watched him work.
    He finished milking the creature and then put it back into a container. He looked up at her and blinked. Yes?
    She smiled. Im here about a poison.
    ~~~
    Im here about a technique. Leng Xiao Han looked down at the man, waiting for an answer.
    The man was very old, and he sat under an old tree on an old hill in the old section of the city. His robes were arranged neatly around him. No one knew his name, but everyone called him the Thinking Man. Every day, he would leave his house and come to this old tree to meditate. According to rumor, his martial arts were profound, but none had ever dared to test him. The strangest thing was that even though he never traveled, and never did anything but sit under a tree, he seemed to know everything about Jianghu.
    The Thinking Man cracked open an eye. What technique?
    I dont know the technique, or its name.
    That makes things difficult, wouldnt you say.
    Which is why Im here.
    Of course. Please describe the technique.
    Its very interesting. Ive never seen or heard of anything like it. This technique will paralyze a person.
    Thats not very unique.
    I know. What makes it unique is that the paralysis is accomplished with only one strike, and one finger.
    One strike, one finger
    Yes. Have you heard of it before?
    I have.
    Leng Xiao Hans eyes widened. You have? Excellent! What is its name?
    The Thinking Man looked up at him. One Strike, One Finger.
    Leng Xiao Han didnt say anything for a moment. I see. What a clever name.
    Clever indeed. This technique, One Strike, One Finger, is not common, which of course you know, since youve never heard of it. But a long time ago, it was very famous. When I was young, there were only two manuscripts describing the technique, and many died trying to obtain one. Before the manuscripts were finally destroyed, 5 men had mastered the technique. In the years since, they have all died.
    Many thoughts churned in Leng Xiao Hans head. Perhaps some of these men passed on the skill to a child or apprentice.
    Yes, this is possible. And if you want to determine whether that is the case, I think you should go to Fang manor, by the West Lake.
    Fang manor?
    Yes. One of the Five Masters of One Strike, One Finger, was Fang Da Ping. His son, Fang You Neng (方有能) lives now at Fang manor.
    One Strike, One Finger
    The Thinking Man cracked open an eye. If I were you, I would drop the matter here He closed the eye.
    Excuse me?
    Not so much for your sake, but for hers.
    Who are you talking about?
    Wen Xuan.
    ~~~
    The Herb shop was opposite in almost every way to the Poison Shop. A large, conspicuous location, neatly arranged herb plants, a bright attentive shopkeeper.
    Wen Xuan took a moment to smell the flowers on one of the small plants before approaching the herbalist. His name was Wang, and he was known in Jianghu as the Herb Drinker. This was not because he drank herbs. No, he drank wine. A lot of wine. And he also happened to know more about Herbs than anyone in North China. So, he was the Herb Drinker.
    When the Herb Drinker saw her, he greeted her enthusiastically. Wen Xian! Its been too long!
    It's Xuan. My name is Wen Xuan"
    The Herb Drinker laughed. Isnt that what I said?
    Wen Xuan chuckled. Youve started drinking already? You know, it's very bad for your health."
    "I know, I know."
    "I hope business has been going well.
    It has. I should take you out to drink sometime but, oh! I forgot. You only drink tea and juice. What a shame.
    I have a question about an herb, she said.
    That would explain why youre here. What herb are you looking for?
    Im looking for an herb that can disintegrate metal.
    The Herb Drinker thought for a long time. I cant think of any herb that does that.
    Are you sure?
    Im sure.
    What about an herb, but mixed with this She pulled a small envelope out of her sleeve. She handed it to the Herb Drinker. He read the words on the envelope: Scorpion Heart Reverse Fire Powder. His face paled. He handed the envelope back to her.
    You should destroy that immediately. Youre in danger just knowing about it.
    Danger from whom?
    His eyes darted back and forth, and he took a step back. Leave, he said. Leave now.
    Wen Xuan! said a voice from the entrance of the shop. She turned to see Leng Xiao Han standing in the door.
