Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Xia ke xing: Chapter 10 onwards...Take 2

At times I over-simplify things more for my convienience than the readers
    The original characters are probably these: 把闷香点 (actually I struggle to understand even a single character...for me these are just horizontal & vertical gibberish)

Perhaps someone can suggest a better word....

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Fragrant morphine = opium?

Morphine was first extracted in 1804, and sold in 1817 in Germany.

I think that this story was set in Ming Dynasty, not Ching Dynasty.

Han Solo
    P/s: Thanks for translation
    P/p/s: Hell hath no fury like a Ding Dang on a mission.

abhay,

reading your translations for this story is addicting like the fragrant morphine, but it doesn't make me feel sleepy at all, rather, i am awake and always waiting for my next dose of your translations!!

thanks a lot, your efforts are appreciated----

more please!!!

I suspect "poppy smoke" might be closer. Or Hashish. After all, hashish was in use a loooong time before the 1800s

Thank you again for this translation!!!!

Not very literary but it should translate as "anaesthetic incense" or may be "sedative incense". Can anyone come up with a more elegant translation.

how about aromatic inhalant or aromatic intoxicants?

is this discussion getting scientific or what?

I think incense is the right term for the substance, I just think a more elegant term for anaesthetic/sedative would be nicer. Actually I think sedative is not too bad.

He slightly hesitated and then leapt forward in to that room immediately and pushed the window to enter the room. In that room there was still the some odor of sedated incense so he moved quickly to open the window and let some fresh air in the room.
    He only heard the sound of the distant hoof beats and thought that Dingdang and Shi Zhong Yu are leaving now.
    He thought in his heart: “Where will they go now? Will Dingdang be happy with him? I am so awkward in front of her and can’t even speak properly and anyway she is frequently annoyed and angry with me.”

He stood at the window for a long time; there was a gradual painful in his throat so he moved to his bed and lied down immediately.

The ointment Dingdang put on his throat was really effective and by dawn Shi Potian had severe pain in his throat. He put out his hand to trace the pain and felt that a large lump on his throat and he felt a burning sensation. He thought that it might be time that someone will wake up so he is scratched his throat to clean up that ointment and then reversed the cover of the quilt so that no one can see any trace of that ointment.

After some time he groaned as taught by Dingdang, he thought that this is actually a good strategy. Once they will wake up then will pay attention towards his sore throat and even if they feel dizziness than their attention will be diverted to his pain and probably won’t investigate.

He groaned for some time, Shi Qing woke up and asked: “What's wrong?” His voice was filled with irritation and anger. Min Rou stood up from bed and said: “Yu’er, are you feeling uncomfortable?”

She did not wait for Shi Potian to reply, then throws on her outer robe and went to him. She touched him and saw that his cheeks were hot as him in fire, his neck has neck swelled up, and she cannot help to restrain her and called out immediately: “Elder brother, Elder brother, you ......have a look!”

Shi Qing heard his wife crying and his heart filled with anxiousness, he jumped immediately and moved towards his son. He saw that his neck was totally inflamed and felt really uncomfortable in his heart, he said: “This is what happens when you live such an extravagant life, now be ready to face the consequences.”

Min Rou asked: “Is it painful?”
    Shi Potian groaned several times but did not dare to open the mouth to speak, he thought: “I have to disguise carefully and can’t speak at all or they will recognize me. These people care a lot about Shi Zhong Yu, although he has made many misdemeanors, they still love him, ahhh….but actually there is no one who loves me.” His heart filled with bitter memories and he couldn’t restrain his tears.

Shi Qing, Min Rou saw him tears and thought that it’s really painful so they too got concerned. Shi Qing said: “I will find a doctor to take a look.”
    Min Rou said: “I am afraid you won’t find a doctor in this small town. Why don’t we return to Zhenjiang and ask Physician Bei to take a look, what do you say?”

Shi Qing shook his head and said: “No! No we can’t do that. Bai Wanjian will get suspicious and will think that we are trying to avoid going to Liao Xing city and secondly I don’t think Bei Haishi will be inexpensive.” He knew that Bei Haishi was very discontented with his son, perhaps will seize this opportunity to apply some drugs and even might injure him. He moved outside immediately.

Min Rou brought a bowl of hot soup and gave to Shi Potian to drink. This toxicant property of that ointment was really fierce. Once Dingdang applied that to his throat, his pharynx and larynx both swelled up from inside and outside. Shi Potian found it pretty difficult to even drink the soup. Min Rou was really startled.

