Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Qin Empire- Hou Yang, Wang Zhi Fei, Gao Yuan Yuan

The ending sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Surferket View Post
    The ending sucks.
    Why so? I find it quite nicely done, albeit more exaggerated and perhaps less gruesome than what was reported to have happened historically.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

GYY and her lover died. He was the man who built the system for a stable and unified China.
    And evil truimphed.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    Why so? I find it quite nicely done, albeit more exaggerated and perhaps less gruesome than what was reported to have happened historically.

GYY and her lover died. He was the man who built the system for a stable and unified China.
    And evil truimphed.
    Well can't possible change history with Shang Yang escaping death... anyway King Qin Hui Wen retained the policies of SY and made State of Qin as comparable with Wei & Chu whom were the strongest at the time.

I was not impressed with the Qin Shi Wan when he was a young prince and later when he became king. He knew he was being manipulated by the senior statesman to execute Shang Yang on trumped up charges of rebellion and yet he was powerless to prevent being so forced.

Reminded me very much of the Qin Shi Wan in Heroes when he was forced by state rules to execute Jet Li when his heart was in letting him live.

PS - I was very surprised when the show ended with the death of Shang Yang. I'd not expected the whole series to be about the father of Qin Shi Wan and Shang Yang the architect of Qin renaissance.
    Last edited by Surferket; 03-11-09 at 09:15 AM.

The King at the end (King Huiwen) is not Qin Shi Huang. QSH is actually his descendant some generations later.

The series actually portrays King Huiwen's treatment of Shang Yang in a more positive light as compared to what was recorded in history:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huiwen_of_Qin

As for the focus of this series, I've mentioned in the first post that:

"The Qin Empire" is the screen adaptation of "Hei Se Lie Bian", the first of six stories which in total, make up Sun Hao Hui's historial novel, "Da Qin Di Guo".

Hei Se Lie Bian (this series) takes place during the warring states period and focuses on the reforms instilled by Qin's Chief Advisor, Shang Yang.

At this point in time, Qin state was still weak and building up its powers. It is only generations later that the kingdom grew stronger and was finally used by Qin Shi Huang to unite the other states and proclaim himself Emperor.

Wise Fool

My Chinese history sux.

Seems by the time Shang Yang was executed Qin was already the strongest in terms of economy and military that other states have to pledge peace to it.

Sunny, I looked at your wiki link and the English is pretty weird:

"King Qin Huiwen also played a major role in the unification of Qin Shi Huang. "
    ??????? reunified his grandson?

The wikis on Red Cliffs were worse

BTW, although the GYY character in this series is supposed to be skilled in swordsmanship I did not see her actually fight with a sword.

Sunny, I looked at your wiki link and the English is pretty weird:

"King Qin Huiwen also played a major role in the unification of Qin Shi Huang. "
    ??????? reunified his grandson?
    I think the poster meant King Huiwen also played a major role in the unification of China by QSH. Meaning that although QSH was the one who ultimately unified the states, the beginnings of the process and the progress of Qin was started generations ago and King Huiwen was one of the major contributors to this process. So was Shang Yang.

BTW, although the GYY character in this series is supposed to be skilled in swordsmanship I did not see her actually fight with a sword.
    Actually she did fight in one scene. Can't remember which episode exactly but it was when Shang Yang visited her and their son for the first time after years of separation and while they were chatting alone, a group of assassins turned up for Shang Yang. Bai Xue (GYY) took the soft blade sword (which she was originally hers but had given to Shang Yang) and dueled with the assassins.

Wise Fool

I have a short review on this historical drama series up on my site at http://www.asiamovies-tvshows.com with clips.
    On the whole I find it very engrossing although saddened at the ending. I think this series grossed over the extremity of penalties under Shang Yang's reformation.
    Worth watching if you like Chinese historical based dramas.

GYY is a magnificent actress but I can't stomach the fact she never gets a happy ending.