    Xiao'er, what are you doing here? A shuffling sound caught her attention, and she turned to see the Herb Drinker shakily mixing a finely chopped pile of herbs into a chalky solution. An ordinary person might not know what he was doing. But this was Wen Xuan. She knew lots of things.
    He was mixing an explosive!
    Wen Xuans unsheathed sword struck out toward the Herb Drinker, violently knocking the mortar and pestle from his hands. But it was too late. Bright orange light exploded outward, engulfing the Herb Drinker. Wen Xuan leaped backwards, spinning her sword rapidly to protect her body. Wen Xuan was fast, but not faster than an explosion. She was tossed hard against the wall, and then flopped to the ground. Leng Xiao Han was knocked out into the street.
    Moments later, Wen Xuan rose to her feet. Her robes were signed. Her body was bruised. But she was alive. At the back of the shop, the Herb Drinker slumped backwards on the counter. His left arm and leg were gone.
    But he was also alive!
    Wen Xuan staggered forward to the Herb Drinker. His breath rattled in and out. He was alive, but dying.
    What is the herb? she asked. Tell me! What is the herb you used, and who did you supply it to?
    His breath rattled in. He said one and a half words. And then he died.

Default Chapter 4

Wen Xuan lay in the bed. She felt uncomfortable. Leng Xiao Han sat in a chair next to her, looking at her.
    Why are you looking at me? she said.
    Im worried about you.
    You dont need to be worried about me. I can take care of myself.
    You nearly got blown to bits today, he said. Your face and arm are burned. You have bruises all over.
    Im fine. We need to concentrate on this case.
    Leng Xiao Han sighed. Im beginning to consider dropping the case.
    What?! Drop the case? Weve never dropped a case before. Ever.
    Weve also never been attacked by disappearing poison needles and almost blown to bits all in the same day.
    Xiao'er, Chief Liu was murdered. He was our friend. He stood up to us when the Imperial Court wanted us arrested. He helped us recover the Fox Sword of Lu Tian. We must bring his killers to justice!
    Leng Xiao Han sighed again. He hated sighing, but sometimes, sighing is all you can do.
    Xiao'er, if you dont continue, I will! We cant let ourselves be bullied by some common murderers.
    He nodded. Well, the good news is we still have some leads. I talked to the Thinking Man. He told me about a technique that can paralyze with one finger and one strike. Its calledhe rolled his eyesOne Strike, One Finger.
    Wen Xuan laughed. Nice name.
    Nice enough that people killed to learn it. There happens to be one family in the city who knows this technique. That is our biggest lead. We also know something about the people we are up against.
    We know that they have enough power to either recruit or blackmail the Herb Drinker.
    They are not a local organization. That woman who tried to kill us would not easily have been cornered at the waterfront if she knew the city. This group also has access to custom weaponry of the highest caliber, which means they are a rich organization.
    And they use poison.
    Leng Xiao Han asked, What did the Herb Drinker say before he died?
    The first word he said before he died was death. He only said half of the next word. It started with C.
    The two investigators looked at each other, and their hearts sank. The evidence seemed to be pointing in one direction. The direction of an organization so dark and evil, so menacing and dangerous, that the most powerful heroes in the world balked at its name.
    The Death Cult.
    ~~~
    Fang Manor sat like a fat peacock on the edge of the West Lake. Its neighbors were other fat peacock houses, the type that only rich people could afford or would want to live in.
    Inside the manor, Leng Xiao Han and Wen Xuan sat in a garden much more spacious and lavish than Chief Lius. Expensive tea was served. Wen Xuan made sure her sword was propped against the chair next to her, a hands breadth away.
    Fang You Neng waddled to meet them, a fat young rich man with droopy eyes and horrible teeth. The two investigators exchanged a look. Surely this could not be the master of the fabled One Strike, One Finger technique!
    I cant believe the famous Leng Xiao Han and Wen Xuan are sitting in my garden! Ive lived in this city my whole life and never even seen them. What a wonderful day!
    Were pleased to meet you, Mr. Fang.
