Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Little Nyonya 小娘惹

Watched several episodes in JB while attending a friend's wedding - enough to piqued my curiosity as my friends were raving over the series.

I prefer the earlier 8 episodes where the storyline revolve around Juxiang and Yousuke (with some good old romance and doomed lovers plot). I got bored in episode 25 onwards - honestly I don't bother if Yue Niang will end up with Chen Xi or not anymore.

However I do want to watch the ending where the baddies get their retribution (they better be!). Especially the women in Huang family
    Last edited by sehseh; 01-03-09 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    The dad is just a useless man. You can really tell that he doesn't care for his daughter at all, and it's just so sad the way her family condemned her life. Her mother was the only one who cared, but too bad she did not go to Singapore... if she did, she would have insisted to get Yuzhu back to the Huang family.
    The worse person in the family has probably gotta be Zhenzhu (is that her name?). I can't believe how she could watch her own sister get raped and do nothing about it!
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    The worse person in the family has probably gotta be Zhenzhu (is that her name?). I can't believe how she could watch her own sister get raped and do nothing about it!
    Yes, that's Zhenzhu. The worst is that she keeps going on how Yuzhu deserved to get raped. Jealousy and craziness at its peak, if you ask me.

What's the surprise? She didn't hesitate to pour hot oil on her sister's hand just because she's jealous of her cooking abilities - and it's just a practice lesson.

Probably inherited insane genes from her aunt Mei Yu.

This series has a lot of those classical villains - jealous and bad to the bones but no one stops them.

One big loophole in the series though - How can Yue Niang walk all the way from Singapore to Melaka? She's just 6/7 years old right? The series made it seems like a short trip to the village store.

Quote Originally Posted by sehseh View Post
    What's the surprise? She didn't hesitate to pour hot oil on her sister's hand just because she's jealous of her cooking abilities - and it's just a practice lesson.

This series has a lot of those classical villains - jealous and bad to the bones but no one stops them.

One big loophole in the series though - How can Yue Niang walk all the way from Singapore to Melaka? She's just 6/7 years old right? The series made it seems like a short trip to the village store.
    Yeah, read of that loophole before. Kind of funny.

The insane genes more of came from her grandma who spreads it down to Meiyu.

And the men in the show are kinda weak and useless, especially those in the Huang family. Robert would have been great if he wasn't a psychopath, and I'd have to say he's close to 100-percent right about how cheap the Huang family is.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 01-04-09 at 08:37 AM.

Yeah, read of that loophole before. Kind of funny.

The insane genes more of came from her grandma who spreads it down to Meiyu.

And the men in the show are kinda weak and useless, especially those in the Huang family. Robert would have been great if he wasn't a psychopath, and I'd have to say he's close to 100-percent right about how cheap the Huang family is.
    Robert is portrayed by Zzen Zhang right? He kinda overacted, especially his angry look. He's good looking, wonder why he always portrayed villains in series.

I prefer Jeanette portrayal of Ju Xiang over Yue Niang. Maybe because Ju Xiang has no dialogue, she can concentrate on her facial expression and body language.

I prefer Jeanette portrayal of Ju Xiang over Yue Niang. Maybe because Ju Xiang has no dialogue, she can concentrate on her facial expression and body language.
    It seems like most people prefer JX to YN just because JX was a mute. Apparently, alot of people hate the way Jeanette speaks and hence, were more acceptable and tolerant of her performance for JX.

Wise Fool

Yes, that's Zhenzhu. The worst is that she keeps going on how Yuzhu deserved to get raped. Jealousy and craziness at its peak, if you ask me.
    Gee, I didn't watch those scenes. What an evil lady.

Mei Yu is acted by Apple Hong right? Why was she insane? Thought she seems quite okay in the latter episodes.

Yeah, an annoying characteristic of MC dramas.

Wise Fool

Robert is portrayed by Zzen Zhang right? He kinda overacted, especially his angry look. He's good looking, wonder why he always portrayed villains in series.
    Probably because he always has an angry look.

It seems like most people prefer JX to YN just because JX was a mute. Apparently, alot of people hate the way Jeanette speaks and hence, were more acceptable and tolerant of her performance for JX.
    Personally, I prefer Yueniang over Juxiang precisely because the former can talk, which allows the character to be made more interesting. For one thing, we don't have to wait for translation of her hand signals. I'm referring here to the character and her associated scenes though, not the acting.