Soon Shi Qing came back with an old Physician. That doctor had a look at his throat and then took his hand and checked his nerves, he shook his head continually and said: “His pharynx and larynx are really swelled up; it will be really difficult for him to eat or drink. It will be difficult to even give him the medicines. There is some kind of toxic elements in his blood. After that the old Physician started incessantly babbling about this nerve and that artery and so and so…

Shi Qing got irritated and said: “So tell me first, is my son going to live or there is some danger to his life.”
    That physician replied: “This brother has good luck that I am present in this small town at this moment of time, since I have examined him, his life is now safe but still it will be several days before he will recover fully and it won’t be easy.”

Shi Qing, Min Rou heard that his life was not in danger and felt relieved and asked that old person to prescribe the medicine. That doctor hesitated for a long time then opened a book of medicine and afterwards wrote a prescription of several herbs.

Shi Qing roughly understood the property of these herbs and knew that all these herbs were used in cleanse the toxicity from blood.
    He said to that old physician: “Wise, really excellent!” he then paid him some money and went to a medicine shop to buy the herbs.
    When Bai Wanjian heard that Shi Zhong Yu was ill and a physician came to visit him then he got suspicious. He suspected that Shi couple are planning to rescue their son so she visited their room to check if they are telling truth or not.

He saw that indeed this boy’s throat has really swelled up. Min Rou was really frightened and obviously this condition can’t be faked. Bai Wanjian actually felt self-satisfied in his heart and thought: “We are anyway taking this cunning boy to the Liao Xing city where he will put to death but you are actually suffering on this journey too…This definitely is divine intervention.” But as he looked at the Shi couple and their plight then he felt ashamed to that he is taking pleasure in others' misfortunes. He looked at them again and then withdrew quickly out of the room.

Shi Qing said to his wife who was preparing medicines for Shi Potian: “I have harnessed a large cart outside. Yu’er can travel in it until he is healthy again but this slight illness should not delay others important matters. We should move.”
    Min Rou hesitated and said: “Child is very ill and you want to start off immediately, I only fear......his illness will get more critical.”
    Shi Qing said: “The two envoys of Command of reward and punishment have said that they are going to the Liao Xing city to invite old Master Bai so his apprentices must rush promptly so they are there when 'Gentleman of Impressive Strength and Virtue' Bai Zizai will get rid of those two and can help one another. If we slow them down than it will be unfair to others.”

Min Rou nods saying: “Yes!”
    She helped Shi Potian to put on the clothing immediately and held him to go out of the inn.

She understood that plan of her husband that he was not willing sneak off their son secretly. He knew that the envoys of Island of heroes will deliver the invitation to Snow mountain sect. This person Bai Zizai is a very hot tempered, arrogant and egoistic. He will not receive the bronze medals easily and will fight inevitably with Zhang San and Li Si.
    Shi Qing wanted to rush promptly to Ling Xiao city and help the snow mountain sect to defeat those people. If he dies in battle than it is a routine for a person for in martial arts realm but if the three people from Shi family loses their life in defense of Snow mountain sect than at least they won’t suffer the infamy of their son but if they win unexpectedly, then also the snow mountain sect will be indebted to the Xuan Su manor and won’t hurt their son who has just helped them to fight the evil.

Min Rou has already seen these tow envoys in the hall of clan of eternal happiness. She knew that the martial art skills of Zhang San and Li Si are really extraordinary and so is their reputation. However how high is the martial art skill there is always a chance that someone will always make negligence and will make a mistake. If everyone is prepared to take this opportunity then who knows what might happen. Both of them traveled in the martial art realm together and she never opposed his will.

Shi Qing wanted to deliver their child to the Ling Xiao city so Min Rou could easily understand his thoughts even though she was not fully sure as this as this matter have direct implications on her son’s life but eventually she was a lady in the martial art world so she pondered over her husband's idea but didn’t opposed it.

cool...then settling for sedative incense for now.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    I think incense is the right term for the substance, I just think a more elegant term for anaesthetic/sedative would be nicer. Actually I think sedative is not too bad.

Bai Wanjian saw that the Shi couple are not waiting for their son to recover and are ready to travel despite his serious illness and really admired them from his heart.

In that small town, that physician gave Shi Potian medicines but inflammation in his throat didn’t come down much. The Shi couple were more concerned about his health and never suspected that he was not Shi Zhong Yu but is actually Shi Potian. Bai Wanjian and his fellow disciples never even gave a look towards him so naturally they didn’t know.