    He plopped into a chair and slurped some tea. My my, two famous heroes sharing tea with me. What could they possibly want?
    Wen Xuan cleared her thorat. Mr. Fang, were investigating the death of Constable Chief Liu.
    Ah, Ive heard of this tragedy. So horrible. So horrible. But, what do Mr. Leng and Miss Wen think I have to do with it?
    Weve been told your family possesses a technique called One Strike, One Finger. Is this true?
    Fang You Neng choked on his tea. Er, ahem. One Strike, One Finger? I dont think Ive, oh wait. Yes! One Strike, One Finger. My poor father mentioned it once to me. It was just in passing though, I cant believe that he would know such a powerful martial art.
    Who said it was powerful? asked Leng Xiao Han.
    Er, you did! I mean, you didnt, but obviously it must be connected to Chief Lius death, so it must be some sort of powerful technique, right? Fang You Nengs hands were shaking.
    Are you sure your father never talked about it? He never passed it on to you a friend, or an apprentice?
    Suddenly, Fang You Neng dropped his cup. It clattered to the ground at Wen Xuans feet. Fang You Neng leaned forward to retrieve it. Like an oiled snake his hand shot out and he jabbed Wen Xuan in the side with a finger. She grunted.
    Leng Xiao Han jumped out of the chair, aiming a blow at Fang You Neng. The leaves on nearby trees rustled. Fang You Neng didnt know it, but Leng Xiao Han was about to use a strike that could shatter a large tree or small boulder. You can imagine what it would do to a human chest or head.
    But before the blow could be delivered, a cold voice rang out. I wouldnt do that it if I were you.
    Leng Xiao Han looked over his shoulder. A man stood in the garden. He wore a black robe and a white mask that looked like a skull. Next to him was a woman in the same costume. Good to see you again, she said. He could hear her sneer.
    Leng Xiao Han examined the two. They carried no weapons. They stood as calmly as if they were watching the sunset, their sleeves blowing gently in the breeze. Why shouldnt I? he asked them. This fat pig here touched my friend.
    Do you want her to live or to die?
    Leng Xiao Han wasnt stupid. He lowered his arm to his side.
    Thats better. Fang, pick her up and carry her over here.
    Fang You Neng giggled as he carried Wen Xuan over. The woman in black slung her over her shoulder.
    Leng Xiao Hens teeth ground together. Who are you?
    I imagine youve guessed already, but it doesnt really matter either way. If you value your friends life, youll drop this matter.
    If you hurt her
    The man laughed. I fear your threats as much as I fear the songs of birds in the morning. On the other hand, you would be wise to fear me. Otherwisehis sleeve flicked. Fang You Neng quivered and then fell to the ground. For a brief moment the glint of a needle could be seen at his neck. He gurgled for a moment, and then was silent. The man laughed again. Ive heard stories about you, Leng Xiao Han. I know the name of your 3 primary techniques. And I know that each technique has 7 variations. And I know that each of those 21 variations has 3 sub-variations. And each of the sub-variations is like a technique unto itself. This is why no one knows the name of your technique, because you actually have 63 major techniques, and you never use the same one twice. I know that you were about to use your Rock Detonating Palm on my poor accomplice here. But neither your Rock Detonating Palm, nor your Volcanic Dragon Kick, nor any of your silly variations, mean anything to me. I decide life and death, including that of your lovely friend here. Do not interfere. If you do, your friend Wen Xuan will die a horrible, agonizing death. You see, the poison on our Disappearing Needles kills instantly. But we have other poisons that do not kill instantly.
    Leng Xiao Hans blood boiled, but he didnt move. His mind sped through his 63 variations, trying to think of one that he could use in this situation. None could completely ensure Wen Xuans safety.
    The man said, Now we will part, Leng Xiao Han. Dont think of following us, or your friend dies. I have plenty more disappearing needles that will reach her neck far faster than you can reach us.
    They were gone. The wind blew through the garden of Fang manor. It smelled bitter.

Sorry for the delay...

