Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021

Thread: Xia ke xing: Chapter 10 onwards...Take 2

Thank you for the hard work. Reading this 'long lost' piece of wushu masterpiece is a great pleasure. My initial exposure to the story was from the 1980s TVB's adaptation by Tony Leung and while I knew that there were differences between the original novel and TVB's adaptation, I kept on expecting some of the adaptation's plot to unfurl. When the story ended, I kept coming back to see if it is actually completed as the plot by TVB is different and I had hopes of a great battle/final showdown.

Anyway - the TVB's version goes this way (my memory is hazy):
    SPT and the rest came back to the mianland. Before long they realised BeiHaiShi has taken over the Wulin. XieYanKe was helping him too. SPT and gang cannot defeat BeiHaiShi. They retreat. SPT's father was killed by BHS - smack on the head while holding onto BHS's legs to let the others escape.

The plot unfurls about how BHS got so powerful - initially when the 2 island's rulers came to invite the Shaolin Abott, they brought a single piece of the stones to show the pugilists. At shaolin, one of the young monks decided to secretly follow the Abott. When they were going to the island, he shuck up onto the ship (undetected by the 2 island masters and others? v. suspicious). The ship met a storm and the stone and young monk fell over board and he held onto the stone while he was blown back to mainland. The ship proceed to the island. (EDIT: BHS is the young monk) From the stone he managed to deduced the rest of the exotic martial arts (like SPT). He plotted to get rid of most of the powerful ppl in wulin by murdering some of the ppl and making it look like Zhang San and Li Shi's work. He also waited for the leaders to goto the island before launching his attack to take over Wulin (maybe he's worried about having to deal with so many people).

Someone in SPT's gang thought of an idea - SPT will pass his new martial Arts onto his twin brother SZY (revealed much earlier - not unexpected anyway). And so they train up and challenged BHS. BHS is defeated in a final fight tthat is quite disappointing in terms of special effects. SPT and SZY splitted the ladies among the 2 of them: The 5 poison clanleader, that maid, the XueShanPai grand-daughter, DingDang, there might be some more, I cant rememeber. Good life. The end.

EDIT: XieYanKe is a nicer person than in the novel, he truly cares for SPT treating him as a companion as he has a lonely life. XYK helped BHS because he felt that there was no way he could win him but I recall he let the 'rebels' escape or something. Can't really recall his fate... dont remember him as a traitor/bad guy.
    Last edited by ennoia; 12-14-09 at 12:41 AM.

Thanks ennoia. No idea TVB is so creative

I also had a feeling that this novel had a abrupt ending. the pace was good, the character development and usual acquistions of martial art was all going well..unfortunately the final big fight never came.

Jin Yong could have easily written it as a 4 book novel...

Talking

Woo! 'grats no finishing the book!!

Hey guys, we're now voting for our favourite novel over at the Wuxia Fiction forum!

Come on over and take part!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=28045

-

Quote Originally Posted by IcyFox View Post
    Hey guys, we're now voting for our favourite novel over at the Wuxia Fiction forum!

Come on over and take part!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=28045

-
    Calling fans of OTG to drop by http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?p=917844 to defend OTG!!

Quote Originally Posted by ennoia View Post
    Thank you for the hard work. Reading this 'long lost' piece of wushu masterpiece is a great pleasure. My initial exposure to the story was from the 1980s TVB's adaptation by Tony Leung and while I knew that there were differences between the original novel and TVB's adaptation, I kept on expecting some of the adaptation's plot to unfurl. When the story ended, I kept coming back to see if it is actually completed as the plot by TVB is different and I had hopes of a great battle/final showdown.
    One thing I didn't like about the serial was that SZY was more of a cheeky Wei Xiaobao character rather than the evil good-for-nothing he is in the novel. They also added so many characters it wasn't funny.

Someone in SPT's gang thought of an idea - SPT will pass his new martial Arts onto his twin brother SZY (revealed much earlier - not unexpected anyway). And so they train up and challenged BHS. BHS is defeated in a final fight tthat is quite disappointing in terms of special effects. SPT and SZY splitted the ladies among the 2 of them: The 5 poison clanleader, that maid, the XueShanPai grand-daughter, DingDang, there might be some more, I cant rememeber. Good life. The end.
    A Xiu married SPT. The other 4 (Ding Dang, the clanleader, Shi Jian (the maid) and Dong Er, the surviving girl from the nameless valley) married SZY. There was also a cute scene in which SZY pretended to be SPT and entered A Xiu's wedding chamber and chatted her up. She found him out in an instant, and everyone laughed.

EDIT: XieYanKe is a nicer person than in the novel, he truly cares for SPT treating him as a companion as he has a lonely life. XYK helped BHS because he felt that there was no way he could win him but I recall he let the 'rebels' escape or something. Can't really recall his fate... dont remember him as a traitor/bad guy.
    XYK dies. He asks SPT to meet him in the forest, but stay hidden. He then brings BHS to the forest, pretending to hunt SPT, and then attacks him. The main reason SPT could not match BHS was because he relied on reading the writings on the tablets to learn Taixuanjing. However, because the last phrase was lost, the island leaders, not knowing the secret behind the words, replaced the tablet with their own carving, reproducing the words but obviously not the strokes. SPT hence was one movement short of completing Taixuanjing, whereas BHS, having reverse-engineered all the strokes just by looking at that last line, knew the whole thing. XYK got SPT to stay hidden, and fought with BHS, forcing BHS to use that last movement at him. XYK was killed by BHS, but SPT had now seen the last movement in action, and could develop a counter for it.

I finally finished this series!!! Thanks Abhay!!!

As side note, I think TVB put forth a valiant effort to make a coherent plot with bad guy and climactic battle scene, I don't think the actual ending would have come across nicely on TV (lots of booing and exclamations of "Thats it???").

lol, wait what? That's how it suddenly ends?

Enjoyed the translation and reading it but I feel like I was given a taste of delicious ice cream only to have to snatched away with the second bit =(

I would also like to thank Abhay for his translation. I enjoyed this story very much too. The ending is ok although I wish there was some twist at the end. Maybe somebody can write a fan fiction for it..

Thanks so much for the translation Abhay.. what an amazing effort! I haven't read it yet, I'm going to start soon, but want to thank you in advance!

i'm compiled the whole book into an epub book for those who want to read this without digging thru all the thread.
    Check out WXFS translated comic of Tian Long Ba Bu
    Last updated: 02/04/2008

Well done wandering. Will you upload to a filesharing site?

just click on the epub book link..it's just on a google docs share link that anyone can d/l if they have the link

i would have just added it here as an attachment..but spcnet don't allow .epub as a file extension

but here is the link that is too confusing:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0ByW...ut=list&num=50

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

i always felt this was one of jin yong novels with un realized potential. this story should have a squeal with better villains.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

i was skimming thru thecomic version of this
    they wrote 2 endings to it

one where spt grew old with his wife

the other one, he went to visit his mom and she beat him, due to his constant beating from her, he forgot his kung fu and it is implied he was killed by her, leaving his wife waiting for him on the cliff till she's a granny

i was pretty traumatized when i read that ending

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

I remember in the series fake ending he fights with bhs to let spt see the last move so he can complete his skill and kill bhs. He dies doing so