The facial expression of Shi Potian and Shi Zhong Yu was anyway similar and when he wore the magnificent clothing and personal adornments of Shi Zhong Yu, it was pretty difficult to distinguish. On top of that Shi Potian didn’t utter a single word and simply lied down in the large cart. There was indeed difference in the way they do things or manners but the Shi couple have not themselves met their son for years and didn’t knew much about his habits.

Some of the people from the group went ahead for the fear that Zhang San and Li Si are already ahead and they might be late to reach the Ling Xiao city so they did not dare get delayed on the road. By the time they reached Hunan, the swelling on the throat of Shi Potian has totally disappeared and he has abandoned the carriage and started riding the horse but he still was not speaking at all. Shi Qing took him to several doctors along the road but no one has a least bit clue and every one gave a different prognosis. Min Rou was really sad and several times she broke and started weeping incessantly.

After many days they arrived in western region. The snow mountain disciples were familiar with the way and the alleys in the mountains. They expected that Zhang San and Li Si might be quick but they don’t have much knowledge about this area and it will take some time so they will able to catch up them inevitably. On the other hand Shi Qing and Min Rou were worried that if they reach too early before the two envoys reach there. It’s possible that old master Bai might get angry once he see Yu’er and kill him immediately.
    They also thought that Zhang San and Li Si are really good and they also might arrive before they reach Ling Xiao city. It was an extremely difficult situation; they can’t arrive to that place too early and neither too late. The couple discussed in secret several times but obviously they couldn’t do anything about it. They left the entire situation to one's fate with resignation and agreed to take action as the opportunity is seen.

As the destination came close numerous people went upward, they were walking on the mountain ridge and the topography was getting higher and higher. That day in the afternoon, they saw several rows of big wooden cabins. Bai Wanjian inquired the guards about the situation in Ling Xiao city. The person guarding the carriages said that there were no new incidents that he knew of. They felt greatly relieved. In the evening all of them slept in those log cabin, next day early in the morning, they left their horses there only and climbed the mountain on foot. The mountain was really steep from that point onwards and it wasn’t possible to ride a horse. Several snow mountain disciples moved ahead and led them.

Shi Potian followed his parents but didn’t move ahead of them. Shi Qing and Min Rou saw him not tired at all and thought: “This child internal energy is good, in fact it’s comparable to us.” As they thought about this they also thought about their impending meeting with old master Bai and couldn’t help but to get concerned.
    By evening, they saw only a single mountain peak is shooting up to the sky and on the top there were several hundred building visible from this place.

Bai Wanjian said: “Master Shi, this is Ling Xiao city, Out-of-the-way place, actually a poor township.”

Shi Qing said: “It is majestically located and overlooking the hills, ‘Ling Xiao' (meaning: soaring to the clouds) these two characters are really worthy of the reputation.” He saw with his own eyes that a foggy cloudy rose and gradually covered the entire city. When numerous people reached at the foot of the hill, it was already dark. They were carrying lodging on their back and decided to spend their night there only. Everyone was full in spirit as they prepared the bed and spent the night.
    On the next morning, several people moved at the dawn only and started the journey. This part of the mountain was the steepest of all. Although these numerous people were martial art expert but still they have to actually wait twice to rest and eat as they reached halfway up the mountainside pavilion.

The sign of the Ling Xiao city was erected on gate and they saw the city wall about thirty feet high. The top of the wall was completely covered with snow and ice.

Shi Qing said: “master Bai, the top of the city wall is covered with snow and ice so it will really difficult for an outsider to get inside the city wall using iron hooks. It’s really impossible for even an army.”

Bai Wanjian said with a smile: “The founding fathers constructed this city to open the sect here about One hundred and seventy years ago. Actually no foreign enemy has attacked this place but in deep winter sometimes the common greedy person might make a sneak attack, then again he can’t enter the city.” Here, to protect the city, there is an ice ditch and a hanging bridge is hoisted high and it’s not laid down.

They heard an angry voice shouting loudly: “Who is turning up today? Who wants to come in?”

Someone replied: “Master Bai Wanjian and numerous other brothers from the sect are coming back.”

Bai Wanjian shouted: “Manor Master Shi Qing and Lady Min Rou are visiting too, lay down the hanging bridge quickly.”
    That person said: “Yes, yes!” But even after a long time, they did not see that the hanging bridge getting down.