Chapter 5

Leng Xiao Han stared at the small flowers in his hand. One flower was crushed and dry, the other fresh and pristine. Half of the petals on the flower were bright red, the other half were bright blue. A strange combination. Who had ever heard of a blue flower, let alone a flower with both red and blue petals? Where were the flowers from?
    Leng Xiao Han was a teacher by trade, but an investigator at heart. After the man had taken Wen Xuan, his heart was filled with rage and fear. But his investigators instincts told him that he must not let his emotions get the better of him. He examined the scene of the crime, and the body. The marks on the necks perfectly matched the marks on Chief Lius body. In Fang You Nengs sleeve, hed found the first flower, the fresh one. The crumpled flower was found on the sole of his boot. It appeared to be at least 3 days old.
    This meant that wherever the flower had come from, Fang You Neng had been there both before and after the murder. Where were the flowers from?
    Leng Xiao Han had few friends in the world. His closest friend was Wen Xuan. His second closest friend was a man named Xu Cheng. Xu Cheng had a scar on his face, and lived near the waterfront where he owned a shop that sold wine and fish dishes.
    In the back of the shop was a small office. The two men sat at a table together. Wine and salted fish were laid out in front of them.
    Its good to see you, Xiao Han. You look troubled.
    Things are bad, my friend. Very bad. He told the story in detail, from the beginning. It was about 5 servings of wine later that he finished.
    Xu Cheng sighed, and poured more wine. Why do they want Wen Xuan? What does she have to do with all of this?
    I dont know. Maybe they just took her to keep me from pursuing the case.
    And what about the needle fragment?
    What about it?
    You say the needles disappear. How could a fragment have been left behind?
    From his sleeve, Leng Xiao Han pulled the envelope with the needle fragment. He dumped the piece of metal onto the table.
    Xu Cheng examined the needle end carefully. He grunted. Right here on the needle is a mark. Its the type of mark you see when metal strikes metal. Id say that this needle was intercepted by another weapon of some sort.
    Leng Xiao Han also examined the needle. Chief Liu didnt have a weapon. This leads me to believe that there had to be at least two people present in the garden in addition to Chief Liu.
    I agree. But who?
    Leng Xiao Han put the needle fragment back into the envelope. I doubt well be able to learn that from a scuff on the needle. What about these? He placed the two flowers on the table. I think this is my last clue left.
    Xu Cheng looked at them closely. He shook his head. Ive never heard of any flower like this. Of course, Im not exactly the type of person who knows a lot about flowers.
    If only Wen Xuan were here. She
    knows a lot of things.
    The two men drank more wine. And then some more.
    ~~~
    Leng Xiao Han walked back slowly from the dock, his head swimming. He missed his friend. All his 63 variations had done nothing to help her. A fat, nasty man had outsmarted them both.
    As he walked through the center of the city, the sun set slowly behind him. He was about to turn a corner when something caught his eye. On the other side of the street was a florist shop. There was a picture in the window.
    Of a flower with blue and red petals!
    Instantly, his head cleared. He walked across the street and banged on the door. It opened.
    Inside was the Herb Drinker!
    The Herb Drinker reached out and grabbed Leng Xiao Hans robe and dragged him into the shop. He slammed the door.
    What are you doing here!? the Herb Drinker asked.
    I could ask the same of you! I thought you were dead.
    It doesnt matter, theres no time. Take this. He shoved a rolled scroll into Leng Xiao Hans hand.
    What is it?
    No time. Go out the back. Dont follow me, whatever you do.
    The door slammed again as the Herb Drinker ran out into the street. Leng Xiao Han was about to follow him when he heard a shout. His investigators skills took over. Instead of rushing out into the street, he looked through a crack in the door.
    The Herb Drinker was fighting a man. A man in black robes. And a white mask!
    Leng Xiao Han wanted to go help the Herb Drinker, but remembered the mans parting words. Dont follow me, whatever you do. Stuffing the scroll into his robe and dashed out the back of the shop.