As for the actress, apart from the talking, I personally couldn't see much difference in Jeanette's portrayal of the two characters. But I agree that her voice isn't very pleasant, so I can understand why some people would prefer her portrayal of Juxiang over that of Yueniang.

Yeah, an annoying characteristic of MC dramas.
    Actually, I thought such out-and-out villainy is pretty rare in Mediacorp dramas, especially nowadays. In the previous two 9 PM shows By My Side and Crime Busters x2, the villains were aggrieved characters while in The Defining Moment, the prime villain suffered from an unusual affliction. And of course the drama in between, Nanny Daddy, didn't even have real villains.

I'd agree, though, that the so-called "classical villain" can become annoying if overused. The temptation to use such a character is great because it allows the script to easily generate the greatest amount of tension in the least amount of screen time. I guess that's why it's become "classical".
    Last edited by Leonidas; 01-04-09 at 08:47 PM.

Mei Yu is acted by Apple Hong right? Why was she insane? Thought she seems quite okay in the latter episodes.
    Zhenzhu accidentally shoved Yueniang into a well before. At that time, Zhenzhu wasn't quite an evil bi@tch yet. She actually wanted to save Yueniang (maybe also as a way to save herself - she wasn't prepared to kill someone), but then Meiyu sauntered in and blocked the well, encouraging Zhenzhu to just leave Yueniang to rot in there.

Not sure if Meiyu was on good terms with Juxiang before, but she 'blew up' when she found out the man she loved, Chen Sheng, was in love with Juxiang. Plus with years of frustration (her husband Chen Sheng never treated her right) and Yueniang's resemblance of her mother, it was no wonder that Meiyu hated her as well and would want her dead.

Zhenzhu seems to be the most hated character for me at the moment. She's so desperate to get married into Chen family that she

click to show/hide spoilers
    order family servants to rape Yue Niang as 'revenge' for Yuzhu.

What an insanely evil woman. Certainly received 真传 from her aunt Mei Yu, whom also received murder lessons from that old hag Gui Hua.

In some way I despise Tian Lan, who always teach her daughter and grand-daughter to accept 'fate' and that they are lowly servants. At least Ju Xiang dared to choose her own true love and destiny to be with Yousuke, unlike Yue Niang who actually gave up on Chen Xi many times because of Tian Lan 'teachings'.

Not sure if Meiyu was on good terms with Juxiang before, but she 'blew up' when she found out the man she loved, Chen Sheng, was in love with Juxiang. Plus with years of frustration (her husband Chen Sheng never treated her right) and Yueniang's resemblance of her mother, it was no wonder that Meiyu hated her as well and would want her dead.
    I won't say they are on good terms but certainly not hostile. Mei Yu did hesitate when Xiu Juan and Xiu Feng gang up to prank on Ju Xiang and also when her mother switched her beaded sewings with Ju Xiang. Unlike her cousins, she actually admitted that Ju Xiang cooking and sewings are better than hers.

It was years of neglect from her husband Chen Sheng that her pent up rage finally exploded on the ship to England. Chen Sheng has to be blamed too, as he is too weak to go against his grandma.

Zhenzhu seems to be the most hated character for me at the moment. She's so desperate to get married into Chen family that she

click to show/hide spoilers
    order family servants to rape Yue Niang as 'revenge' for Yuzhu.

What an insanely evil woman. Certainly received 真传 from her aunt Mei Yu, whom also received murder lessons from that old hag Gui Hua.

In some way I despise Tian Lan, who always teach her daughter and grand-daughter to accept 'fate' and that they are lowly servants. At least Ju Xiang dared to choose her own true love and destiny to be with Yousuke, unlike Yue Niang who actually gave up on Chen Xi many times because of Tian Lan 'teachings'.
    Wow about your first line in the spoiler tag. I only saw that part from the episode preview on TV and I thought it was actually Xiufeng who instigated it? It would be really nasty of Zhenzhu too, given that her decision at that one crucial point could have changed Yuzhu's entire life. And Guihua really taught Meiyu to do that?

Did Yueniang really give up because of Chen Xi's status, or did she give up because of Yuzhu? Won't it make more sense if she gave up on him due to Yuzhu, especially in the later parts, because Yuzhu was raped while trying to help them.

I won't say they are on good terms but certainly not hostile. Mei Yu did hesitate when Xiu Juan and Xiu Feng gang up to prank on Ju Xiang and also when her mother switched her beaded sewings with Ju Xiang. Unlike her cousins, she actually admitted that Ju Xiang cooking and sewings are better than hers.