Shi Qing saw that ice ditch and though that it is at least thirty feet wide and such a distance is obviously not that was easy to leap. Outside the common city wall has the moat, here climate is severely cold, in the moat the river water has formed the ice, but this ditch was dug really deep, nearby the ditch there were piece of ice in the wall, no matter a person or beast, if it falls then there is no way he can come out.

Geng Wanzhong, Wanjun and others shouted out repeatedly for the disciples who were defending the city to quickly open the door. Bai Wanjian saw that the situation is quite unusual and got worried that something might have happened in the city. He said in a low voice: “Numerous fellow-disciples are worried that those two have already arrived in the city.” As soon as he said these words they heard a loud sound and people got startled and cannot help but put out a hand to their sword hilt.

This was actually the rolling sound of the bridge and they saw that the hanging bridge coming down slowly. They saw a person coming out from the city, wearing a long white gown, the right sleeve tied up in his waistband; obviously this person was missing his right arm.

That person called out: “Manor-master Shi Qing and Lady Min Rou have arrived, infrequent visitors, infrequent visitors!”

we are really lucky to be getting these daily updates.... thanks abhay!! =)

what exactly does "单刀" translates to..

Quote Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
    short-hilted broadsword

http://www.nciku.com/search/zh/detail/单刀/7505

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

The first word translates as single, and the second word is dao, which is knife or sabre.

That person was “Wind and fire dragon” Feng Wanli. He came himself to greet the Shi couple personally. Shi Qing saw him without his arm and thought that he has lost his arm because of the deeds of his son and felt really bad in his heart. He moved ahead and said: “Brother Feng, we husband and wife are accompanied with my disobedient son who has committed crime against old master Bai and you.”

As he said these words he kneeled down and prostrated in front of him. He was a famous master in the martial art realm and since becoming famous, except when seeing elders and superiors he might have prostrated but never to a person of the same generation but Feng Wanli has lost his arm because of his son so he was really ashamed. Feng Wanli was also a famous master and was studying martial arts for more than twenty years but he has lost his right arm for one mistake of his disciple.

Min Rou saw her husband kneeling in front of Feng Wanli but her son was still standing in front of his teacher and was busy on his front piece, she too knelt down to pay her respect.

Shi Qing said: “Yu’er, he is your master, kowtow immediately!” Shi Potian was afraid that they might see through his deception so he looked towards Feng Wanli and immediately knelt down with a thumping sound.

The snow mountain sect disciples paid no attention to him all the way, at this moment when he kowtowed in front of Feng Wanli then they thought: “This boy now knows that his life is short so now he is kowtowing to beg for mercy but redemption might not be so easy.”

Feng Wanli actually said: “Master Shi, Madam Shi, Please don’t embarrass me.” and he too knelt down hurriedly to give them face.

After the Shi couple and Feng Wanli stood up, Shi Potian was still kneeling in front of them. Feng Wanli looked at him and said to Shi Qing: “Brother Shi, Madam Shi, we met at Mount Hengshan in the past, we are meeting again after about twelve years but you two still look as elegant as in the past. Although little brother is living in this out-of-the-way place in border region, still I know that you virtuous husband and wife are upholding justice in the martial arts realm and your reputation is getting bigger and bigger, we should celebrate your success.”

Shi Qing said: “My son has had been part of many improper conducts and have some unwarranted reputations. Today I see my worthy brother in this condition and I am seriously ashamed and feel have no face left in the martial art realm.”

Feng Wanli laughed and said: “Our generation is in the junction of morality and justice; we are indebted to you that you have not abandoned the path of righteousness. I offend you and then you offend me, how can be this good but we will concern about this matter later. You two have completed a very long and arduous journey, please come in the city and rest quickly.” Although Shi Potian knelt in front of them but Feng Wanli didn’t give any attention towards him.

Shi Qing and Feng Wanli entered the city immediately shoulder to shoulder. Min Rou looked towards Feng Wanli. She saw that even though he was speaking politely to them but from his face his hatred for their son was obvious and it was clear that he is not willing to forgive their son’s mistakes.

Bai Wanjian stood in the back and then asked a disciple who was standing at the city gate in a low voice: “Is old Master Bai fine? After we left the city, what happened in the city?”
    That disciple said: “Old Master......is ......is recently more hot-tempered. After you people left from the city, there was no accident as such….only ...only....”
    Bai Wanjian got worried and asked: “tell me what happened?”

That disciple got frightened and said: “Five days ago, the old master got really angry and killed the elder brothers from Lu and Su clan.”
    Bai Wanjian was startled, he asked quickly: “Why?”