Watching the series now, this has to be one of the best Chinese historical drama ever.

I would put the series on an equal footing as Han Wu Da Di and Toward the Republic.

Very very high production value
    http://www.wuxiasociety.org/forum (Your gateway to the global wuxia discussion on web)

The picture quality is absolutely wonderful on HD TV

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3150/2719281567_815925e432.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://blog.roodo.com/heart1025/600821fd.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.dajieju.com/juqing/UploadPic/2007-4/20074124262408.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.77bu.com/uploads/allimg/081218/2151330.jpg')
    http://www.wuxiasociety.org/forum (Your gateway to the global wuxia discussion on web)

anyone's watching this great series ?

Default Subtitles needed, PLEASE

Hi, everyone.
    I've downloaded the series, however I don't know the language, and I'd like to find English subtitles, if any.
    Please, please help!

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by kenixgoh View Post
    Uploading on sendspace, each eps. about 180mb X 51......
    Can you please pm me the link? Thank you. T___T..

The Chinese drama, the Qin dynasty is really good. The ending does not suck.

The drama does not suck like those 2 hour Hollywood movies, Terminator 2015 sucks!! The beginning and middle of the Terminators sucks more! -thoseugly and fat caucasian pin up women, half naked or naked, with digital enhanced breasts that suck worst, digitally reduced shoulders, waists and thighs.
    Last edited by ChunMayWong; 10-12-15 at 11:48 AM.

Please not the fact that Qin belongs to Qin Shi Huang who ruled as the First Emperor of the Qin dynasty from 220 to 210 BC. It is called the Qin empire because that was the family name of Qin Shi Huang and later, other emperors used this family name to pay respects to Qin Shi Huang.

Compared to ancient China and the 5000 year or longer history, the unrelated Roman empire did NOT rule other countries. Supporters of the Roman empire are jealous and racist of that Chinese Asian girls in the Qin dynasty, the ones who were loyal to their own country, have more beautiful and slender figures and nicer faces. Our Qin dynasty history does not belong to the western historians. Those Roman women look very ugly and fat, the ones that wrongfully badmouth first our great country of China.

You caucasian people, the people from the US are mean and not nice when you swear and write "fu*#@!!!"on the internet and you wrongfully badmouth various Chinese men and Asian Chinese women in those dynasties. The Qin dynasty did not crumble the way you made it sound and this great dynasty was succeeded by many other ancient Chinese dynasties that are really good.

"Mrbsct", You are not correct that the Chinese had great respect for the Roman empire and that is backwards. It is the Roman empire that had great respect for the Chinese empire. Many Chinese scholars were much smarter than the stupid Roman barbarians.

The majority of Asian Chinese men and Chinese women did not like and hated the Roman empire for trying to impose themselves and trying to steal countries that do not belong to greedy Europe.

The amazing accomplishments of the first emperor of China who built the great wall are 10,000 times more awesome than the Roman empire You should know that Chinese martial arts and kungfu came from Shaolin and there is a lot of evidence to prove that Chinese martial arts are way better than the fat and bulky Roman warriors who were not as skilful. Have you not heard of the awesome Art of War (from China) which is used in current and modern times and respected and used by western people in the army and military?

Romans who were common people were not honest and many Romans were liars. "Mrbsct", that is your opinion which is not reasonable when you write that "DaQin" was gifted (no) to the unrelated Roman empire. Romans were NOT "honest" (no) Romans and not a fact versus the time period of over 1500 years ago is a fact but honest or liars is your opinion. It does not matter if the evil barbarian Roman warriors may be tall men. Many Roman warriors were bulky, hairy and not tall. Also, the Roman warriors killed each other when drunk, slept with ugly Roman prostitutes and are not worthy of respect. On the other hand, the great Terracotta warriors were tall or medium tall and various Chinese men more handsome.
    Last edited by ChunMayWong; 10-12-15 at 11:44 AM.