Thread: MS Word Page Numbering

Default MS Word Page Numbering

Question:

How do you make it so the first two pages is numbered like i and ii and then when the actual paper begins the page numbers are 1,2, 3, etc?

I'm trying to write a APA style format paper and it's slightly different from the MLA style format.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Nevermind. I figured it by looking at the MS office website.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I never use the auto page numbering because it tends to not do quite *exactly* what you want it to do. I always input the page numbers manually.

It's slower and requires a little more work, but I get exactly what I want.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I never use the auto page numbering because it tends to not do quite *exactly* what you want it to do. I always input the page numbers manually.

It's slower and requires a little more work, but I get exactly what I want.
    Haha, you shouldn't do that Ken. That's ok if you only have a couple of pages in your document. What if you got like more than hundred and you need to maintain the index and table of contents (TOC) which show all the page number according to section etc.

Did you do your TOC manually? What if you delete some text and the page number change. It will be a pain to edit manually your TOC after that.
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 11-26-08 at 01:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208 View Post
    Haha, you shouldn't do that Ken. That's ok if you only have a couple of pages in your document. What if you got like more than hundred and you need to maintain the index and table of contents (TOC) which show all the page number according to section etc.
    Other than my GUNDAM fanfic, which doesn't need to be page numbered, I never compose anything long enough to make that a concern.

My beef with the auto page numbering device is that it never puts the correct numbers on the correct pages. You intend one thing, but the program insists on doing something else.

I'm too much of a control freak to surrender that much control to the machine.

Did you do your TOC manually? What if you delete some text and the page number change. It will be a pain to edit manually your TOC after that.
    It takes time and patience (and an eye for detail), but to me, it's preferable because control over the final outcome is in my hands, not the software's.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    It takes time and patience (and an eye for detail), but to me, it's preferable because control over the final outcome is in my hands, not the software's.
    Hahaha, I do that myself when I wrote my final year project report for my BSc, it's just a total pain. Now I'm using LATEX for most of my papers or documents.
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 11-26-08 at 04:59 AM.