Thread: Huang Rong's Recipes

Default Huang Rong's Recipes

Probably all Chinese links but does anyone have translations of HR's recipes? I want to do wuxia themed dinner party one of these days.

i.e. - 3 lbs smoked beef with a jug of Lui Er Hong and man tou

And no fried centipede recipes, maybe I'll do Drunken Chicken.

It's HYS's recipes btw. HR just knows how to follow them.

They are really complicated, and I doubt they taste as good as it sounds.
    The two dishes she did, one was a soup and the other was a meat dish.

Each meat piece had 5 different meats combined. Hare thighs, veal, pork kidney, pork ears and rabbit meat rolled into one. Sounds like a lot of effort.

Soup had cherries, bamboo shoots, lotus leaves, flower petals I think.

Default The Chinese Laundry

I agree with yittz. In general, Huang Rong's signature dishes in She Diao suggest that Jinyong probably knows as little about real cooking as he does about real fighting. The three main ones are:

"Who Hears the Falling Plum in the Jade Flute?"
    - flutes of baby lamb rump, piglet's ear, calf's kidney, minced deer leg, and rabbit.

"Fine Accompaniment Soup"
    - dark green broth, with lotus leaves, turtledove-stuffed cherries, pink flower petals, and baby bamboo shoot tips.

"24 Bridges in the Clear Moonlight"
    - steamed spheres of doufu, cooked in pockets hollowed out inside a ham.

Actually, the last one sounds like it might be interesting.

Elsewhere in the novel, HR cooks:

- a slab of beef wrapped in wet mud (the first meal she ever cooked for Guo Jing);
    - the famous Beggar's Chicken (a fat rooster stolen from a farmhouse, gutted and washed but with the feathers still on, wrapped in wet mud and roasted over a fire);
    - a 'picnic' for GJ and Hong Qigong while they're training: smoked leg of frog, 'Eight-Treasure Duck', and a roll of snowy-white 'silver vermicelli';
    - a dinner of sauteed hearts of baicai, with chicken oil and shredded duck feet; and
    - chicken stewed with 'koumo' mushroom (GJ's favourite!).

This stuff isn't very "She Diao", but it'd probably actually taste nice.

Quote Originally Posted by owbjhx View Post
    I agree with yittz. In general, Huang Rong's signature dishes in She Diao suggest that Jinyong probably knows as little about real cooking as he does about real fighting. The three main ones are:

- flutes of baby lamb rump, piglet's ear, calf's kidney, minced deer leg, and rabbit.

- dark green broth, with lotus leaves, turtledove-stuffed cherries, pink flower petals, and baby bamboo shoot tips.

- a slab of beef wrapped in wet mud (the first meal she ever cooked for Guo Jing);
    - the famous Beggar's Chicken (a fat rooster stolen from a farmhouse, gutted and washed but with the feathers still on, wrapped in wet mud and roasted over a fire);
    - a 'picnic' for GJ and Hong Qigong while they're training: smoked leg of frog, 'Eight-Treasure Duck', and a roll of snowy-white 'silver vermicelli';
    - a dinner of sauteed hearts of baicai, with chicken oil and shredded duck feet; and

Just goes to show how good my chinese is and how quickly my memory fades. Btw the 3rd dish is actually real. My HK friend said in some restaurants they do flavour tofu with ham, then chuck the ham away. Good to see you grace this forum again.

That must taste better than the description makes it sound.

I have eaten freshly shot Ruffed Grouse, gutted, wrapped in river bank clay with the feathers on and buried in wood embers covered with dirt and left over night. Very tender and delicious..

Thanks! I don't think I'll be able to execute #1 due to food costs, might need to substitute #2's green broth with chicken broth or vegetable consume, I think I can do #3 - it sounds pretty good.

One of the Hong Kong Travel shows demonstrated Beggar's Chicken - looked really good. Involved stuffing marinated chicken with sticky rice, sausage, mushrooms, wrap chicken with lotus leafs, cover in cooking clay (don't know where to get that) then baking in oven.
    Last edited by smurf120; 12-02-08 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    One of the Hong Kong Travel shows demonstrated Beggar's Chicken - looked really good. Involved stuffing marinated chicken with sticky rice, sausage, mushrooms, wrap chicken with lotus leafs, cover in cooking clay (don't know where to get that) then baking in oven.
    You can make "cooking clay" by mixing ordinary flour, a bit of salt and water into a dough.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Thanks! I don't think I'll be able to execute #1 due to food costs, might need to substitute #2's green broth with chicken broth or vegetable consume, I think I can do #3 - it sounds pretty good.