That disciple said: “Disciple does not know the circumstances of the matter. Day before yesterday the old master also killed a elder brother from Yan clan and also cut the thigh of a fellow disciple from Du clan.”
    Bai Wanjian got really frightened and his heart started jumping madly. He thought in his heart: “Lu, Su, Yan and Du , these four clans were the founding members of the Snow mountain sect, father usually regarded them pretty high so why did he resorted to such violent methods?”
    He quickly pulled that disciple to one side and waited for Min Rou and Shi Potian to walk afar and asked: “For what matter?”

That disciple said: “Disciple does not know the circumstances. Old master has killed the fellow disciples and everyone is flustered. Yesterday, younger brother Zhang and Ma did not keep the books and letters properly and old master was extremely angry and tried to kill him. It was only after elder brother Feng intervened that they managed to save their life. I hope that now you people have returned, you will urge the old gentleman to ….”

Bai Wanjian also asked several questions and then walked towards the hall immediately, he saw Feng Wanli accompanying the Shi couple and having teas. He said: “You two please sit here at ease. Younger brother will accompany you in a moment, I will go and pay a visit to my family and ask them to come out to see the guest.”

Feng Wanli knits his brows and said: “Old Master is suffering from some illness and is resting from yesterday only. We are afraid that it might be some time before he will be able to see the guest. Otherwise he would have come out himself to pay respect to the brother Shi.”
    Bai Wanjian was utterly confused and said: “Let me have a look.”

He anxiously entered the hall, arrived at his father's bedroom and stood near door, coughs and said: “Father, the child has come back.”

The curtain raises, a beautiful woman comes out. She was concubine of master Bai.
    Bai Wanjian waits for his mother. She was looking really pale and thin, she said: “Thank God, eldest son has come back; we were having a really bad time but it looks now that things will improve. Old Master Bai got ill sometimes back. A lot of physicians and priests have some and looked at him but still there is no progress. I ......I seek help from gods and Buddha but ….eldest son, you ....you ......” She sobbed as she spoke and then started crying.

Bai Wanjian said: “What has happened to father actually?”
    Her mother cried and said: “We don’t know. If disciples speak incorrect words, then old Master Bai is simply filled with rage and has already killed several disciples continually. The old master have went mad and is shaking all over; he is having cramps and salivating from his mouth. He is not saying any words as him a stroke have hit him. Some people said it is a stroke but I did not know....” she kept on sobbing as she told these words.

Bai Wanjian heard “stroke” these two characters and felt as if his whole body is just plunged in to ice water. He didn’t say anything to his mother and yelled: “Father!” He moved to the bedroom. Before seeing his father he saw his brocade hanging down, in the room there was an earthen jar of medicine and he was sitting in front of boiling medicines and braving the steam.

Bai Wanjian went closer to curtain and called: “Father!” he put out a hand to open the curtain, he saw his father sitting motionless, unexpectedly he saw not movement and got worried. He put out his hand and with great surprise saw the heart beating and felt relived.

As he extended to his hand towards his mouth, in his bedding, he heard a clattering sound and saw a bunch of metallic pins unexpectedly. Bai Wanjian calls out in alarm: “Father, it is me; your son has come back.” Suddenly two fingers struck his chest and belly simultaneously and he couldn’t move.

This is long over due, but thank you sooooo much for translating!! can't wait for the next update. I soooo anxious to find out what happens to shi potian now that he's in the hands of the snow mountain sect

Default hey shot, made you look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gWD4g63RNI

lol
    You allways tricking me into checking threads
    Just sat a massive third year exam at uni, i winged it hard.
    dam financial models.
    Last edited by aliderhamy; 09-10-09 at 09:07 AM.

Thumbs up

Hi Abhay,

Thank you for the great translation work. I admire your undying dedication and continuing effort in giving the rest of the chinese illiterate readers a chance to enjoy the story.

I have been restraining from reading your translation for months hoping for you to finish it completely before checking in. I dropped by a few days back, and had spent some late nights glued to the monitor until I reached this page. Really nice work, thanks a million!

PS: aliderhamy, hope this does not manage to trick you to drop by this thread again

Just a little bout of illness...will be back in a couple of days.

Just a little bout of illness...will be back in a couple of days.
    ohh I also had the flue, had diarrhea and feva. but i got over it in about a week. I hope u have a short fast recovery 2

Sorry to hear you are feeling ill. Best wishes for a quick recovery and a strong immune system to fight off those bugs! =)