It was years of neglect from her husband Chen Sheng that her pent up rage finally exploded on the ship to England. Chen Sheng has to be blamed too, as he is too weak to go against his grandma.
    So what happened? Meiyu really pushed Juxiang off the ship?

Wow about your first line in the spoiler tag. I only saw that part from the episode preview on TV and I thought it was actually Xiufeng who instigated it? It would be really nasty of Zhenzhu too, given that her decision at that one crucial point could have changed Yuzhu's entire life. And Guihua really taught Meiyu to do that?
    No, Guihua did not teach Mei Yu that. My mean of 真传 refers to their insane genes However, Gui Hua did mention that the best way to destroy Yue Niang is to mar her chastity. I think Xiu Juan flamed it further to Zhenzhu because she wanted revenge toward both her sister and Ju Xiang (in the past she did not help her to get married to Jin Cheng)

Did Yueniang really give up because of Chen Xi's status, or did she give up because of Yuzhu? Won't it make more sense if she gave up on him due to Yuzhu, especially in the later parts, because Yuzhu was raped while trying to help them.

So what happened? Meiyu really pushed Juxiang off the ship?
    I think both. Her giving up on Chen Xi for the last two time was because of Yu Zhu (after her incident with Robert Zhang). However prior to that she already gave up Chen Xi a few times. Partially was due to Yuzhu but I feel that it's more influence by her feeling of inferiority, especially when she ran away from Chen home in Singapore. Chen Xi was so brave to admit his feelings for her in front of Huang family, but she... aiks, that's why I said I don't bother whether they will end up or not because I think her 'sacrifice' is useless. Hope Chen Xi will end up with Libby as per rumored.

And poor Yuzhu, sacrificed for nothing and ending up with that psycho Robert.

Gui Hua threw the 7 year old Yue Niang overboard. Mei Hua helped her mother to throw Ju Xiang. She was of course scared like Zhenzhu during the well incident but everyone gotta be scared at their 1st taste of murder, don't they?

Don't forget, Mei Yu and her mother hired people to get rid off Ju Xiang and daughter when she found out that Chen Sheng is seeing them.
    Last edited by sehseh; 01-05-09 at 12:03 AM.

Guihua is such a bad influence so I'm not surprised that Zhenzhu and Tianbao turned out to be crap.

Yuzhu IMO is a gift to the Huang family but then they had to screw her up too.

Don't forget, Mei Yu and her mother hired people to get rid off Ju Xiang and daughter when she found out that Chen Sheng is seeing them.
    I only started watching from the parts when the Huang family returned from England.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 01-05-09 at 12:17 AM.

In today's finale, its quite explicitly stated that she gave Chen Xi up (i.e. never let him know she was still alive) because she felt too much guilt towards Yuzhu.

I really feel quite sad for Yuzhu. Although Chen Xi and Yueniang did not end up together, at least they went on to live rather blissful lives while Yuzhu probably just died in a miserable and lonely state. Something which she so did not deserved.

BTW, I was shocked when I saw an elderly-looking Zzen Zhang towards the end. For a moment I thought it was Robert Zhang until it dawned on me that it was actually Zuye. Seriously dont get why they like to use the same actors and actresses to play the same roles for mother/daughter/grandaughter and father/son/grandfather. It would be quite entertaining if they had cast Joanne Peh as Anqi as well though it would probably have given the story away right from the start.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 01-05-09 at 01:10 PM.

Wise Fool

Haha yeah. She also rejected him to protect him and his family.

But it's a little disappointing that they did not mention how Zhenzhu ended up to be, though I guess it's because Yueniang had no idea what happened to her. Meiyu I guess she continued to live well with the Chen family.

And I really like that picture of Juxiang holding the kamcheng.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 01-05-09 at 07:36 PM.

I think this show despite all it's drama and conflicts and good storyline, has a hidden message to all young people of all races:

Remember what you are.... your roots. You know after seeing Little Nyonya. I had a unsuppressed urge to relearn my chinese once again like in remembering your roots.

Thumbs up

Just finished this series. I really enjoyed this series. Interesting theme and story line. Not really familiar with Spore actors and actress but thought that main characters did a good job. Did stir up my interest in looking back my roots!
    By the way has anyone got the theme songs and the songs in this series??

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Low View Post
    By the way has anyone got the theme songs and the songs in this series??
    The theme song can be downloaded for a fee at soundbuzz.com. Less-than-perfect versions of the theme and sub-theme songs (for this as well as other Mediacorp serials) are available here.