That sounds pretty interesting to make.. do you have the full recipe? may try to make it soon.

I don't think I can find the exact video of the Cantonese recipe, but here is a close second:

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-...eggars-chicken

Here is closer recipe to what I saw on TVB, except they used some kind of mud only found in that region but I think HuangYushi's suggestion should be fine since the lotus leaves would provide so much flavoring:

http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/...s_chicken.html

I can't wait to make the whole feast! I'll try to post the whole menu soon - maybe I'll do this for Chinese New Years.

Going to attempt Beggar's Chicken soon! Hoping to channel the spirit of H7G.

All of the websites I looked through have greatly varying advice on the temperature and times to cook the chicken (4 lb).

Including:

400 F for 1 1/2 hours

350 F for 1 hour, then 325 F for 3 hours

325 F or 350 F for 4 hours
    ----------------------------

I am going to be overly ambition and try this for a dinner party on a week day with 6 lb chicken. Seeing that the fabled recipe called for burying the chicken in embers overnight, would it be possible if I get everything ready and set the oven to 300 F and cook for 8 hours instead?

Good luck, and show us your progress with photos.

It will be fun.

HAn Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Default Beggar's Chicken

After just coming back from Hang Zhou and eating Beggar's Chicken in Lou Wai Lou by Xi Hu, I have to say, it was a waste of money. The chicken tasted pretty bland and the portion was pathetic to say the least.

Hope you have success in your chicken, I wasted 150 yuan for mine .

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/2716/img0086lva.jpg')

Going to attempt Beggar's Chicken soon! Hoping to channel the spirit of H7G.

All of the websites I looked through have greatly varying advice on the temperature and times to cook the chicken (4 lb).

Including:

400 F for 1 1/2 hours

350 F for 1 hour, then 325 F for 3 hours

325 F or 350 F for 4 hours
    ----------------------------

I am going to be overly ambition and try this for a dinner party on a week day with 6 lb chicken. Seeing that the fabled recipe called for burying the chicken in embers overnight, would it be possible if I get everything ready and set the oven to 300 F and cook for 8 hours instead?

Get a meat thermometer, the kind with a digital reader and cook it to the desired temperature, I think it is 185F

So its done! Turned out pretty good - although I can already name a few areas to improve the recipe. I couldn't start cooking until I got off work today so I opted for 425 F (convection oven) for 2 hours, then let it sit for 45 minutes (we were watching movie) before breaking the shell.

Beggar's chicken is huge misnomer for the recipes you can find online because most "beggar" will try lots of trouble getting all the ingredients (and I totally improvised).

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/picture.php?albumid=180&pictureid=2187')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/picture.php?albumid=180&pictureid=2188')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/picture.php?albumid=180&pictureid=2189')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/picture.php?albumid=180&pictureid=2190')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/picture.php?albumid=180&pictureid=2191')

smurf, your chicken looks awesome! How did it taste?

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty Bob View Post
    After just coming back from Hang Zhou and eating Beggar's Chicken in Lou Wai Lou by Xi Hu, I have to say, it was a waste of money. The chicken tasted pretty bland and the portion was pathetic to say the least.

Hope you have success in your chicken, I wasted 150 yuan for mine .

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/2716/img0086lva.jpg')
    Lou Wai Lou's prices are usually pretty jacked up due to it's "once upon" fame and it's location. Going there is asking to be ripped off .

on a side note, beggar's chickens are usually pretty small, otherwise, it'll be harder to cook thoroughly (restaurants don't have that much time).

As for the flavoring, maybe Lou Wai Lou doesn't do a good job. The one I had was pretty tasty (and it was only 60 yuan).

Good luck next time.

The chicken meat was very tender, practically falling off the bones. Next time I would salt the chicken a bit more in the marinade and try to use fresh chicken. I thought I over spiced the stuffing but it turned out perfect very flavorful.

I used a 5 lb fryer and cooked 425 F for 2 hours and rested for 30 minutes before we broke the shell. The chicken cooked through very thoroughly, not dry at all.

Really fun dish to have company over!

ahhaha...ya most of the food HR was cooking in LOCH sounded like crap...doubt it would translate over well into RL...
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

next up I want to try a modified version of 24 Moons over Bridges (the tofu/ham) as the book description seems to be a horrible waste of ham. Need to go buy a steamer...

Also want to make braised beef shank to serve with Chinese white liquor. This is probably too "common" for HR tastes but always wanted to answer the call of:

"Xiao Er, give me 5 gan of beef and 1 ching Lui Er Xiong and chow di xiao choy"

my butchered wuxia chinglish.